26 coaches online • Server time: 09:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 19:29 Reply with quote Back to top

After a few weeks on this site i have finally given up trying to get a even game .

every time i go opn the pitch i am playing my own poor skill, my opponent and the dice, i must hold the record for the most 1's and skulls rolled by and player EVER.

I have had enough.

The people on the site are great people and i have enjoyed Trying to play them, but after today <having seen my 9th 1 rolled in the endzone with my dark Elves denying another touchdown, an being on no less than 7 occasions not knocking the ball carrier down with a double dice block> i give in.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
Glomp

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Shocked Oh for gods sake dont give up. People are dropping like flies around here and reality is for quitters.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

i must hold the record for the most 1's and skulls rolled by and player EVER.

Having played and speced too many games I can say many poor players make bonehead moves and then blame the dice on the results. They will start a turn making 4 2+ dodge rolls and then bitch when the next roll for a catch is a 1. Players need to realize that 1 out of 6 chance of fouling up is not that farfetched.

Start your turns with moves that require a double 1 to fail. Sure the server will still screw you but not as often. Also try coaching some CDs, Norse, and dwarves. With the initial block skill they are much easier to coach at low TR then the dark elves you have been playing with.

And instead of playing so much, try specing some other games between good coaches. You may learn some good strategies. You have a ton of games played for only being here a few weeks.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Mad Back off! I'm the real recorder in dice rapes! Wink

Quote:

Having played and speced too many games I can say many poor players make bonehead moves and then blame the dice on the results. They will start a turn making 4+ dodge rolls and then bitch when the next roll for a catch is a 1. Players need to realize that 1 out of 6 chance of fouling up is not that farfetched.

I guess you spectated some matches when a player A's rolls usually turn to 1 and B's rolls to the other side of the dice. And in a long term it is quite frustrating.
Frankie

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow! Hammerheim, you just joined in this month! Shocked

Why is the affected pathos then?
Hammerhiem

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Having played and speced too many games I can say many poor players make bonehead moves and then blame the dice on the results. They will start a turn making 4 2+ dodge rolls and then bitch when the next roll for a catch is a 1.
Umm i am a poor player but i have enough in me to set up double dice blocks and not try 4 dodges and complain.

I am talking about having rolled double skulls - reroll - dobuble skulls and 1's with AG 4 players while trying to move them to allow me to roll 2 dice block.

And forgive me but explain how me being a bonehead leads to roll 9 1's when either going for it <when no choise as unable to set up a screen>, Throwing to a player in the endzone with no one in the tackle zone and pass skill or catching with no one in the tackle zone.

9 freakin times, on thre occasions the other team scored from the resulting fumble.

My opponent on the other hand generally waltzed through tackle zone like they don't exsist and god forbid i leave them a 1 dice blitz on the ball carrier, Pow for sure.

arghh bumflaps , another fumble. Why can't these Gobbo's just pick the ball up?
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Rehab is for quitters
Mully

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

And forgive me but explain how me being a bonehead leads to roll 9 1's when either going for it <when no choise as unable to set up a screen>,

Well bad dice don't cause the 20% winning percentage you have. Chances are high, that poor play/set up/strategy/whatever led you to the point where you HAD to make GFIs of other rolls to score. If you want to blame the dice, fine. We all go through crap streaks where all you seem to get are double skulls and 1s.

If that causes you to leave FUMMBL fine, your choice. But if you like the game, try learning from those with better records. Spec some games, etc.

But saying your 20% win rating is because of the dice is just ignoring the fact that you are probably just a poor player at the moment. Even mediocre players can scratch out a 40% win rating with bad dice.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Quiting so soon is just silliness. If I had quit when I started, which when I started I was worse off then you, I never would have had the chance to do the waltz through the tackle zone on someone else. Its important to try again. Make some orcs and carry on.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The next time someone quits.. just go.. don't leave a post.. don't look for a reaction.. just leave... if we actually miss you we'll start a "where did soandso go?" thread. Seriously.. enough of these... tell your online buddies by PM.. y'know the ones who actually might know who you are...

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, officer! Cool
Trif

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

dont be daft! you should know that the dice are not biased, so it's just bad luck. it could hapen in real life too.

"Now that's an esophagous!"
Imerikol

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Crap luck happens. But, more often than not, it happens because the coach has allowed it to happen.
mario2

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Having played hammerheim more than once, i can honestly say he's one of the unluckiest players i've played. Sure he's no 180 coach and more often than not doesnt make the optimal choices. But i've seen people start their turn makin dodges with dwarves or roll dices against them.

Oh and hammer, listen to mully and go watch games between the better coaches here, it helped me quite a bit Smile (im no 180 coach and never will be either Smile )
tautology

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel your pain Hammerheim, and Dark Elves are actually not the easiest team to master. And for whatever reason, my Dark Elves at least always seem to suffer inordinate amounts of bad luck..pitch invasions, premature aging, lousy Fan Factor rolls, complete lack of +stat players...you name it. But please realize that you CAN get better. The key to coaching with elves (for me at least) is that you must assume that any 1 in 6 roll will fail. Don't get beat by 1 in 6. 2 dice blocks will offer a push at best. I always expect failure with a 1 in 6...save your rerolls (and have lots of them as sson as possible) for the moments when you need them most. Make a plan that requires the fewest dice rolls and don't roll the dice any more than is required for your plan (and yes, you should have a plan every turn). Gratuitous blocking is often a source of reroll burn...do it selectively at best.
But stick with it...FUMBBL is a very tough environment. Even the lower ranked coaches often have considerable skill. If you learn to play successfully here, you'll likely be the champ of any local tabletop leagues!
Before you make any 1 in 6 roll, ask yourself..."Would it be better to do something else (perhaps nothing for instance) since I am likely to fail this roll?"
 Jump to: