60 coaches online • Server time: 18:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Aaaah so you want to be crappy to a guy that’s only had 30 games on the site. Nice move there Matt. Encouraging the new guys.

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

If they don't start to learn the site rules, they will infringe them.
It's better to teach the rules as soon as possible.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

By sanctioning them severely? That’s a great way to keep the player base. Do you have any ability to see anyone else’s point Matt?

What sanction would you give this guy/girl if you were an admin?

What if it’s a child? What if they have educational needs?

None of this matters though Matt to you. You just take the Mortal Kombat approach...FINISH HIM!!

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't reply Matt, for once, don't try to have the final word.
Just go away and think, really think. Is a site better served by ruthlessly enforcing rules and being draconian or by giving a little leeway and seeing how things go and nudging and helping to make things go better and only stepping in hard when necessary. Even if you can't see that this is generally better, can you at least envisage that this may be a good way to do things and so, whilst you might have a different opinion, it doesn't make you right.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The sanction is: either tell him to rejoin the game (with some threat, like locking his account or whatever) and finish it or concede it.
I'm not suggesting to torture him or kill him, really I don't understand this black and white exaggeration you are trying to create.
Really asking to finish a game is "draconian"?
Really? Shocked

By the way, I don't know if he's a guy or a kid, but I think that following rules is part of your education and growth process in the society (or a community).
Following rules makes you a responsible person, and that's part of a maturation process in a person.
Also, community rules are there for a reason: running smoothly a community, division, etc. not to please me personally.
Since I follow rules, I expect rules are followed by the other members of the community.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It really is utterly pointless talking to you Matt.

Soon there will be another thread which recalls the 2nd September 2019.

I had apologised on the last incident. But still it appears. Time to let it go?

Next time it happens, I’m going to unschedule it on purpose by mistake just so I can get another date on your calendar. 😁

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

1) I know there is some MattDakka allergy, due to past posts. But to be fair, he didn't insult the site as a joke, he critizised this: "Site rules enforcement is really a joke on FUMBBL." - which you can agree or disagree on - i would disagree - but no reason to be offended. He evidently loves this site, playing a ton here.

2) MattDakkas idea would be pretty bad, if implemented just like that. But please take the idea and try to think of an improvement with something like that. An automatism wouldn't work for some reasons, but maybe a system that asks you for a click after an inusual game interruption, something like: "Please state the reason why your game was interrupted" and you can choose between some options like "agreed on rescheduling", "opponent ragequit", "no idea, he just left", "RL issue, pm later", etc. And maybe a click here added to certain conditions discribed by MattDakka could trigger a play-block on the opponents other teams, until he finishes that one. I mean, just ignore the part where he doesn't use the right words and seems to go after the admins publicly, and please take away the idea that maybe could be developed into something useful one day.

3) Imho the OP's problem IS an issue, even if it doesn't happen very often. Only things that i really hate on this site is when they do delay of game on purpose, and when they just leave. While people do long discussions on the forum and on discord about other peoples expressions in chat, about their wrong opinions, etc., leavers'/delayers' waste of time is not just "offensive" text in chat windows you can easily ignore, but it's messing with people's time. That's what it really makes it annoying. Yes, leaver-issues are only few and it's solveable with tickets or by contacting admins, but still, maybe it could be improved somehow one day?
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
The sanction is: either tell him to rejoin the game (with some threat, like locking his account or whatever) and finish it or concede it.
I'm not suggesting to torture him or kill him, really I don't understand this black and white exaggeration you are trying to create.
Really asking to finish a game is "draconian"?
Really? Shocked

By the way, I don't know if he's a guy or a kid, but I think that following rules is part of your education and growth process in the society (or a community).
Following rules makes you a responsible person, and that's part of a maturation process in a person.
Also, community rules are there for a reason: running smoothly a community, division, etc. not to please me personally.
Since I follow rules, I expect rules are followed by the other members of the community.

Would you rather we don’t bend the rules slightly to accommodate people?

It’s Christer’s site, if you don’t like how it’s run then leave.

Is there a reason why you don’t just leave it makes you so grumpy?

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I will let it go when I have the DE team record fixed (+1 Win entry with relative CR gain).
I know you have apologized and I have nothing personally against you, as I said, just against the incident itself.
Smile Still, I don't forget, it would be stupid.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

MenonaLoco wrote:
1) I know there is some MattDakka allergy, due to past posts. But to be fair, he didn't insult the site as a joke, he critizised this: "Site rules enforcement is really a joke on FUMBBL." - which you can agree or disagree on - i would disagree - but no reason to be offended. He evidently loves this site, playing a ton here.

2) MattDakkas idea would be pretty bad, if implemented just like that. But please take the idea and try to think of an improvement with something like that. An automatism wouldn't work for some reasons, but maybe a system that asks you for a click after an inusual game interruption, something like: "Please state the reason why your game was interrupted" and you can choose between some options like "agreed on rescheduling", "opponent ragequit", "no idea, he just left", "RL issue, pm later", etc. And maybe a click here added to certain conditions discribed by MattDakka could trigger a play-block on the opponents other teams, until he finishes that one. I mean, just ignore the part where he doesn't use the right words and seems to go after the admins publicly, and please take away the idea that maybe could be developed into something useful one day.

3) Imho the OP's problem IS an issue, even if it doesn't happen very often. Only things that i really hate on this site is when they do delay of game on purpose, and when they just leave. While people do long discussions on the forum and on discord about other peoples expressions in chat, about their wrong opinions, etc., leavers'/delayers' waste of time is not just "offensive" text in chat windows you can easily ignore, but it's messing with people's time. That's what it really makes it annoying. Yes, leaver-issues are only few and it's solveable with tickets or by contacting admins, but still, maybe it could be improved somehow one day?

The issue here is how Matt likes to make it public. There is no need what so ever to make this public. It’s being dealt with.

Matt’s approach to things is, at best, rubbish. There is no give.

He has a valid point. I’m not disputing it. I am arguing against his attitude and how things would maybe work better in his favour by not making things public when things are already being dealt with.

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

@MenonaLoco: please notice one thing: I understand real life emergencies and scheduling another day, what I want to attack here is people abandoning games, then not replying to PM politely offering a schedule and availability, then popping up and playing another game in the Box 2 days after their leave (but with many log ins in this period of time to the site, reading the PM, ignoring it etc.).

And yes, maybe I exaggerated the tone, but I'm seriously pissed off because it's not the first time and are 2 days now that I'm "waiting for Godot". I hate when rules are not followed.

P.S. I have been waiting for 2 days, before making it public, and after I saw my opponent playing a game in the Box.
I tried to avoid to make it public because I knew it would have generated flame, personal attacks etc. but could not resist, sorry. Sad Too much rage.

And yes, since I love the site I'd like site rules enforcement, site rules were written for valid reasons.
If I didn't care, I would just leave.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %02, %2019 - %16:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

"I will let it go when I have the DE team record fixed (+1 Win entry with relative CR gain).
I know you have apologized and I have nothing personally against you, as I said, just against the incident itself.
Smile Still, I don't forget, it would be stupid."

And there goes your chance to actually live the amazing experience that somebody would take your advice seriously... You know, they're right, when they say, you got to let go. If you focussed on the problem (which is a rare yet a very annoying one), instead of critizising the admins and bringing up old dusty stuff, you could actually see how others take your point seriously.

A lost chance for a propper dialogue about an issue worth discussing.
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

"P.S. I have been waiting for 2 days, before making it public, and after I saw my opponent playing a game in the Box.
I tried to avoid to make it public because I know it would generate flame, personal attacks etc. but could not resist, sorry. Sad Too much rage."

Look, i am no diplomate, actually i get into trouble from time to time for my way to expres myself or not having been able to identify well, with whom to talk about what stuff and in what way. Still working on it. Living in a country where the correct way of expresing yourself is WAY more important than in my birth country... Quite a challenge for me!

So, maybe you can take this advice from me: Your tone is proper for discussion with friends, maybe in a discord chat where people know you and not everybody can read it, etc. That's where you can rage and rant that way. Because when you choose to do so there, your purpose, expression and those who dialogue with, are in tune: You want to ventilate.

But here on the forum, you try to propose a solution for an issue - and at the same time critizise the admins, and at the same time ventilate some anger? This won't work, ever. Nowhere. When you mix up stuff like that, like trying to use your anger to get a modification implemented on fumbbl... That's some dark side use of the force right there. Control you anger you must. If you really want to make constructive critizism or propositions that may improve the site.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Controlling anger may be detrimental to mind health, on the other hand.
At least, in this way, I vent out some of the frustration and this is positive, although it doesn't solve the issue.
Still better than staring at the screen waiting for Godot. Razz
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2019 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but it doesn't work with the problem solving and the dialogue, because EVERY BODY ELSE IS NOT A FREAKING BUDDAH!
If you ventilate like that, it would take 100% buddahs in order to keep the discussion problem- focussed. And that's not gonna happen. Ever. If you want more buddahs, you would need to try to be one yourself, first of all.
So, ventilate elsewhere, cause if you do it here like that, you already know the outcome. And that's why people will rightfully doubt your intention of problem solving and instead see you, creating problems or even being the problem.
 Jump to: