58 coaches online • Server time: 22:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Why do you play in [R] or [B]
It is where I can easily get pick-up games
48%
 48%  [ 48 ]
I care about my CR and want to improve it
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
I play mainly for the tournaments
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
The variety of opponents and teams
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
I don't play in [R] or [B]
22%
 22%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 100

steinerp

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

There has been a lot of discussion about the future of fumbbl recently and I think one of the clearest things to come out of it is the differences in why people play.It is hard to tell numbers from a forum discussion and frankly a poll isn't much better but I figured I'd give it a try.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't seem to have the professed purpose of [R] on your list: to play competitive matches, where the implication is that both coaches will do everything in their power to try to win.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I play in Box to find quickly a game, without the hassle of picking/being picked and to gain CR points, so, I would have selected the first 2 options.

About variety: currently there is a good amount of variety in Box.
It narrows down if you play at high TV as you could expect, but overall there is a good amount of variety. I do care about variety, so I notice it.
steinerp

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine, I think that is implied in all of them.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

no its not. keeping a player with 3 niggles just to say you have the oldest player isn't doing the best you can. playing all linemen isn't doing the best you can. etc. these things happen a lot in ranked. and they generally never happen in box - or more accurately, they don't happen for extended periods of time on the same team.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

and that means, a better way of me phrasing it may have been to say 'what about those people who want to play teams that have specifically chosen not to be as competitive as possible, but do want to earn CR, and so play in that division where they can ensure they only play against other teams that have chosen similar limits'?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

If you really play to earn CR you make your team as competitive as possible.
You don't play to earn CR with a suboptimal team (in terms of roster management).
steinerp

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I see what you are getting at i think. But wouldn't that person choose "play for CR"?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

If you choose to play for CR, you try to maximize the winning chance with an efficient roster (maybe not top tier 1 but without bloat and niggled players).
Otherwise, gaining CR is but a bonus for playing, but not a main goal, just a byproduct of playing games.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Correct. In order to play for Cr, you have to actively avoid the best teams, because you know you've made your team less competitive than it needs to be, for reasons other than just winning.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The main reason for playing ranked is because it is fairly easy to get a game.

People may like the CR thing but I guess it is just an extra bit of flavour most people.

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

In Box it's easier to get a game, actually.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Note the other way is also true - some people play to get a tv matched environment, where a sweet spotted team will have the best chance of winning to avoid using the teams that their team won't be good against.
HaruHaru

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there are definitely some times where getting a game on blackbox is very easy. The lockdown has also hugely increased the player count but before that I found it easiest to get games during the evenings servertime. I.e. 6-9 servertime.
steinerp

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I was viewing the CR category as being more broad than just looking for people trying to manipulate it but to include people that like ranked/box because they can see how they are getting better or worse as a coach over time.

I feel like I should done a thread on reasons and all the variations before starting this thread. Smile

Matt as to the comment about box being easier that is very timezone dependant
 Jump to: