41 coaches online • Server time: 20:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hiring Stars ...
... is wasting your cash
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
... is never wrong
26%
 26%  [ 25 ]
... should be disallowed
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
... is lame
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
... may be an option in some rare circumstances
53%
 53%  [ 50 ]
Total Votes : 94

vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2004 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Few stars are seen on the pitch. What are the reasons?
Bad cost/value ratio?
Or something else?
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2004 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

In a open format, freebooting stars doesn't make much sense most of the time. You almost always end up needing that cash to replace your regular players, and in the long term you're much better off developing your own stars.

Some teams, like Khemri, who routinely have tons o' cash can benefit more often, but most teams would be ill advised to spend their money freebooting players.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2004 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

i like them in certain situations.... Hiring morg(or another big star) at a high tr bash game can draw heat off your valuable guys. Also if you have cash lying a roung and have some key guys out of a game they can make useful stand ins Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2004 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

First, when you have a lot of cash is a good way to spend it and be strong for next game... more, you don t care about cas on star!
Second, it s a good way to replace a missing positional player for a hard game.

Trouble? some player refuse to play against you cause you ve star...

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2004 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

When my lizzzies have 2 sauri missing the game, I hire the star-saurus. This way I am able to proctect my skinks through this tough game and donĀ“t have to cherripick opponents.
DropDeadFred

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2004 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

new mod zy? Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2004 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Stars let gobbos and flings be reasonably competitive..

btw.. your poll options suck.

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2004 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

what kind of options are these on the poll? a little biased aint it? well at least fumbbl is voting right
Trekamp

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2004 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, dont use them unless i play gobs. But i guess the most common reason not to use them is that they steal spp

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2004 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The star concept doesn't make sense to me. I would like a system in wich you could buy a regular star maybe a lot of 10 stars that Fumbbl coaches could try to buy. Something like Fumbbl E-bay. lol
Lorion

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2004 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Hiring stars works best in tournaments... you can use your extra cash on a star in the most important matches. Hiring stars in open play is normally not worthwhile unless you have a tons of extra cash (play dwarf Smile).

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2004 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a shame for stars not to appear in ranked matches... They look good on a real Blood Bowl board, but that doesn't apply really to the screen! I can see the negatives about Star Players. They soak up SPP's that could otherwise build other players up. They are costly for a one off game. And you can't always fit them in to your roster if you have 16 players (even if some are missing the next game). I've only ever seen one Star Player being used by an opponent of mine. I've never had cash that didn't need to be spent on new players, rerolls etc...

I'm sure this is another dead horse that's being flogged, but I came to Fumbbl after star players were removed as regular players. I think managers should be able to hire the permanent services of a Star Player, but as well as a joining fee, a regular wage should be paid to them as well. Furthermore if a game is ever conceeded they should automatically leave! That way you get to see some old favourites appear on a regular basis... not just one off big tourney games (where, let's face it, if the teams are any good they won't need a Star Player to win!).

Just my two penneth...
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2004 - 05:14
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I have used star players in ranked on a few occassions - because I had extra cash and was trying to waste it, or needed a one game fix because three players all had a miss next match injury, and I didn't want to expand the roster. I would check off both the "Is wasting your cash" and "May be an option" boxes.
gken1

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2004 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Wotfudboy wrote:
I'm sure this is another dead horse that's being flogged, but I came to Fumbbl after star players were removed as regular players.

Fumbbl is same as table top...stars only available as freebooters...been that way for a while.
 Jump to: