53 coaches online • Server time: 23:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

DaBoss wrote:
[...Are you telling me it should be a common occurance to have high RIPs early on and that "average" can only happen over time? If so how much time is needed to average out?

A statistically high number of RIPs should be just as common of an occurrence as a statistically low number of RIPs and each result is more heavily weighted when you have less games - therefore a single unlucky game can blow your average after 5 games and would hardly change the percentages after 50.

If there was an exact amount of time over which it evened out, then it wouldn't be random, how would it?

More accurately, over time, the likelihood of evening out increases. Is that better?

It looks like you're just unlucky, simply put. 64 games is not nearly enough to formulate any sort of solid statistical analysis. Think more like thousands or millions (or more). Remember , the closer you get to infinity, the more accurate your results. Unfortunately infinity happens to be really really big...

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

played 3 games with my woodies before tossing 'em..

first match decent game, nothing there. 1x BH suffered.
second game 3x RIP
3'rd match only BH's again.

no SI's, but alot of RIPs, especially after 2'nd match..

Was just the team that came to mind when reading that post heh
Arlecchino

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

88 (86/52/31 - 26/35/20)

Stats of my 55games necro team.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

To get a proper feel, look at teams having played a lot of games and/or had a lot of cas inflicted/suffered. My most experienced human team (av 8, so average) has caused/endured:

106/57/38-104/61/27

over the course of 86 games. That comes out to 53%/28%/19% suffered (just about right on) and causing 54%/32%/14%, againg very close to the statistical average. Granted, it "feels" like I've suffered more RIPs of late, but that's b/c it's happening to players with several skills who've been around for 50 games. That always sticks out in your mind more than losing a rookie after his third game.

But let's check out the ultimate in cas generation, the Deathgerbil's Revenge squad...784/481/264 - 287/173/107 are the cas numbers over 286 games for these bad boys. This comes out to...

51%/32%/17% - 51%/31%/19%

Again, looks pretty statistically good to me. To repeat, once you've caused/suffered close to 100 cas or more you can start to do statistics on a percentage (literally meaning "per 100") basis. Until then, just consider yourself unlucky with that team, doesn't mean the race is cursed for you. My skaven teams suffered huge cas in the first two times I created a team with them, yet my third attempt has out-cas'd their opposition. Just keep plugging away; the truly great teams in fumbbl history didn't get that way their first time out for their coach, but are the second-third-fourth-more renditions of teams, until the right combination of coaching experience with luck combines for a dynamite team.

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
DaBoss wrote:
[...Are you telling me it should be a common occurance to have high RIPs early on and that "average" can only happen over time? If so how much time is needed to average out?

A statistically high number of RIPs should be just as common of an occurrence as a statistically low number of RIPs and each result is more heavily weighted when you have less games - therefore a single unlucky game can blow your average after 5 games and would hardly change the percentages after 50.

If there was an exact amount of time over which it evened out, then it wouldn't be random, how would it?

More accurately, over time, the likelihood of evening out increases. Is that better?

It looks like you're just unlucky, simply put. 64 games is not nearly enough to formulate any sort of solid statistical analysis. Think more like thousands or millions (or more). Remember , the closer you get to infinity, the more accurate your results. Unfortunately infinity happens to be really really big...

Flip a quarter enough and rather then landing on heads or tails it will eventually land on its side.

This doesn't make it normal.

Anything can happen overtime. Using infinity is stretching don't you think?

I've played more then 400+ games on Fumbbl and I love it but come on now.. I could come in here with 600, 1000, 1200, 1800 games and you'd tell me I havn't played enough and it would average out over time.

Infinity eh?
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

DaBoss wrote:
...Flip a quarter enough and rather then landing on heads or tails it will eventually land on its side.

This doesn't make it normal.

The single incident is abnormal but the string of a huge number of rolls which result in one such incident is normal. Referring only to the one time that it did land on its side is an example of anectdotal evidence.

Quote:
...I've played more then 400+ games on Fumbbl ... 600, 1000, 1200, 1800 games ... it would average out over time.

Infinity eh?

Well, close. It would be more likely to average out and that likelihood would increase the more you played. If you had a large group of coaches with a large number of games each, you'd still probably get a few unlucky souls who consistently defied the odds with bad CAS ratios. You'd have the same probability of having lucky coaches with good CAS ratios. Neither is guaranteed, however. They're just likelihoods, not absolutes (until you get to an infinite number of rolls, which is, of course, impossible).

Claiming that playing 600 games earns you a guaranteed average CAS ratio is patently false. It's the same as saying that a 2+ roll with a reroll means you are guaranteed to make it because the odds are in your favor. Extrapolating that over whatever number of games and rolls that you choose is simply a matter of degrees. The core argument still stands.

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

when they are ,aking polls in denmark. they use about 800 people. randomly selected from all over the country. that way you get a good estimate of what the hole of denmark would vote. within a 5% margin.

flixes Ambassadors of Light has at this time recived/caused 164/93/39 - 174/153/62 cas.
total 685 cas.
bh=338=49,3%
si=246=35,9%
rip=101=14,7%

now those stats are well within the 5% margin for error. so the cas dice isen't curropt.

now daboss you posted your faction teams had 39bh31si25rip.
total 95 cas
bh=39=41,0%
si=31=32,6%
rip=25=26,3%
now that is fare from within the 5% margin used at 800 colletion. so all this tells you is that your looking at to short a horizont. but as you can see 186 matches seems to be a good benchmark. or rather 685 cas.

edited: fixed some grama.
Rimmer

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigh...
For it to be right (average) you have to take every injury roll in the entire world in account. So of course some teams will have high RIP rate and some will have a low one.

If you run a computer program to randomize numbers 1 thru 6 you will have slight deveations even if you roll some 100'000 "rolls".

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently rearranged my computer room. Since I moved the monitor closer to the window I have noticed a large increase in the number of RIPS.
Should I move it back? Is the light affecting the client? Perhaps if I close the curtains?

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2004 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Well:
- The light is simply electro-magnetic radiation.
- It will heat up the objects it comes in contact with by transferring its momentum into said object.
- Heating an object up means making its subatomic particles vibrate faster.
- Your computer's system clock is basically a crystal that vibrates.
- By heating that crystal, you're changing the way its subatomic components vibrate and therefore changing the system clock.
- The system clock is used in calculating the seed for the PRNG.
- Therefore the arrangement of your room and your feng shui determines your die rolls!

Always remember: For good luck, put your computer along the north wall and hang something red on the south wall to focus chi into good rolls!

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's see...north wall, got it...red south, got it...focus chi...CHI??? I thought it was SHE!!! No wonder the odds haven't been going well of late... Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it's "chi". Now let that poor girl go. She misses her family.

"It puts the lotion in the basket!"

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2004 - 18:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

There are currently a total of 1,048,935 casualties reported in all matches. These are distributed as follows:

BH: 526,022 (50.15%)
SI: 349,477 (33.32%)
RIP: 173,436 RIP (16.53%)

Given the proximity to the theoretical 50%, 33.33% and 16.67% I really don't see a reason to worry about the randomizer... Regardless of the effects that chi, feng shui and/or karma has on the rolls Smile
SkiJunkie

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2004 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL. Over one million served.

Mirror - http://javabbowl.no-ip.org
Mirror - http://home.austin.rr.com/javabbowl
tassel

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2004 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

My Orcs have funny stats with cas: (17/6/10 - 16/1/5)
I mean, who likes the niggles anyway? BH or RIP I always say. Wink
 Jump to: