48 coaches online • Server time: 21:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LurkingGrue

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2004 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Gave Diving Catch to one of my Gutter Runners (am thinking Leap or Sidestep might've been better in retrospect but that's another thread....) and apparently I don't know how it's supposed to work.

My understanding was that if the ball was thrown to my player with DC (Raam Whiptail in this case) and missed that after the scatter roll I would have a chance to move one space and try to catch the ball again if I was in the square the ball scattered to. However, after finally getting my gutter runner to miss the ball this was the result:

Pass selected.
SHORT PASS
PASS FINAL RESULT: Eban Deathclaw
TARGET: 4 --- ROLL: 6
Move ended for Eban Deathclaw
Ball moved to ( 17, 3 )
GET BALL FINAL RESULT: Raam Whiptail
TARGET: 2 --- ROLL: 1 + 0 = 1
Scatter roll: 3
Ball moved to ( 18, 2 )

No chance to move one square was offered. Is this one of those talents where you have to click on it when you want to use it in order to get the benefit? Is DC the only action one can do in a turn with that player (I might've handed off to the Storm Vermin with the GR and had him go out and pass, I really don't remember, but the rules don't seem to indicate that this is a problem)? Or is there some other nuance I'm missing?

EDIT: Alright, tried it again and I definitely couldn't have clicked on anything to activate the skill. I missed, refused the chance to RR, the ball scattered and my turn ended.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2004 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

You can only use diving catch if the pass is inaccurate. In this case, you already got to try your catch... which was what failed.

If the throw had been a 1 and the catch roll had been a 6, it would have worked.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2004 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, ok. Thanks much.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2004 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

If the throw is a 1 it's a fumble BMM... Smile
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2004 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Razz
You all knew what I meant...

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2004 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

pimpsmacka

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2004 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

lol zy, ill pimp slap u if u aint carefull

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2004 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't we aim at a adjacent case of the diving catcher with the thrower, and if the pass is accurate (it will it the ground near the DC), use the diving catch ?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2004 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

y would u want to do that, wouldent u just want to try make the throw, and get the spp maybe?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2004 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

b/c then you get a free dodge away from the player that's about to clobber you...and without risk of failure. Also, it could get you one square closer to the endzone...so in that way it would act as a free extra gfi without failure. I think that's why they made it so you HAVE to aim for the diving catcher.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2004 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Panda_ wrote:
Can't we aim at a adjacent case of the diving catcher with the thrower, and if the pass is accurate (it will it the ground near the DC), use the diving catch ?

nice try, but sorry.
if I remember it correctly u can only use it when the pass was meant to reach the DC player.

sorry to ruin ur dreams Twisted Evil
Cuene

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2004 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

You're forgetting the skill "Hail Mary Pass".

From LRB 3.0: "The player may throw the ball to any square on the playing field, no matter what the range; the range ruler is not used. On a roll of 1 the player fumbles the throw, and the ball will scatter once from the thrower's square. On a roll of 2-6 the player may make the pass. The Hail Mary Pass may not be intercepted, but it is never accurate - the ball automatically misses and scatters three squares. Note that if you're lucky, the ball will scatter back to the target square! Also note that this skill is very useful when combined with the Diving Catch skill. This skill may not be used in a blizzard."
stargzrrag

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2004 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Never heard all this meant for the DC player stuff before. As far as the catcher near thrower, a 1 on thrower is a fumble and not an inaccurate pass, so IMHO, it wouldn't work.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2004 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Cuene wrote:
You're forgetting the skill "Hail Mary Pass"...

Note that in order for the potential receiver to be able to use the Diving Catch skill, you need to target that receiver's square. That way, if it bounces so that it ends up in either the starting square or any of the squares adjacent to it, you can try to make the catch. Still useful, just a caveat.

Post   Posted: Jul 16, 2004 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep. Logically HMP (I like that abbreviation. HMP.) would give the most advantage if the thrower is low-ag and with little passing skills, and the catcher has Diving Tackle. This since HMP works on 2-6 regardless.

Of course, you could always just ignore the diving catch and just HMP the ball and then go fetch it with a skink or something.
 Jump to: