29 coaches online • Server time: 03:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I've certainly had trouble getting started with vamps - took a while before I actually won a game (and I've still only won one), but I'm not that good a coach anyway. imo, they are pretty ok as they are.

To be honest, OFAB is not that big a deal. Sure it results in low numbers until you can afford to get a few more thralls on the team. The vamps have a lot of potential though, and you don't *have* to kill your good thralls.
Unxerxes

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

The only problem with vamps is that they are a bit too hard at low tr imo (at high tr, if played right, the vamps have vast potential) but this could easily be fixed by giving the thralls a mildly usefull skill to start off with... one that wouldn't matter that much lateron but will make the first few games easier. One idea that comes to mind (have no idea about balance though) is positional thralls. As thalls can basicly be any enthralled humanoid, you could let vamps start qith 0-16 normal thralls, 0-4 Amazonian thralls (same as normal thralls but with dodge and agility acces (add cost accordingly)) and 0-2 Norse Thralls (again same as before with block and added cost). Another way to go would be to let them start of with one of the general skills that hasn't been used as such on other rosters (shadowing might be fun). Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

There is nothing truly wrong with the Vampire team.

I've played a fair amount with them and through every single game I've noticed the following:

-Moving your thralls first is an absolute must, to prevent early OFAB and to allow for Vamp movement to places on the field you want them to go.

-Moving Vamps should only be done when necessary. Before every vampire movement I always ask myself whether I really need to move the Vamp.

-You need re-rolls. Alot of them. Their the very first thing any team should aim for. Pro is also useful. I paid the price dearly early on for not going for Pro first.

- Your thralls suck. In every way possible, BUT, their really the heart of the team. With good thralls you can compensate for the unreliable nature of the Vamps. I lost a handful of games because of this and now I know.

-You will lose games, even with your best intentions and ability. Sometimes you just can't pass a single OFAB roll, and no matter what you do your Vamps insist on slicing those thralls to pieces. That's part of the team's fun.

I'm by no means a good coach, but I at least enjoy the games I play. Win or lose I can count on some crazy plays working out and a couple of deaths and injuries (usually on my side).
 Jump to: