57 coaches online • Server time: 22:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Imerikol

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I keep hearing about cherry-picking and how once teams get past a certain TR/TS, there are certain teams people don't liek to play against. I want to avoid having a team people don't want to play against. I personally try to play a mix of team types no matter what I play, but I understand that not everyone does this so I'd rather accomodate them than not get games later on.

Anyway, I have a newby orc team, but I hear they are heavily avoided later on. Of course I could play soemthing like halflings and easily get games, but I'm not interested in getting smashed all the time either. So, which of the following teams aren't particularly avoided?:

Lizardmen
Dark or High Elf
Chaos Dwarf
Any undead (not favored due to no Apo)
EDIT: Humans

These are the teams I am more interested in playing that I am unsure of whether people accept games from or not. I like a mix of hitty/speed, being heavy agility isn't a must since I play conservatively most of the time even when I have it. Of course i love my orc team, but I don't want to wase a lot of time on them if the only games I'm going to get with them later will be other grinder teams. While those games have their charm, it gets old using the same tactics (and thus basically playing the same game) all the time.

I'm also willing to take suggestions, but I'm generally not interested teams that can't put at least AV8 players on the line. Thanks in advance for your input.
Kyojima

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 07:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Here, look at this: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=development
Imerikol

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Surprisingly, that data shows that many of the more bashy teams get more games per team than many 'softer' teams that are better scorers. My big question then is if those games are just against other bashers.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK i would assume bashier teams get more games because they are less choosey of who the play.
quota

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK wrote:
So, which of the following teams aren't particularly avoided?:

Lizardmen
Dark or High Elf
Chaos Dwarf
Any undead (not favored due to no Apo)
EDIT: Humans

First of all, it depends alot on what skills you take. It's not surprising if people don't wanna play a Lizardmen team where all the Sauri have MB and all the skinks have DT.

Generally I'd say DE or HE and, if not overly bashy, humans. I find with my own DE team that I play against a variety of races, unlike I did with my former bashy teams that played alot of games against other bashy teams.

AFK wrote:
My big question then is if those games are just against other bashers.

Yes, most likely.

Edit:
freak_in_a_frock wrote:
AFK i would assume bashier teams get more games because they are less choosey of who the play.

That's true aswell Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

In my limited experience and applying some commonsense...
All teams have more trouble playing at high team ratings (260+ or so) because there are fewer opponents with teams at those levels. Dwarf and Chaos Dwarf teams are perhaps the toughest at those levels because they all have Mighty Blow/Guard (what else do you give dwarves by your third skill? Shadowing?) Chaos teams are okay if you don't go crazy with Claw/RSC...try Tentacles and Foul Appearance. Orcs are also okay if you don't go crazy with Mighty Blow, and they have some other options generally (e.g. Break Tackle for BoBs, Shadowing/Pass Block for Blitzers) Of course you should have SOME mighty blow or you won't be proper orcs Wink but 8-9 guys with mighty blow can be a real team killer. Elves have the most variety with sidestep/pass block/shadowing/diving tackle/leap as potential development options, as well as running or passing game potential. And most people aren't afraid of elves at least Smile
For the record, I find just about all highly rated Dwarf and Chaos Dwarf teams to be pretty alarming...but then again I've been primarily playing with elves Wink I played many games against Orcs and Chaos when my Dark Elves were high and mighty, but those dwarves would just wreck my team.
tautology

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, I find that TR 275+ games are tremendously exciting and fun to play, a true test of bloodbowl skills and a hard fought battle. I wish more folks played at those levels...and that it were easier to maintain those levels for a team.
Covertfun

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

perhaps also Bashier teams wind up with more games per team because

they last longer - higher armour, fewer blocks thrown against them, less chance of a single, super-crippling game or even terrible attrition.

surprised nobody thought of that - Av9 is A LOT better then Av8 - your players last longer, your team lasts longer - more games per team.

Furthermore, your TR tends to increase marginally slower than a set of ninja Wood Elves - therefore by the time you get to the TR where you play against people that can really F*** sh** up, you've played more games.

As to the question - play High Elves. I have played high elves in the Southern Wastelands League (which roolz, by the way). Naturally, as a result of the even distribution race restrictions in place, I have played them against a good spread of teams (especially Chaos Dwarves, it seems).

Apart from the recent tragic loss of my St4 Blodge lino (only two games after he "bulked up"), my team is in good shape And, what's more... nobody's afraid to play them, they are tough enough, but they don't murder people routinely.

I have found them really fun. I hope you will, too Smile
Topper

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I belive too, as said ealier that it´s the skills, not the team that decides.
Personally I try and play all that is available, but if i can choose between a Dwarf and a Skaven team fx with my 200+ woodies, i know where to go.
Obviously it´s not fun to lose players, but u can´t control it.
In a recent match i was struck by irony.
My opponent had Claw/rsc on a player, and i blitzed and fouled him a lot. The very turn i got him out, i said "now i can relax" first block after that killed my block, kick lino.......
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
By the way, I find that TR 275+ games are tremendously exciting and fun to play, a true test of bloodbowl skills and a hard fought battle. I wish more folks played at those levels...and that it were easier to maintain those levels for a team.

That's true. Or, that WOULD be true. The problem is that an elf team vs a chaos team would end up so beaten that it would need ten games just to recover.

In a single match, with no "consequences" (say, a game where nobody uploads the results), I agree that high TRs mean more interesting challenges (and matches less prone to pure luck, wich is great IMHO).

Unfortunately, at higher TRs very few dare to risk the very existence of a team just to play one match. Rolling Eyes

BTW: no, I never refuse a challenge.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

The stats shown before, are they really reliable?

I believe an elf team avoids real bashers at high TR so how can't it be biased (biaisé in french; maybe this word doesn't exist but I'm sure you understand what I mean)
slyspygb

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I avoid all teams that aren't halflings or gobbos.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm mustbe misunderstanding the race development stats. It looks to me like there isn't a single race with higher then 50% win ratio up to 199 TR. Someone please explain how I am misreading?

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Races are fairly balanced and ties don't count as wins?
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2004 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah ties of course, I knew it had to be something obvious, thanks. Smile