18 coaches online • Server time: 06:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Greenfort

Post 12 Posted: Dec 14, 2004 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Is BB only about bashing each other and running for the TD in the last turn????????

All i see is beat-em-up-and-swallow-them teams that care nothing for icons like pass.

Don´t get me wrong, it´s perfectly ok to do bashers. I love hitting people!!! that´s why I play American Football... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

The point is that it´s sad that the passing teams of BB have a hard time getting started or surviving...perhaps it´s only me but there it is off my chest.

Thanks for listening everyone Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Vero

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2004 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is that passing isn't as effective as bashing.
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2004 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

yes... a lot of teams are designed to beat down then score late.....
and yes some of us just love excessive bashing Twisted Evil
the usual way to avoid this is to take softer games with your elves/skaven etc at least for a while..... but its not much fun to do it this way.

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2004 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I know... I have been trying to avoid the most bashy teams, but have tried Kemhri and etc. they beat me up in 3 turns. From there it´s only survival!!!
I love the game and play to have fun, but if a game lasts 1-1.5 hours and the last 3/4 is survival it becomes boring in the long run. Remember that we want to attract new players and teams, so we shouldn´t exclude people who like to do it a little different.
MorbidDeath

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2004 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah you guys - but you may want to realize that your passing teams work better at higher level and score more:D

Anyway - I only use my ST4 wolf which has Claw,MightyBlow,Block,Doge,Surefeet,Mv9 for scoring....and if someone gets in the way he snaps at them Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2004 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Passing is rare, because it is risky. Many coaches shun any risk.
A completed pass needs at least two successfully rolled dice. There
is the risk of interception too. Maybe some coaches who suffered from such an encounter get paranoid about it. The 1st skill they give their throwers is safe throw afterwards.

Karhumies

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2004 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Passing is fun. Especially with zombies. They make normal passes without re-rolls when you least suspect it, right after your ghoul has blown three re-rolls (and caused three turnovers) trying to pick up the ball. Very Happy

My point: Passing is fun but never fool-proof. That's why some coaches avoid it. Besides, those players who begin in stunty leeg are more used to handing over the ball.

jorila

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2004 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Just tried a game with my amazons. Seven times I failed to do a quick pass without tackle zones. That´s funny compared to the times a single dice comes up with a knock down result or a succesful dodge roll.

The matrix seems to be wrong. As soon as it involves the ball it becomes more difficult....Sorry GM

ATT: MorbidDeath - Most passing teams don´t make it that far....
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2004 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Most people who take passing teams suck then.

Why bother to smash your way through turn after turn, when you can just send the ball sailing over your opponents head!

Elvish passing games especially are a nightmare for the defence because your left guessing where the pass is going.

I'd take high level woodelves over high level chaos anyday. The woodies may die, but they'll give a good show on the way out.

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2004 - 03:11 Reply with quote Back to top

jorila wrote:
The matrix seems to be wrong. As soon as it involves the ball it becomes more difficult....Sorry GM

OI was just waiting to see how long that would take... Smile

Quote:
ATT: MorbidDeath - Most passing teams don´t make it that far....

Take a look at the top 10. Notice the top 10 throwers. Then try checking out the teams that those throwers play(ed) for. Fro'de and Alexander Lurkman come to mind.

Greenfort: in response to your note, here's an idea to try. I personally swear by it.

"Smart if you can. Stupid if you must."
(Ehler's Corollary states that it's always necessary to be stupid, so this can be summarized as "Smart first, then stupid.")

You think that each half degenerates into bash bash bash, then score on turn 8. Try applying that same approach to each and every turn. Do your nice, safe 2-die blocks and then your big run-handoff-run-pass-run play. At that point, you've hopefully set up your position with some good, smart blocking and your assists setting up a screen to cover the ball if a roll fails.

Each turn. Look for all your safe, easy moves (frequently bashing) and then the risky ones (frequently big ball-handling moves). It's worth it just for the times when it works and your odds aren't really all that bad. AG3 pass and catch are 3+... that's 66% success ratio. As long as you have yourself covered (in case the roll fails), that's not a bad risk to take. It's a hell of a lot of fun to watch the other guy stammer because you tried risky plays to end your last 3 turns (with adequate protection... remember, smart first) and then have one pay off big.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2004 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanx for the advice BadMrMojo.

The problem is, and this is gonna sound like bitching, I enjoy the most peculiar luck. If I dodge someone into 2 or 3 tackle zones it usualy works, but when it comes to picking up the ball the dice only has one side...ones even with RR´s.

All this aside I love the game and are stil waiting patiently for my first win.... It will be so much better for the wait.

Or...Maybe I just not playing well enough - time will tell.

Thanx for listening everyone

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2004 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

jorila wrote:
I know... I have been trying to avoid the most bashy teams, but have tried Kemhri and etc. they beat me up in 3 turns. From there it´s only survival!!!
I love the game and play to have fun, but if a game lasts 1-1.5 hours and the last 3/4 is survival it becomes boring in the long run. Remember that we want to attract new players and teams, so we shouldn´t exclude people who like to do it a little different.

The problem here: one thing Fumbbl has taught me - it is never about survival! Never give up! Keep at the 2 or 3 die against blocks with your lone surviving linemen to try and get that ball! Try the three 5+ dodges in a row! So someone may die! They're there to die! But every once and a while you'll pull it off and leave the bashy, stally coach cursing out his computer screen as you kill his ball carrier, pick it up and score the winning TD with two elves left on the pitch! Nuffle favors the bold! Ask anyone, we've all been on one end or the other of such ludicrous gameplay actually working! Very Happy
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2004 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
... Never give up!... But every once and a while you'll pull it off and leave the bashy, stally coach cursing out his computer screen as you kill his ball carrier, pick it up and score the winning TD with two elves left on the pitch! ...

/me buys CS3 a drink for putting it so well.

Each to their own but those big, crazy plays are the sort of thing that I enjoy most about the game. There's nothing like making a smart setup to cover you in case you fail and then pulling off spectacularly wild play for the winning TD.

Actually, I take that back. The one thing that _is_ about like that is making a smart setup and then failing that exact same spectacularly wild play in a spectacularly wild fashion and still having your smart setup hold the other guy off for a tie. Smile

And Greenfort: if you just wanted to vent, that's cool. We all do it. I wasn't sure if you were actually asking for advice so I tried to give some to make sure you have the option of taking it, if you want to do so. Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2004 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=114671

They started out with the setup in the team's bio and were quite a challenge to play in the beginning.

Keep in mind that some plays you might consider wild aren't really, well...wild at all. Jumping into a cage with a blodging/stripball gutter to take the ball from an unskilled orc lineman or even an orc blitzer has quite a good chance of success and the block will result in a turnover only 11 times in 36 tries. Have a reroll handy to maximise the chance, sit back and enjoy while this play throws your opp for a loop. Just do it - the trill of executing these plays will make you an adrenaline junkie pretty fast Smile.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

my faction DE team have played their last 8 games vs orcs, chaos, and one rotter ream. There basically don't seem to be any other elf/skaven teams for them to play against. (I suspect the main reason is that I've been playing badly enough to have no chance of promotion, but have been lucky enough not to have many deaths/permanent injuries). They have mostly been quite close games, usually with me losing 2-1, and were all fun Smile

I don't really have a problem with playing bashy teams, as long as they're playing to win/have fun, rather than to destroy your team.
 Jump to: