66 coaches online • Server time: 22:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_Love

Post 5 Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 05:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I now have to decide wich skill to give to my runner. He already has block and im not sure what to give him next.

I was considering the following tree skills:
-Dump off
Make sure the oponent dosent get the ball by dumping it to a teammate before he gets blocked. Seems like a good idea since my dwarf runners are always running with somebody next to them to better pretect the ball.

-Pass
Add a new dimension to the dwarf offense. I can now give passing plays a more serious tought. Seems like a nice change of pace from the one dimension offence i seem stuck in.

-Tackle
Have a better chance of knocking down those block, dodge players. Since runners are the fastest on a dwarf team i tought it would be usefull to give them the right tools to hunt down the enemy teams quick players like catchers(they always seem to have dodge anyway). Plus if i did that, almost all my players would have the tackle skill now, so the dodge skill is rendered useless for the other teams.

If you have any comments or suggestions to make about this thread feel free to do so. And if you think that i don't know anything and should consider diferent skills, you can also fell free to insult my brains. I only wish to improve myself so any comment is welcome.
hunter

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 05:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Did you roll doubles, or do runners have access to passing skills (I can't remember)?

If you rolled doubles, I'd highly consider Dodge.

~hunter

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

No doubles.

This is the list i can choose from:
-accurate
-dirty player
-dump off
-hail mary
-kick
-pass
-pass block
-pro
-safe throw
-shadowing
-strip ball
-tackle

If i had rolled a double i would have defenetly chosen dodge.
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 05:42 Reply with quote Back to top

For as far tackle goes: naaaah. Pass is a good option if you really want to fiddle with them as a ballcatching guy give em strip ball.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 05:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The short answer is, "Join #fumbbl_academy and ask!" </pimp>

Dumpoff ends up causing as many problems as it solves. Without Nerves of Steel, the guy who is blitzing or blocking you counts as a tackle zone... as does anyone providing assists. This means your pass is a 4+ at best and a lack of good receivers. Not the best odds. It is still fun, however, to use up your opponent's blitz and just dump off to the blitzer or runner next to him.... There's no denying that.

Other good picks are Pass or Accurate (never hurts, although you are lacking in reliable receivers, so less useful than on a human thrower, for example), Tackle (you have enough tackle with the longbeards but none on your blitzers. With 6 MA, runners frequently end up as safeties and, as you noted, they have to take down those pesky dodging catchers), Strip Ball (my personal pick here. Tackle is covered, so why not another skill which is good for a safety? Runners have the best chance of getting into position to use it!) or even something a little off the wall, like Pass Block (more to put tacklezones onto catchers and get some free movement than for interceptions, with AG3), Hail Mary Pass (fun for desperate plays, if not terribly effective) or even the nice, simple Pro (versatile, if you use your runners as your jacks-of-all-trades. Save those team RRs for the GFIs or the inevitable double skulls).

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Strip ball or pass
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
The short answer is, "Join #fumbbl_academy and ask!" </pimp>

Dumpoff ends up causing as many problems as it solves. Without Nerves of Steel, the guy who is blitzing or blocking you counts as a tackle zone... as does anyone providing assists. This means your pass is a 4+ at best and a lack of good receivers. Not the best odds. It is still fun, however, to use up your opponent's blitz and just dump off to the blitzer or runner next to him.... There's no denying that.

Other good picks are Pass or Accurate (never hurts, although you are lacking in reliable receivers, so less useful than on a human thrower, for example), Tackle (you have enough tackle with the longbeards but none on your blitzers. With 6 MA, runners frequently end up as safeties and, as you noted, they have to take down those pesky dodging catchers), Strip Ball (my personal pick here. Tackle is covered, so why not another skill which is good for a safety? Runners have the best chance of getting into position to use it!) or even something a little off the wall, like Pass Block (more to put tacklezones onto catchers and get some free movement than for interceptions, with AG3), Hail Mary Pass (fun for desperate plays, if not terribly effective) or even the nice, simple Pro (versatile, if you use your runners as your jacks-of-all-trades. Save those team RRs for the GFIs or the inevitable double skulls).

Arlecchino wrote:
Strip ball or pass

I really feel that out of these two replys its difficult to decide whos advise is more useful
Mr_Love

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advices and let you know i decided to give my runner strip ball.

Thanks again! Very Happy
Guvnor

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes I suggest strongly against dump-off. It seemed like a good idea at the time your honour. In effect it provided endless amusement for my opponents to see the runner almost panic when ran at and throw the ball away like the smallest boy in rugby during PE at school when charged down by the brick sh*thouse of the year. And it always resulted in the ball just being dropped. So even if the runner stayed on his feet after the blitz he just threw the ball away each time as it always failed Laughing
johan

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

(Purely theoretical since the skill is already chosen, but...)

Aim for Pass->Accurate->Dump Off->Safe Throw.

Dwarves can put up a perfectly decent passing game, and it helps a lot when you grow short on time.

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
Tesifonte

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

My 5 cents:
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=719
*hats off Chris*

TaChIkOmA! \o/
Mith

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

dodge on doubles
block, pass, then accurate

I practice what I preach

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=143150
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 07:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Give him the Hail Mary Safe Bloke!

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Dirty player! put that ag3 to good use Smile
Mezir

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

My Runners:

Runner 1: Block, Strip Ball, Tackle, Pass Block
Runner 2: Block, Tackle, Kick, Strip Ball, Pass Block

I use my Runners as Blitzers. I use my Blitzers as support players and heavy hitters. I don't develop any passing plays because I find that having two extra very good Blitzers on the team helps more than being able to pass. Additonally, since I am a great proponent of the Cage and Stall tactic, the only ball-moving that occurs is a hand-off when hanging around in front of the End-Zone.

On doubles I would be tempted to take Guard (To fulfil my dream of having an entire team full of Guard players.... yum Very Happy), but would probably go for Dodge.