44 coaches online • Server time: 12:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Chameoleon Skinks???
Love them
43%
 43%  [ 34 ]
Trash
24%
 24%  [ 19 ]
SKINKS ONLY FOOL!
32%
 32%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 78

Lex_Rocket

Post 1 Posted: May 25, 2020 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there, my name is Lex, like many I got back into FUMBBL because of the lock-down. I've been playing Bloodbowl in a tabletop league for a couple years. I love the game's history and how its both carefully balanced and totally broken. I've really been enjoying my time on here, mostly playing in ranked for light competitive fun and its miles better than the BB2/Cyanide experience. Lizards are one of my favorite teams. I'm not the best Lizard player ever, but I know how to feed my Sauri TDs.

I'd like to take a minute to talk about Chameleon skinks.

When GW re-released Lizards and added the little buggers I looked at the roster and assumed they were pure trash along with plenty of other coaches I know. They're pricier, lower MA, dumb skills. They look like Dark Elf assassin mk. 2, a fun idea that usually leads to a crap team. Still I figured I'd try them out here because even assassins have their place (fun/anti AG).

20+ games with a pair of them later and I'm a convert.

MA7 is definitely worse than MA8, I love speed, but in my experience consistently moving skinks their full 8 lands you in trouble. MA7 is still plenty of mobility combined with stunty/dodge and I've rarely missed that extra space.

As for their skills. Shadowing with MA7 is very meh but it still may give you a shot at forcing a dodge roll/messing with your oponnent's positioning. It is way better than MA6 shadowing and its a rarely seen skill.

Pass block on the other hand is now one of my favorite skills in the game. 3 MA isn't a lot but two of them covers a very large area. Putting an unexpected TZ on the passer or receiver is way useful, especially if that TZ has shadowing and later, diving tackle. Or you give them catch and potentially get two shots at an interception. Yes neither of those tactics is very reliable but the same often goes for a passing play, so a little disruption goes a long way.

I see them as one skill wonders pre-built for diving tackle. They're fun and fill a useful role from day one. You might only want one, you might drop them at high TV when the other skinks have doubles and stats. But I think you want at least one.

What's your take?
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

The only thing I like about chameleon skinks is their FUMBBL icon.

The only reason I would take one is so people could never call me a minmaxer again.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the answer is in the context that you're playing in - table-top and presumably your Ranked team with the 2 chameleons. In both you have more latitude to use those skills as you have an idea of how the coaches play (table-top) or can play against a team where shadowing/pass-block have more weight (agility sides). In the box you generally won't get much if any use out of pass block as the opponent's game plan is a running one. Shadowing will get them injured quickly if they're in contact too.

So my take is "don't take except maybe at higher TV"

Other reason might be to have a shadowing team where you take it on the Sauri(Sauruses?)for fun
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
Sauri(Sauruses?)

Saurus is indifferently used for both singular and plural according to GW (you can easily check it on the CRP team roster: 0-6 Saurus).
Now they are called Saurus Blocker (singular) or Saurus Blockers (plural).
PeteW

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I take one, but not because it is good, but because its mere existence as a suboptimal choice infuriates my opponents, often drawing them to blitz it instead of juicier options!

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Lovely models. That's the only positive I can find
But if you enjoy them all power to you Smile

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah yeah I get the different context. Having a couple players with lower MA and higher cost is definitely not what you want up against a carefully pruned bash and run team. Especially if there's a lot of claw around and you need the extra inducements.

I might also be totally wrong and win more games without them. I'm just surprised they're actually fun.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 19:30
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Where is the PIE option!?
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

You have a great win record there Lex. But I notice you have lost a lot of Chameleon skinks with very few games under their belt compared to your other player losses. Maybe due to putting them next to opponents to use Shadowing, and then they are getting hit?
But if that Shadowing, or even fear of Shadowing, is causing enough upset to your opponents maybe it is worth it.
Diving Tackle is definitely a good shout if you are going to have a Shadower.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Rbthma wrote:
Sauri(Sauruses?)

Saurus is indifferently used for both singular and plural according to GW (you can easily check it on the CRP team roster: 0-6 Saurus).
Now they are called Saurus Blocker (singular) or Saurus Blockers (plural).

That is like saying it is Human Blitzer or Human blitzers (plural). The plural of human is still humans.
I always like the sound of Sauri rather than Saures.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Saurii is the etymologically correct word based on my research of various similar words through various languages. Obviously, GW doesn't have a full linguistic history for their world, which is why this they haven't figured out the correct answer yet.
Lex_Rocket

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh no, I never actually try to actively use shadowing. I'm just not great at protecting the skinks/often use them as bait/value Saurus mobility over Skink safety.

The number of dead ones is from that and hot injury rolls, there were like three or four games in a row where a skink died each game and chameleons to are often 50% of my skinks on the field.
Lex_Rocket

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It is possible that fear of shadowing is causing them to get targeted more often though, in which case they die better than a regular skink.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:

I always like the sound of Sauri rather than Saures.

Ok, that's your preference but it's not the GW name.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
Saurii is the etymologically correct word based on my research of various similar words through various languages. Obviously, GW doesn't have a full linguistic history for their world, which is why this they haven't figured out the correct answer yet.

It would actually be Sauri, but we do not pluralize dinosaur taxonomic names in Latin form.