37 coaches online • Server time: 00:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, seems like a lot of new rules for something no one will be doing.

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
yeah, seems like a lot of new rules for something no one will be doing.

When you consider the fact that teams will have overall much lower TV than before through seasons it will be allot harder to field the perfect controlling team.

Just the threat of someone potentially throwing a long bomb will influence your tactics and player positioning, especially if you play a slow team.
sebco

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Another thing, CAB, as you seem to have already thought a lot about BB 2020 rules (but others could also give me an answer Very Happy ).

In case of a scatter (3 x 1D8), because of an inaccurate or wildly inaccurate pass, which causes the ball to go off the pitch and then being thrown by crowd, how do you rule interference ? (it's really different from BB 2016 and before, as theorical landing square is determined before to check who can interfere/intercept)

If I read the (leaks of) BB 2020 rules, it's written that I have to "place the range ruler so that the circle at the end is over the centre of the square occupied by the player performing the Pass action and to position the other end so that the ruler covers the square in which the ball will land" (= after throw-in, according to me).

But, still on french forum, some other coaches think we have to position the other end so that the ruler covers the last square before ball went off the pitch (as, with "my" reading of the rule, range ruler is sometimes too short + some players can sometimes interfere while they never have been on the ball path).

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

sebco wrote:
and to position the other end so that the ruler covers the square in which the ball will land" (= after throw-in, according to me).

Sadly the book is a bit vague about that. Logically I would expect it to be the last square the ball was in on the pitch; as per Throw in. However RAW the ball does not land until after the throw in.

I guess you could say they are Intercepting the Throw In; clearly something they can do after a Pass but not during a normal throw in!

My imagination thinkgs it must be the front row of spectators meaning the ball is closer to the pitch?
CAB

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that it is a bit unfortunate that they are a bit vague but it is logical to assume that a "Throw in" is a separate thing and you interfere the ball at the path to where the ball end up in the crowd. You either measure to the square before it enters the crowd or in the imaginary square off the pitch... whatever works for you as long as you are consistent. But using the square last on the pitch probably is the easiest.

As written you interfere the pass where the ball finally ends up but that is just weird...

You can't otherwise interfere during a "Throw In" if they happen otherwise so why should that influence during a pass?!?

I think that you have to use your judgement until an FAQ explicitly describe this particular scenario during a pass.
CrookfangRob

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

sebco wrote:
CAB wrote:
It is also interesting that if you have a 1+ passer you never throw "Wildly Inaccurate" passes. If you also have "Safe Throw" you never Fumbles the ball either.

WILDLY INACCURATE PASSES : if, when making the Passing Ability test, the dice roll is a 1 after modifiers have been applied, the ball will deviate from the square occupied by the player performing the Pass action before landing.

Has anyone found where the 'deviation as a result of 'Wildly Inaccurate'' is described?

I think somewhere on this thread it's been assumed to be a 3 x 1D8 scatter from the passers square, but it doesn't actually state that.

I can't see it stated anywhere what this deviation is.

And does everyone agree that stat increases on PA does nothing? Would it help if throwing from a TZ or in Disturbing Presence?
Java

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Deviation is what happens at kick-off

D6 squares in a random direction
CrookfangRob

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Java wrote:
Deviation is what happens at kick-off

D6 squares in a random direction

Urgh yeah. That's horrible.

So basically, don't pass.
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

CrookfangRob wrote:
And does everyone agree that stat increases on PA does nothing? Would it help if throwing from a TZ or in Disturbing Presence?

I agree PA 1+ is useless unless Wildly Inaccurate only happens when the passing test FAILS and the modified value is 1.

No it is not going to help in TZ/DP it just changes what dice roll becomes a modified 1.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2020 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

We are all clear that a wildly inaccurate pass is not a turnover, though, right (or did I mis-read badly?) You can heave that sucker, then still run players to it. Might turn into a boon for fast and/or dodgy teams who won't break through the lines. Elves, Skaven, halflings....

Also means (I think) that TTM could leave the little dude somewhere unfortunate, but still on their feet and capable of running.

If nothing else, gives us a re-think on Tactics.

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2020 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
We are all clear that a wildly inaccurate pass is not a turnover, though, right (or did I mis-read badly?)
(...)

As now (BB 2016 / LRB 6), a pass that is not caught by a player of the active team results in a TurnOver in BB 2020.

So, a wildly inaccurate pass is not automatically a TurnOver (while a fumble is automatically a TurnOver) but you only keep on playing your turn when one of your players catch this wildly inaccurate pass after deviation / bounce.

Last edited by sebco on %b %14, %2020 - %19:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2020 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm.... I was assuming that if they bothered to distinguish it would be more significant, but if you are correct that is sad and disappointing. I shall have to put rum in my eggnog tonight......

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2020 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

If the rules work as written then passing in general actually is more reliable, depending on how you see it.

A thrower with say "Cannoneer" skill will be able to throw a long or long bomb without fear of facing a "Wildly Inaccurate" and at worst the throw becomes inaccurate or a Fumble on a natural "1". As the skill modifier is optional they can use it or not to avoid the throw being a "Wildly Inaccurate" throw.

Even a player with a 6+ passing skill will be able to throw a long bomb 2/3 of the time where "6" is accurate 3,5 Inaccurate, 4 "Wildly Inaccurate" and "1" is a Fumble. So... punting the ball down the field will be quite a viable thing to do and will then require some consideration by the opposing team.

It obviously is not a tactic you will in general build a tactic around, but it will always be there as an option when things turn ugly as it almost always do at times.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2020 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

So...... What I'm understanding is CAB is a playtester?

Post   Posted: Nov 15, 2020 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

CAB wrote:

A thrower with say "Cannoneer" skill will be able to throw a long or long bomb without fear of facing a "Wildly Inaccurate" and at worst the throw becomes inaccurate or a Fumble on a natural "1". As the skill modifier is optional they can use it or not to avoid the throw being a "Wildly Inaccurate" throw.

I think that is not true. Cannoneer gives you a +1 but you still have a -2 or a -3 for a long or a long bomb. You will have a wildly inaccurate pass on 2 for a long pass and on 2, 3 for a long Bomb.

Accurate thrower will be able to throw short pass without wildly inaccurate result.
 Jump to: