31 coaches online • Server time: 01:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
intrepidwilson

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2024 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Tricky question - but doesn't the coach rating score take these into account?

I'd be interested in a Novices "tournament" of coaches with <100, <250, and <500 games. Everyone says playing more helps you improve so perhaps there's a way to offer that, in parallel to 145, where experienced coaches are available to play (and mentor, which I think is a great initiative).
datom

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2024 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

intrepidwilson wrote:
James_ wrote:
The game is making you physically ill? Quit immediately and never play again, games are meant to be fun.

I've never been afraid of a little exaggeration!

It's not good when I'm in the middle of a game & I'm browsing on my phone because it's a relentless flurry of KOs in my opponent's turn.

So draft leagues are weird environments to learn in. You are playing human mirrors in a heavy team building environment. That means there are four ways to lose:

1) coaching skill
2) team building skill
3) draft league experience (ie in-game tactics in high TV human mirrors)
4) luck

If you are short on 1/2/3 you are going to need hellaciously good dice to be competitive.

I really would recommend building skills playing tier 1 competitive rosters, heck, humans would be useful. The novices tournaments can all be found at the 145. Come back! - if you can schedule with euro coaches in DLs, we can definitely find you games
Carthage

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2024 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Wilson,
As a player of alot of those same draft leagues, I will parrot what everyone else is saying. Those leagues are really only useful as a learning experience for high TV matches, which is not what the current edition is balanced around. The current ruleset assumes most games are going to be played in the 1000-1400 TV range, where most of those draft leagues assume games are played at 1600+ so it warps certain aspects of the game sometimes significantly.
Anecdotally, I hit top 50 on the site playing sub 1500TV games, got feeling pretty good about myself, joined DLE2020 and got absolutely destroyed my first season, I think I had 1 tie and the rest were losses, lost 2 of my top 3 picks and ended up only redrafting 2 players from the first draft. That's how different the experience is.
If you are looking for skill level matchups and 145 isn't scratching that itch, you should use gamefinder to look for people of a similar CR level. Self-selecting CR matchups isn't perfect but Christer has made it about as useful of a tool as possible.
 Jump to: