59 coaches online • Server time: 21:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Topper

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I´d say u shouldn´t go below 13 players.
While it´s true that with 11 u have a higher "on pitch strenght", you´d have a hard time when players are injured or ko´ed.
With ur De´s like said earlier make sure u give spp´s to ur lino´s, when they all are blodgers (block, dodge) u have a team where the bottom level is very high.
There are severel ways to score with DE´s however the best is to go for a 3 turns TD.
Draw ur thrower backwards and out of reach of the opponents players, blitz through a side, and position your self in a "cage" using the sideline as a barrier. Then destroy his frontline, with 2 frenzy witches they´re more capable of this than you´d think.
this way ur players should stand somewhat like this. Remember in offence allways to close both sides in case there´s a blitz against u.

! !
!
! !
! ! ! ! !

Since u haven´t played the ball yet, ur opponent cant be sure which way u´ll go, and due to ur high AG, u can easily change side.
If forexsample he takes up a massive defense in front of the "cage".
And u should have a lot of players that can back up to the side u chooses.
Well, that´s how i play them. And get Dauntless, it´s a most important skill.
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

i find my self running into another kind of "wall" it happens when one of my R team get to about 230-260 when i get there i just cant get my ts anywhere near the rating.

atm my cds are like this: 262 / 198
and human :250 / 206
and i fear my orcs will be the same soon atm they are: 238 / 207

ofcourse this will happen if you have like 2 or 3 mng, but thats not allways the case
tips and ideas are welcome

thx.

mymLaban
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

It´s simple:
You have niggles on your best players.
tautology

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, the way TS is calculated gives diminishing returns for your stars. Your TS goes up the most if you have +ST players (especially elves and most especially MA 7+ elves), Blodge, and Guard. If you lack much of these (especially guard and +ST on an elf team) your TR will always exceed your TS by quite a bit. Don't let it get you down, you can make an excellent team with just skills and savy. Surprise those cherry pickers who look at your lowish TS and wonder why you beat them so easily
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
It´s simple:
You have niggles on your best players.

Embarassed

crap i was hoping that was not the case, since i cant make my self fire the 2 players you mention.

thx for the help mate.
meanandgreen

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

MixX wrote:
11 players are too few, that way even one KO or CAS will leave you with less than max players on the field - for Orcs the best is 4 Blitzers, 4 BoBs, 2 Throwers and 2 or 3 Linemen. A troll isn't really needed, in most games 4 BoBs can easily dominate the line of scrimmage for you... as for dark elves, the best strategy is to try and rule the wide-zones (using their Witch Elves) which should leave room for threatening a score with so many players that a passing game can be turned into a running game very easily - ie pour enough players downfield so that you opponent can't stop them all, or if he manages to cover most of them you'll hopefully have enough players to block and blitz a hole. And take full advantage of your relatively easy 2-turn TDs..

no, no, no!!! Mad u forget all about goblins!!! it's all about the goblins!!!

that and that I advice to take a kick skill, it rules.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

My Skavens are 210 injury free. So is my Chaos 230.

My policy is to retire ANY player with some injury. No matter if it is a consequence of aging or not. So I always have a clean team, wich is far superior to quite any other team of equal TR. Backslash: sometimes I drop down back to 190 and I need a few games to get back where I started. But the team is healthy at all times.

Sometimes firing that 125 spp gutter runner just because he has ONE niggle can seem foolish, but I find I can menage to keep my teams running in the above 200 range.

The only team I couldn't menage that way is my Vampire team. Guess why... Sad

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Well one of the proposals under the vault rules should allow you to keep a healthy vamp team. For now when you play a vamp team under vault rules you get a choice, OFAB (called blood thirsty) or bonehead. Hmmm which one would I choose? Oh plus you can get an apo for your thralls....
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2004 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

jan_mattys wrote:
...My policy is to retire ANY player with some injury. No matter if it is a consequence of aging or not. So I always have a clean team, wich is far superior to quite any other team of equal TR...

Never speak in absolutes! Razz

There are many times when it is really a good idea to hang on to an injured player. Niggles generally mean that retirement is looming but even that is negotiable. If my only kicker gets niggled, I will almost always keep him around for a few games until I get a new one. I just need kick that badly.

If I get a -av on a player, I figure it's just one of those behaviors that will rectify itself in the near future. I'll generally attempt to give SPPs to other players instead (knowing that the -av guy is bound to get greased at some point), but keep him around if he's a productive member of the team. He'll retire himself sooner or later, right?

In some cases, a lower AV doesn't even matter too much. Kahlua picked up a -av early in his carreer and it never even really mattered too much. He just wasn't getting hit a lot because of the way I used him - generally midfield, behind a screen, waiting for the handoff from the backfield on offense and slightly behind the front lines on defense to try to get in and snag a loose ball.

-AG on a BOB or a Rat Ogre just makes him slightly more useless when trying to deal with the ball. Not a big loss. Just throw them on the line and let them do what they do best. You end up losing a slight bit of flexibility when things go a little crazy but it's a pretty small difference, when you consider how infrequently you need to make that handoff to the -ag guy.

All injuries are bad but sometimes they are trivially so.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I was just telling Knudsen what I do. And yes, I do retire a -ag Rat Ogre.

The main thing is that until I can keep the team completely injury free I will. No matter what. Main reason is that most of the times one of the greatest add-ons after a match is the MVP award. And I hate it when an injured player gets it.

Just my point of view, tho. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I love injuries that aren't niggles. I got -MV on a block guard lino the other day: so what? so he's a bit slower - all he does is siton the LOS anyway. And I have a -MV on a dark elf too, doesn't make much difference. If i avoid a niggle on an injury roll i feel i've got away with it. -STR now, that might be a bit crap, but otherwise... just makes the guy cheaper (in terms os TS) and makes my team look more attractive to play against Smile
Clausbs

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting discussion for a noob like myself to follow. I'm having a hard time with niggles - and it just feels wrong to let some of them go. Like this guy: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1127944 (don't know how transform that into a 'clickable' name) Would you fire him? A friend of mine says that those two ST-upgrades are 'unique' - I call 'em plain lucky, but this guy will play until he dies on the field (knock on wood).
Or what about an ogre, also with +ST, but a fractured skull? (-AV) Would you sack him, and if so, you'd wait until you could buy a new one, right?
ChristianKnudsen

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Just an update to all of those who helped me out with great suggestions and advice. After holding on to my niggled Blitzers (who had 82 SPP between them) for a long time, I finally sacked them both, and will now adopt the fire a niggle immediately (upon being able to afford a replacement) rule. Basically only one or the other would ever show up for a match, meaning that some 15 TR and who knows how much TS wasn't ever available for play.

So the Campus Crusade for Cthulhu are entering a rebuilding phase, the moreso since that game also cost me one lineman KIA and another MNG. So for the moment I have fallen from 194/180 to 151/128, but so long as I can stay healthy, and actually earn some money, I will be able to rebuild, over time, a fully healthy team. Hopefully. Cthulhu and Nuffle willing, that is. Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

and my wall is around 175, no matter which team i have. i just keep losing at that level.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

After getting fed up with my niggled super-stars on my Scions team, I dropped all niggles in a sweeping reform program. Maybe I shoulda waited til I had the money to replace all of them first, but I was sick of them not showing up for a game, so away they went! Lost 5 players valued at over 350 spp's between them, losing a good 125+ TR and 75+ TS. Those first few games after were rough (esp when my last good player, my ogre, RIP on the field with a failed apo), but I'm clean (except for -ag linemen, who cares) and rebuilding. Was up to TR 265 before I picked up my first niggle, then got several of them in a 5-game span (and several RIP too), dropped all the way down to TR 115 again before I managed to buy back enough players to field a complete roster. Now it's up, up, and away!

On a side note, let me just say that's the first time I can remember ever seeing a big guy with DP...

Jump to: