17 coaches online • Server time: 07:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the ofab is fine as it is , if you have pro , which you should have first skill you should only fail 1 in 12 times , so about 3 fails per 2 vamps during a game , and as long as you never try to eat a player that is standing unless you have to it aint always that tragic . Im not sure on this yet but i think you should probably aim to have a team with 5 vamps and 10 thralls , and someone mentioned only ever starting 4 vamps each drive . It would probably be a good idea as well to put a couple of unskilled thralls on each drive if you can for feeding on .
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

There are MANY tactical ways to have a good Vampire team. The fact that some players have trouble starting this team is because BY DESIGN it was supposed to be a more challenging team to play.

Several good ideas I've seen for having a successful Vampire team from folks that have been playtester's of the roster over the last year plus of playtesting while it was experimental.

1) Pro is your friend ... consider it strongly for Vampires
2) Never start a Vampire team with less than 4 re-rolls ... 5 if you are willing.
3) Never field more than 3 Vampires on the pitch at one time.
4) Always remember that you don't HAVE to bite a Thrall if you fail the roll
5) Remember that you can bite a Thrall that is already prone or stunned.

These are basics ... but I've found that just these suggestions alone greatly improve a coach's play of this team.

Galak
omnimutant

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2005 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say the Best tactic for Vamps is to not bite a thrall if you fail blood lust and Pro roll, unless it's a game winning play or some insaine circumstance. This will keep you from burning up your thralls. Also to reenforce what Galak Just said, If you must bite a thrall, always look for one thats down, even if you must try crazy dodges to get to him because if you fail to reach the thrall its a TO anyway.
MickeX

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2005 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think vamps are underpowered even at low TR. They are tricky to play at low TR though - but they can be a very strong team if used right. If we could produce statistics of experienced vampire coaches starting a team from scratch, I think they'd do fine or even more then fine compared to other teams with the same conditions.

Cents 3-4: I don't think Pro is a good choice. Blodge and careful use of the vamps is probably stronger. Remember not to specialize the vamps too much: each one needs to be able to fill the role as super blitzer.

Cents 5-6: Don't waste too much energu on skilling up the thralls. They're line fodder. Their job is to die to keep a Rat Ogre busy.

Micke X, part-time vampire coach
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=131704
Lieberoth

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2005 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the thralls are a bit cheap - I know that the other players are expensive, but maybe the should go up to 50K and have thick skull or somethin added, to represent their semi-hypnotized state.
Kommando

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2005 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

OFAB without pro: 1:6
OFAB with pro: 1:8,5
hardly 1:12
Mith

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I have just recently started playing vampires and Have noticed that injuring my own Thralls is crazy I have already lost 2 games due easily to knocking my own Thralls off the field. Once 5 in a row 3 being casualties. OfaB needs a change.

I liked the Idea of an upgraded Vamp called a Lord however I disagreed with the way the original poster set it up with no real balance. The Lord should be hard as hell to knock off the field so adding Thick Skull should solve this problem. Notice no OFab since the lord can control his cravings.

I also feel when playing that my apoth is near useless since thralls are 40K and most of the time I use him to save a thrall my own Vamps kill. So adding a weakened vamp who can also be apothed called a fledgling is my fix. In other words he is not fully undead. but he is slower and weaker then a true Vamp

0-1 Vampire Lord 6/4/4/9 160k Hypnotic Gaze, Regenerate, Thick Skull, Undead
0-4 Vampire 6/4/4/8 110K Hypnotic Gaze, Regenerate, Off for a bite, Undead
0-2 Fledgling 5/3/4/7 90K Hypnotic Gaze, Regenerate, Off For a bite,
0-13 Thrall 6/3/3/7 40K

Apoth Yes
Rerolls 70K

Off for a bite= A player with this characteristic must occasionally feed on the blood of the living. At the start of any action, roll a D6. On a 2+ the player may carry out the action as normal. On a '1', however, the player is overcome with a desire for blood. The player's team loses the declared action for that turn and the player must instead make a Move Action. If the player ends his action standing adjacent to a Thrall from his own team, the thrall is immediately stunned, no injury roll is needed as the thrall did not get injured just stunned, If the player does not end his action next to a Thrall from his own team, then he runs into Reserves to find a pretty maiden groupie to quench his thirst. Place him in the reserves box, this is a turnover.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry Mith, but a Vamp team with 6 Vamps and 2 RRs is just crazy. You should start with at least 4 RRs and at most 2 Vamps.

Vamps are supposed to be a difficult team to coach. They can be very powerful with ST4 AG4 players and Hypnotic Gaze. Or they destroy your Thralls if you have 5-6 Vamps on the pitch.
Mith

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree I did not read anything on Vamps until after I had made the team retired 2 vamps due to niggles and repurchased my vamps. I am now in the process of getting rerolls and taking pro skill. The pro skill alone has changed my game. But the team is still not balanced. I know a thing about game balancing. I have been a DM for over 10 years and a playing Magic the Gathering in lots of tourneys.

My team was designed wrong from the get go, but I usually surffer through the trouble and work things out. My main concern is OfaB which needs change. It is poorly designed when it comes to casualies on their own thralls. Its a shame you spend 50K on an apoth and you end up using it to your own players. The low armor of thralls makes them rip targets for bashing teams to decimate early and get a tactical man to man advantage.

My second concern is just how stale the team is. Vamps and Thralls with no real positionals or different styled team members to keep your intrests perked.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think the race is stale, you can make your own positional players (Vamps have G, S, A skill access, you can have some great variations there with good skills like pro, block, dodge, guard, sidestep, leap, tackle, strip ball and stand firm, jump up and frenzy on doubles).

I really like the new OFAB (even if you can hurt your own players), it adds a nice strategy element to the team. You have always to consider to not move a vamp or to reroll a failed OFAB roll.

Vampires aren't supposed to be totally balanced, they should be a little bit weaker than the other teams but they should be stronger than Gobbos/Halflings.
Kane

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

the team above is much overpowered.
thas all ....
AV9 and a STR5 vamp without OFAB

LOL
Mith

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

its difficult to develop a decent positional vamp when you spend time having to take pro skill to make them a little more dependable. Designing a team to be weak is fine and dandy but we are playing a game where balance means more then overpowering and fun to play.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Kommando wrote:
OFAB without pro: 1:6
OFAB with pro: 1:8,5
hardly 1:12

For yet another number, how about 1/2 * 1/6 (pro fails) + 1/2 * 1/36 (pro worked) = 7/72.

That's slightly better than your 1:8.5, but worse than the other guy's 1:12. How did you guys come up with your numbers anyway?
Mith

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Kane wrote:
the team above is much overpowered.
thas all ....
AV9 and a STR5 vamp without OFAB

LOL
gotta love the guy who reads the first post and comments
Guvnor

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Being partial to playing Vamps myself I like the new ideas here on OFAB.
Either keep OFAB as damaging to Thralls as it stands now (unmodified injury roll) BUT increase the Thralls AV to 8 and cost to 50k as per Human Lineman.
OR make the injury unmodified and any result of BH SI or KILLED results in K.O. maybe. Of course I would prefer just Stuns whatever, but this could make them too strong. All you would have to do as a Vamp is run from stunned thrall to stunned thrall, although the loss of your current action would still be a pain.
 Jump to: