41 coaches online • Server time: 18:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2022 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

The Box one-off games are the format I like better (I played in private leagues too, didn't like them even when I won a season). Feel free to mock me forever but, apart from the CR gain, I want to have some variety in the games I play.
Variety = more different tactical challenges.
Low TV (Trophy, NAF, RRR and similar stuff) don't provide what I want from a BB game and bore me.
Burtblahblahblah

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2022 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a very specific set of criteria that you want.

- TV not too low
- TV not too high
- No Veterans
- No Rookies
- No Emerging Stars
- No Gamefinder
- No resurrection / NAF
- No Blackbox Trophy
- No stars (underpriced)
- No dice

... How are your coding skills?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2022 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

TV is not that important. I mean, I prefer to play without a big TV gap, but I know that with these silly rules lots of Inducements are possible.
Without Clawmb high TV is manageable (Clawmb and Cpomb created easily sudden "swings" in terms of TV on pitch). Now high TV is most commonly high AV team vs high AV team (or anyway, a bash team with lot of Guards and MB, if not with high AV, such as Khemri). Those teams, although rely on bash, don't create as easily as old cpomb teams the TV "swings".
Gamefinder is here to stay (sadly) so I don't ask to remove it.
There is no need to forbid resurrection/NAF/Trophy because I can simply not play those formats.
The Stars will not be changed because the site must stick to official rules (sadly).
Dice, I never said I didn't want dice, it's just a nice strawman made by you now.

So, from the list you wrote, I just need the filter option: Star or higher.
Alternatively, remove the anti-picking factor in the Box, so I'm not penalized if I get paired vs a low rank coach. This option is not great, though, because I prefer to play vs good coaches to get better and, as I said, low rank coaches tend to abandon games more easily and waste time. So, rank filter is the best option.
Logic says that, if I can't pick my opponent, there should be no anti-picking penalty.
Either you can pick (like on GF) and then there must be an anti-picking system, or you can't (like in the Box) and thus you should not be penalized.
If I am penalized for "picking" a random Veteran in the Box then I want a filter to avoid him.
I activate in the Box with the hope of finding the high rank coaches I can't play against with the GF, not to face the low rank coaches I could play with the GF.
What I say is perfectly logical, to the point that I feel Really Stupid explaining it.

By the way, the fact that there is an anti-picking system suggests that playing vs lower rank coaches is something negative that the site tries to discourage.
So, when I ask to have a filter to play vs not too low rank coaches I'm just sticking to the spirit of the anti-picking system of the site.
My Box filter idea is backed up by that, if you think of it.
If I asked a filter to play vs Rookies or Veterans only in the Box, then I would understand, but I'm asking to play harder, not easier, games in the Box, and this is fully in the spirit of a Competitive division.

I have no coding skills, by the way (I almost forgot to reply to that! Razz ) but I have lots of ideas (often inspired by something I actually experienced) and some could be good.
Maybe a rank filter for the Box is not technically possible, but I wanted to suggest it, you never know!
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2022 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

TL;DR give box that randomly selects YOU a match that YOU want to play ?

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2022 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait, not a match that I want to play. I didn't ask for a filter to choose the match/match-up.
I just want to avoid playing vs a coach that I'm not supposed to play against by rank difference (as suggested by the anti-picking system).
Otherwise, if playing vs lower rank coaches is fine, I want to know why there is an anti-picking system which penalizes it.
I want logical reasons.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Its not an anti picking system. It's a system that estimates your coaching ability based on your performance.

If you are enough higher than your opponent, then you are expected to win, so winning only confirms that, and the system has (as far as it can tell) estimated your coaching ability accurately, and therefore your CR does not change.

On the other hand if you lose a game that the system thinks is a sure thing, then you lose a lot of CR as the system has clearly got you ranked too high or you wouldn't have lost.

This is the same in other similar systems (I happen to be familiar with starcraft 2 mmr). Playing the game is still more desired, so if enough other criteria are met, a grandmaster will play a diamond player, even if they can only get 1 mmr if they win, and can lose upward of 100 if they lose.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, but in Starcraft leavers lose MMR immediately and automatically, not after 3 days. It's a big difference. Also, Starcraft games are shorter than a BB game. Wasting 1 hour to get 0 CR or losing it or not even finishing the game is way different.
What if I want to play vs high rated coaches but they don't accept games on GF (unless they have the advantage) and in the Box I can't find them?
How am I supposed to get CR? Smile
Competitive division, right? Or is it a League division in disguise where you gain CR points a bit by accident, when you find a good coach?
Also, is there, in Starcraft, ranking decay? I think so, but I'm not sure.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Consider trying to make more friends on the site, who will then accept playing against you. As this is a social game, that is an important aspect of playing and therefore winning.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Friends create obligations I don't want to have. That doesn't mean I don't like to interact and chat with people here, but I don't consider FUMBBL a social platform (it has social interactions, don't get me wrong, but it's not really a place where to find friends, in the strict meaning of the word, for me).
I consider the site, first and foremost, a place to play BB. I don't want to act like a false friend just to achieve my CR quest. It would be hypocrite.
Also, you can be friendly as much as you can, but Legends and Super Stars won't play vs you on GF unless they have the edge.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %30, %2022 - %00:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, but then you won't get good games. You're out of luck.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't want to beg for games. It's ridiculous and a waste of time. I'm here to play games without wasting time before, while and after.
Just, there should be a better Box, but I understand that it's not possible.
With the Box I can find games, but they are often unsatisfactory due to low quality opponents (it's worse with the hybrid GF/Box compared to old Ranked and Box).
In old Box there was more selection.

MerryZ

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Were you even winning that game you got cancelled ? Werent you stalling for a tie against way lower CR opponent and 100tv down ?

Just asking because you like to bring that game up.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
I don't want to beg for games. It's ridiculous and a waste of time. I'm here to play games without wasting time before, while and after.
Just, there should be a better Box, but I understand that it's not possible.

You already refuse to play me. You are doing the opposite of begging for games. You are actively refusing anything that doesn't meet your definition of fair. You are literally doing exactly what you accuse others of doing to you.

Last edited by Nelphine on %b %30, %2022 - %00:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

You are commenting a game you didn't watch entirely.
That guy diced me outbashing my team despite the mirror match-up. He played horribly, yet, although outnumbered, I managed to tie. And yes, I had to stall for the tie because I was outnumbered. Feel free to do better than me, but, so far, I don't see you on top with Undead in Competitive. When you will be on top maybe I will listen to you.

Nelphine: I don't play vs coaches not buying the Apo (and the other rules I wrote, in case you thought I'm inventing on the fly excuses).
Also, even without playing vs you I'm top 2 in Competitive (and I would probably be top 1 if the ranking had the decay, as they should have).
When I'm involved in a match, my own rules are important. Now, with the Box, I don't need to play with GF anymore, so I deleted them.

Nelphine

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, but I've refused an apo for years. I'm an a known hater of the apo.

So you are making up some rule that doesn't exist, and saying 'if you don't follow this rule, you aren't worthy'.

If others do the same to you, then it is absolutely fair, and you should expect to get no games.
 Jump to: