12 coaches online • Server time: 05:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
monboesen

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a bit miffed by this trend on fumbbl.

It might at first seem like an innoscent little prank (and in the case of DMU a bit suicidal). These groups have defined their own succes criterea of the game. Ok and so what, they are entitled to do so most will likely think.

But those criterea ranks maiming and killing players higher than winning games. That leads to games where one coach is less concerned about winning the game than really really hurting the other team. Of the groups known to me the Kaos hordes are the most problematic as the only general theme for them is to hurt players on any team.

I'm not saying that all the coaches involved thinks and plays like this. But try reading through the result threads and you will see plenty of coaches who do.

OK, but you can just avoid them is the logical response.

Yes I can. But it has two negative consequences.

1. I (and I guess other coaches not in these groups) now need to screen every game offer to find out if the coach is a member of this or that "lets kill them all" group. As the groups increase in number, it gets harder to be familiar with all of them.

2. New players do not know about these predators. They gladly accept most game offers. And as they often do not know the game that well they get their team destroyed and more importantly a very bad experience. Not really the way to make the fumbbl community grow and expand.

I'm not proposing a real solution to this (if there even is any). But at the very least the coaches involved in this killing spree should be honest enough about it to announce their intentions on their personal and team pages. And yes, I have seen that many of you already are.

It would also be decent of you not to play new coaches in these kind of matches or at least warn them of your game priorities.
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a game.. i personally play to win, and maim. I don't mind it. i play in it.
If you don't like it.. take the effort to screen.

And the noobs will find it out soon enough. This discussion is almost as much bullsh*t as the fouling part of the game thread..get over it.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Well said monboesen.

As monboesen said there is a good chance newbies get scared away from fumbbl after they had several matches where their teams were destroyed...
Teams die every day but I think if that happens a lot during the first matches the chance that u will turn your back on fumbbl is higher. Concerning this I say kill all you want MU but at least save the newbies... dont cherrypick them Wink

Last edited by Xychu on %b %21, %2004 - %16:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Monboesen: Word.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

the games called " BLOOD " BOWL , not " BE NICE " BOWL ,

I dont complain about people throwing blitzes every turn so dont complain about fouling you get 1 a turn just like Blitzing , Throwing and Handing Off ,

If your not smart enough to use your foul more fool you .

If you dont have a player with sure hands your gonna have trouble picking the ball up , if you dont get at least one DP then your gonna get out fouled .

And a bit more on the actual topic , a lot of the people who join your "killa " groups are people who are gonna Kill you no matter if there in a killer group or not , Personally I think you should be glad that they like to put a badge on their forehead that says " I am a Hater not a lover "

And the noobs that run away when they take a beating aint got the kinda back bone it takes to play the game properly anyhows , two months down the line they ll be refusing to play me cos a got a dp player anyhows so if they dont waste my time with their "LFG fluffy teams only " its only a good thing in my opinion .

Its not like getting a new team costs you anything .

Last edited by nazerdemus on %b %21, %2004 - %16:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
MorbidDeath

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Man dread has a point. This is a GAME. It is ABOUT winning and beating the other team. I personally enjoy it when a coach loses a player. I LOVE it.

This is NOT chess - this is BLOODBOWL. BLOODbowl. IF you want to play a football simulation without fouling and without players ending up dead -then go buy a good game or simulation. But this game is about maiming and killing other players - and winning with those touchdowns.

All you people that post here and complain - well I hope I can check yur teams and make sure not one has MB,CLAW;RSC;DP etc.etc.etc. - as your intention with those is to MAIM the opposition - and dont feed it that bulls**t that you hope to get BH only.

As for turning the game into a bloodbath and not about winning - we try to win and that means taking players off the pitch also - just like you lot do.

I have had 4 great players rip since yesterday - and I complained - about the frig**n dice - not about the coach. One of those coaches was new - used a dp on me to kill my mino. SO WHATS YOUR POINT???

Get on with it - and if you dont like it - dont play those coaches. And if you still dont lik it - go buy a frizzbe and play in the park with your dog. Or a travel chess set - no one dies in chess - or would you complain about the queen "taking" your bishop.......

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it's getting silly now, we almost have an MU for every race. Ranked is a competitive division, people should try to win there and not just to kill the other team... Why don't you just create those groups in Unranked?

(And yes, I've been a member in the EMU too)
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

One game my opponent lost 8 of his players , generally because my DP player got 4 casualties in the first 4 turns , and the guy cryed and called me a bad coach , but i won 3-2 , hows that bad coaching

The Unions are in ranked because people still play to win , its +5 or -5 points if you win or lose so if you want to do well you still have to pick up the wins .

And something else , if there is a coach out there who doesnt want to win and dosent score and you beat him ,and lose 8 players , you still win ,

Enjoy the boost to your Rank and Start a new team its free.

Avatar nobody plays unranked outside of league matches
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Great... you just undermined any valid point you made with that first line.

The point was that R is going from Cherry-Picking to hunting. By using no common sense and writing before you thought about it, you now sound like a basher fool. No disrespect, I'm just telling you what everyone will see after you say "BLOOD" Bowl, not "BE NICE" Bowl.

I mean, seriously... you should know better than that by now. You could call it Driving for Dummies... it would not change the point.

The point is, the game is turning more and more into a killing field, and I for one am unhappy with it. Sure, I did start the RBFN league, but was unhappy with the point of the league, causing me to end it prematurely. Still... remember, it is a football/soccer/rugby game. There will be maiming. Just don't obsess over it.

The issue is not making killer team. People make killer teams and still get games. I refer to Deathgerbil on this one. However, when you make a league of killers and assign points to it, the game loses meaning for a lot of people, for those within the league as well as those outside the league.

Z

PS. For future reference, saying BLOODbowl really does NOT help your case in any way, shape or form.

Last edited by AlcingRagaholic on %b %21, %2004 - %17:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Tymless

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

You know this is funny. Most of the teams in the Kaos groups are to high to even play newbs. There are many options for the new players. Like #fumbbl_academy. These groups are for the more experienced player to get a little bloody. So what. Its a game. I have seen the opposite groups as well. You guys say no agreements before games. Then I come across a group that is welcome to only the nice players who wont foul and try to make sure your team comes out whole and happy at the end of the game. Like the Elven Defense League. I haven't seen one complaint about them yet. So I am not sure if I should take this thread seriously. I am overly nice to new players but once I find out that they have experience I will do my best to stomp them into the ground. I thought that was the way this game was suppose to be played.

Am I wrong?

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a lot of good reasons for and against these things. My opinion is that you should not complain, because you have your playing style and others have theirs; saying it's unethical to play the game <i>in any way</i> is a far worse crime in this game than actually playing that way. Stop ragging on bashy, and we may just stop ragging on dodgy (what little we do say about it).

monboesen

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Could we cut out the "its BLOOD bowl" comments please. That was not my argument anyway. I know that its part of the game. And off course it should be. The issue is that some of you guys no longer play to win, but to kill. Or as I saw demonstrated earlier today just to ensure a 1-0 win and then hunt down the players on the other team. Fouling each turn instead of scoring a few more easy TD's and spp's

I sincerely second AvatarDM's suggestion. Go make a U group with the other guys who like that sort of playing and maim each other to your hearts content.
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Now see, I've had the idea of a Chaos war for a while, and was initially deterred when I saw Busko make a group. But then again, my concept is quite different from the R maiming group it has become.

I might still go ahead and do it in U like I had planned on it. And no, it is not an MU in that sense.

Z
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

In the Original Bloodbowl League points where awarded for casualties and the Hall of Fame was littered with players whos records where for achievement in casualties . These players where worshipped as the greatest players of all time .

The game is in fact a football/soccer/rugby/ WAR game , it is how the game is designed , what it was designed for and how it was meant to be . Why would GW of made the game to involve Orcs, Undead ,Ogres Skaven if it wasnt meant to be brutal . Why did they include the fouling rule , Why have the option for players to die ? Surely Rugby/soccer /football games dont need Death Rules , people hardly ever die in these sports and a game of football/rugby/ soccer wouldnt involve death in any form and wouldnt have the rules for it .

The game in my opinion is coming home, but thats cos i aint an elf i guess ,
Sinner

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2004 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

it's all been said before, but personally I play those maiming teams quite regularly with my delfes. It's kinda funny seeing chaos bestmen struggle to pick up a ball or the opposing coach rerolling a double push in a double push and then failing the pick up allowing me an easy score. Naturally this is a game of give and take. Bashers give brutal damage and elves take their touchdowns instead. It's a matter of good coaching to me. Sure a coach can avoid bashers... but what sense does it make. If all of you above honestly mean they play to win, then try to win against them. It's actually the best way to show them you are better coaches then they are. Elves are best suited for that purpose, as they are agile and fast.

You don't know how good you are if you try to beat everyone... get maimed take a beating, but win.

But I have to admit that those groups pose a serious threat to the community as such, because new coaches might get scared away when they face off regularly against those bashers.

As I said... all been said before... been there, done that.

Oh, the record of Darkie's Dreams against Inkaprettatori (or something like that) of Buskopanz is 2/1/0 without loosing that many players.

Cheers

Jump to: