74 coaches online • Server time: 20:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jetliracer

Post 22 Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

We're a bunch of relative noobies setting up a real life BB league (yes - they do exist) with 4 teams. Woodies, Norse, Necro and Undead.
We will be playing a double round-robin for a total of 6 games in the first season.
For practice I have played my Wood Elves in a couple of games on FUMBBL against the Undead coach. I'm 1-1 i wins but I am getting absolutely cornholed in casualties. Sad I'm expecting a similar treatment by the Norse and Necro. I've searched the forum for advice and found some good stuff- but most of it pertains to woodies with a variety of skills gained over time.
Any advice to a brand new bunch of elves in terms of composition, defense tactics and first skill choice against the bashy teams?
Thanks in advance.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

You will possibly be earning SPP's at a much faster rate then the other coaches, so your team should improve quickly to allow for the low number of players you will have.

As soon as the ball is protected, maybe try and ensure your players are dodged out of Mighty Blow player zones.

Like most elves, you will be trying to defend from a square away from your opp's players until you see an opening, if you place all your players in zones, you will lose numbers.

In fast small leagues, your WarDancers can cause havoc, so they will maybe be the key to your success.

Mainly though, pray to Nuffle ... he may not always respond, but maybe, just maybe when you need him ... he'll be there.
Korso

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

When you have done all your important moves, then do most of your double dice blocks. To be certain, do the (double dice) blocks that won't leave any of your players in the tackle zone of the pushed opposing player. Then dodge away with the players that you don't get to making blocks with double dice.
Ludicruz

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Always difficult with AV7 players...Norse will most likely have som trouble with CAS against Necro and Undead as well...although they will be better protected than you WE's with all skilled with block.

I must agree with former advise...try to never stay in contact with your opp. dodge away, if possible, and let him blitz to get to you...then run in circles and score multiple td's and try to spread them SPP's as much as possible. Smile

Pray to nuffle...it might help...because it will be very good to get loads of dices pointing in your direction as well.
EcLiPsE

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

start with one wardancer, skill the linos first and go for the fast 2 turn touchdown in offense.
in defense take advantage of your dodging abilities and block your opponent away from you. wait for a mistake, then strike swift (preferably with your WD) and try to secure the ball with a handover/pass.
as skill suggestion i would take block or dodge first and skill one kicker and one or two dirty players. you will love the ability to boot ghouls and wolves. your opponent might do the mistake of targeting them instead of getting your WD down and out.
don't act as a prey. you can easyly outbash necro and undead with woodies because of your supeior movement and ability to dodge and support blocks. some decent blocks/fouls on ghouls and wolves should even out your player losses as these fellows lack the ability of regeneration.
banana_fish900

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

On defense, always have a player either in scoring distance or positioned where you can get a loose ball to that player and then move the player out of range for the opponent's team. Put yourself in the mentality that you are never more then a single turn from scoring because quite frankly with a team full of AG4--you are. Oh, and you might consider an all lino start and pick up the RRs or an Appo at the start.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Tree... give em something to beat on

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 14:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Against that line up I'd say an apoth to start is very sensible. As everyone has said, try and give him 1 attack (his blitz) per turn, be ready to score at any time and dont worry too much if you get shorthanded as against low skill teams 8-9 woodies can still cause havok.

As to sharing the spp around I dissagree, if you are playing 6 games then scrapping the teams and starting again for next season then the important thing is to skill players up quickly, not evenly. Get a kicker as top priority, then try and get people past 6 spp. No point having a team all at 3-5 spp if the team isnt going to live past 6 games. get a few key skills early (strip ball would be another i would look for early on if you have a Wardancer) and try and either keep them at 0 and disposable or at 6+ spp.
Bartok

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I have looked at ur teams and u weaken urself to much with having low fanfactor. The biggest advantage of woodelves is that they can get very skilled, but u will need a lot of money. When i start a team i go with only linemen for beginnign. This ensures that ur special players don't suck up all ur spp and ensures u the much need fanfactor. offcourse if u only get to play 3 games the team will be in trouble but if u plan it as an ongoing league, it's a good strategy but u will need the high FF so i mostly start my team with
11 linemen and apothecary 2 rerolls and fanfactor 8. Remember that and apothecary cost 50000 but weill save players for about 70000 pr. game.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
Tree... give em something to beat on

Especially since you describe your league as relative newbies. People tend to focus on taking out the tree for some reason. The tree being the single hardest guy to take out! He can tie up all the scary players and with av10, Thick Skull and Stand Firm, he can sit there and take it all day long.

Just remember that the tree is just a distraction for your opponents. If he's in 3 TZs, let him sit there until the end of your turn. If you have a chance, throw a block. If not, he's still tying up 3 guys who still probably can't take him out.

A long time ago, I actually mocked a guy for starting a WE team with a Tree, 10 Line Elves, 2 RRs and 9FF... of course, that guy was Moxy and that team was Farwood Fire, which went on to be a huge, enormous dynasty that kicked my butt many many times over the last few years. Now I'm recommending that same lineup. Buy Apothecary first (hopefully after the first match) and then save for wardancers.

For skills, get kick on your first normal line elf, then try to get everyone skilled up relatively evenly. Block should be most important - ask those Norse. Doubles on lineelves mean guard. When you get a WD, Strip Ball should probably be your first pick. No one on any of the teams starts with Sure Hands! If you get some double-skilled linos, grab a tackler or two and some Side Step for the front line.

The last thing to remember is that it won't really be like picking a game on FUMBBL. Your elves should skill up faster than his teams. This means that a few games in, you will not be playing against even TRs, you should be the favorite - barring a few unfortunate deaths. That should make it a little easier than 1-off, even matchups.

Post 14 Posted: Nov 11, 2004 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't believe how fast I got some good tips on this post. Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, I feel a lot better now. After that last game I was pretty down - now I have a much better idea on how to handle the opposition.Smile
jetliracer

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, so our league is about to start and after giving it some thought I have decided to got with the following lineup. As mentioned earlier we'll be playing 6 games of double round robin - and most likely scrapping the teams after that, this being our very first tournament and we'll probably want to correct some of our beginner's mistakes.

1 WD
9 Linemen
1 Thrower

2 RR
6 FF

I decided against the tree as he just seems to unreliable - though with the new rules at least he gets on the field. Also I don't want to spend the money on the miniature Wink.
I like having the thrower even though elves are excellent passers in their own right. Gives me a better shot at throwing those really long passes - well all passes for that matter - and also putting those completion points in the bank. But maybe I should get another lino instead and then spend the money on FF instead bringing it up to 8?
I have noticed that my Necro and Undead tend to put the ghouls and wights out on the wing - so on offence I plan to send the ghoul to the ground and then either 2d block the wight our simply just tie him up with a couple of linos. Then I'll try and send 1 or 2 guys down the line, hopefully for a quick 2 turn TD. With woodies there are plenty of options on offence.

On defence how ever I am bit unsure of how to set up.
Any suggestions on a defensive setup - and/or comments on my lineup Question
Thanx in advance.
Colin

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I'd start with a Catcher ahead of a Thrower - you will need Dodge, Catch and the extra movement far more often than Pass. I'd also start with an apothecary. I can nearly guarantee that you will lose a player if you do not take one. Then you have to choose to buy a replacement or buy the apo, and so the vicious circle continues.

As you're only playing 6 games, you could sacrifice some FF. 1 FF equates to roughly 3.5k winnings a match, which isn't much over a short term league.

How is a Treeman unreliable? He can't use RRs, but then you only have two anyway (and you WILL need them elsewhere), and he is Str 6. Take Root now means he turns up all the time, and even if he does fail it, he will hopefully be holding up a few players anyway by then.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you're right about the tree Colin.
He's much more reliable now than before. And can even continue to block even though he can't move so all in all an improvement. Still he's quite expensive, both in gamegold and in real life money for the miniature. I think the later is why I won't be fielding him this time around...
You may be right about the catcher instead of the thrower. My catchers just seems to get creamed every time around because of their low strength. Maybe I should spend some of FF money on an Apo like you suggest.
Quick passes between linos might be good enough for getting completion points.
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally start off with a team of linemen, and 3 rerolls.

after the first game try and pick up an apoth and then start worrying about positionals (wardancer first)

although i was saving for a wardancer before with my new wood elf team, and forgot....brought a fourth reroll instead

not smart

tbh i am not too experienced in playing 6 game leagues....they normally last longer

good job playing TT (it's more fun winding up your opponent when they waste a reroll just to roll double skulls again)
 Jump to: