42 coaches online • Server time: 13:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post Raising a Thrall wit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Headjerk

Post   Posted: May 08, 2024 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

When i first stumbled onto fumbbl back in the day i was amazed at how much the game had changed from my schoolboy antics back in '96. New teams, new skills etc and a meta.
I immediatly rostered a new exciting team and started loosing straight away.

At the time I was informed that 3 big guy pact was awful and that I should basically be min/maxing them for maximum effectiveness. Whats changed? how come that roster/play style seems to have been abandoned in 2020 where 3 big guys is the norm?
Nelphine

Post   Posted: May 08, 2024 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

in crp and 2016, pact linemen had S access, and so you just went all linemen killers (some combination of block/mighty blow/claw/tackle/frenzy/guard/stand firm/horns) + a dark elf ball carrier.

They can't do that now, and so they're just.. very very bad. 3 big guys isn't good, its just the least bad now.
Carthage

Post   Posted: May 09, 2024 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I had some success with them last box trophy run and my build felt competitive. It was pretty boring though. Only took the rat ogre until it got block then bought an ogre and was saving for it to get block before I thought about taking the troll. The 2 bigs with block actually felt competitive even at a pretty low <1200TV. If you don't want to wait that long, juggernaut is ok too on the rat ogre.
Java

Post   Posted: May 09, 2024 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

All great points. I want to add a couple positives that resulted from the rules shift.

1) Your elf, in the long run, should be movement 8. This will make you skip a couple of the former staple nice-to-haves such as side step or two heads or big hand, but ultimately makes your offense drives so much safer and easier.

2) Random skills. Your guys are cheap and no longer have a stack to build. So roll away! The team is expensive as is, if your bunch of utility skills save you 30-50k in tv it might make a difference. Hope you get strip ball on the rat and kick on the Orc, instead of the usual opposite.
Incidentally you no longer have the Leader caddy to build. I wouldn't bother with a Leader thrower as it has the same PA as the elf, lower AG, and costs little less than a lineman and a reroll.

3) two frenzy big guys! You heard me!
The minotaur used to be your temporary main blitzer before you built your first killstack guy, but that's not a thing anymore. Now I feel you really have to lean into the bigs. They will skull and die sometimes, of course. But it's so much harder to tie two of them up. For the third one I prefer the Ogre because you can't always spare a babysitter for the slower Troll.

It's a bad team, always was. It now is the "3 big guys" team it was designed to be rather than "chaff elf & killstack".