27 coaches online • Server time: 02:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Anyway, if you stop playing in a rated division for long time you should lose CR, slowly. Otherwise, there is a paradox, you could become top 1, stop playing in Competitive (but be active on the site, playing in League division) and be forever top 1, no matter if the ruleset changes. This is how modern rankings work, as far as I know. And this is not aimed at a specific coach, it's not important who is top 1 at the moment, just, rankings with decay are more accurate than rankings without decay. This is the point. If I were top 1 I still would suggest the ranking decay.

So, if PGoo does play in the Box, would your system stop you playing him because he has decayed back to rookie?

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

If I'm not wrong, as soon as you start playing again you get back to your original rank (or close to it), with the Glicko system.
So if he started playing again he should not be a Rookie.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
The problem is that the offers are often unfavourable for me, sometimes even fair, but not worth the CR risk/gain due to opponent's rank.

Dude, you DO understand that if a veteran challenges you with a superior team it IS a fair offer, do you? And that if you accept that offer, the difference in TV will likely balance the difference in CR, and give you the CR you want when you win?

What you are stating, over and over and over again, is that people should only offer FAIR matches to you, but since youre a God of Bloodbowl and they are not, you crush them and you gain very little out of it.

You're not asking for fair games. You're asking for even games on paper, played by people who are much worse than you. And you want the full fat CR gain out of them.

The facts that you find veterans a waste of time, and reasonable offers so rare, are two sides of the same coin, and both entirely your fault.

You're so out of touch it's appalling.

Last edited by JanMattys on %b %30, %2022 - %13:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not a fair offer, if I don't gain CR from it. If I risk 2-3 CR points vs 0.1 CR point it's not a logical risk/benefit. And not, I don't think that a massive TV difference is not important.
A noob with lot of Guard and MB just needs to roll dice and remove players. It's not that hard.
Moreover, I want to play vs good coaches, as I said.
Not interested in playing vs bad coaches, it just makes me get worse, not better.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %30, %2022 - %13:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

You could be creative about it, you know. Rather than ask the site to change, what’s stopping you coming up with some lovely fluff / advertising? Base it on your forum persona.

‘The great MattDakka wants to become number one. He desires only the toughest opposition, but will use his infamous methodology / ethics to select games. At 21:00 BBtime on a Wednesday, he will be ready for all fair challenges from coaches of super-star rank or higher. PM him now to negotiate a matchup, and everyone else, gather rocks, /boos and come wish hard for Dakka double skulls!’

You get the games you want at a time that suits you. Some that don’t appear to get on with you get a chance to come boo. We all get to see what you’re offered and what you accept (if we care). Be proactive, get a thing, profit? You could even run it as a site recruitment drive.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly I want to play more than 1 game per week, if I wanted to do that I would play in my own private league with my house rules, then.
Also, still people would not offer fair games. Nah it would not be a good system.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It was an example. You could suggest multiple days and times. And how do you know what offers you’d receive if you do not try? Especially if you dangle a carrot of sponsored CAS, or whatever.

Ultimately, you can get what you want now. It seems very bloody minded (at best) to keep going around the same loop of the site bending to your preference.

But anyway. I’ve posted (I hope constructively) and shall now bow out. Good luck.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

When it takes someone else's work, it's worth their time.
When it takes your work, suddenly it is too time consuming to be worth it.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

The guy wants to be No. 1 and you're stopping him you wicked man.

You should be ashamed.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
It was an example. You could suggest multiple days and times.

I don't like to play in specific days at specific times. I like to play whenever I feel the urge, without a schedule. Some days I like to play 3-4 games, other days 1 game is enough. The Box system is perfect for that. Just I'd like to avoid games like the one I've just played, with 0 CR gained: https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=4402032

Purplegoo wrote:
But anyway. I’ve posted (I hope constructively) and shall now bow out. Good luck.

Thanks, I know you don't post often, much appreciated, good luck to you!
Java

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

the poor words "logical" and "paradox" being stretched beyond imagination, here
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Java wrote:
the poor words "logical" and "paradox" being stretched beyond imagination, here

like matter approaching the event horizon of a black hole?

Carthage

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2022 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I kind of love threads where I read the first page and think "oh this is a pretty simple post" then its 5 pages of just shade. You guys are better at throwing shade than BB2020 elves!
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2022 - 14:37
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
o I want to activate and find a good game quickly.

Ah but this isnt true, is it Matt?
I am on a Discord where for a few days, before backbox's return, it became popular and amusing to offer you fair games (with pictorial evidence) and you turned EVERY SINGLE ONE down. And these were all high quality players, mostly with decent CR.

What you state you want, how you actually behave, and the games you actually take, seem very different.

I agree with you the answer, for you , is Blackbox, where you cannot be as choosy.

It is dispiriting to see you wanting to change that environment to suit your own ends, again (as usual) without any thought to others needs.

Might it not benefit such lowly blood bowl players to play one as advanced as you sometimes? shouldnt that be part of the cost of your excellence?

Either your way is implemented for everyone, or when you trumpet your high CR some will point out every time that you gained it by avoiding the sort of games where (because of variance in BB meaning even the best can lose to new players) you have little to gain but much to lose.

To me this is no different to the 'i want to play people only at my level or lower' (such people rarely think such courtesy should be offered to players they are better than) but in reverse. The ultimate end of all such mewlings is of course to only play people at exactly your level, and we just dont have the player base for that.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2022 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

An offer by a quality coach is not necessarily a fair match-up, that's the reason.
If we want to talk about that, a very good Legend coach (not you, just to be safe and avoid name & shame), who challenged me with Orcs vs Wood Elves didn't accept the reverse match-up (and he was not the only one doing that).
When a high quality coach offers a fair match-up I accept it, simple like that.

And, to reply to other question: if a game lasting 1 hour gives me 0 CR in a Competitive division is not worth my time. You can disagree with that, but when my own time is involved, what I think about it it's decisive.
If low rank coaches want to play vs me then they should do it in an unranked division.

Last but not least, we have a small userbase, but asking to play vs coaches higher than Veteran is perfectly viable, since Box draws now require only 2 coaches and I'm ready to fail some, if necessary. I didn't ask to play only vs Legends, that would be unreasonable. I asked just to avoid playing vs Veterans, because they don't give me CR, they can only steal it from me, and they keep me busy in a non-useful (in terms of CR) game for 1 hour, or days, if they abandon it, as it happened recently.

I don't need to be choosy to get CR, as the Box shows. I got to top places (from 160 or so overall to top 3 overall) in few days once the Box was re-implemented again. I just need to get decent games vs decent coaches without wasting hours or days on the GF.
With GF I could play only vs bad coaches, the Super Star or Legends offered only bad match-ups and TV gaps. It's a fact, as rankings can prove.

By the way, GF in my world would not even exist and we would not waste time arguing about such a stupid system to arrange rated games.
GF should be used only to arrange unranked games.

I'm open to play vs quality coaches, we can agree to play at a specific draw and let the scheduler decide the match-up.
We could decide a "Legend coaches' draw" time and activate at that time.
 Jump to: