22 coaches online • Server time: 02:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Was this fair to be called a cherrypicker?
Fair game
19%
 19%  [ 17 ]
Not a fair match up
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Fair game but not fair to call "cherrypicker"
41%
 41%  [ 36 ]
Not fair match up nor to be called "cherrypicker"
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
The cherrypicker is the one who offered
20%
 20%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 87

MorbidDeath

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. I have to bring this up. I was "offered" a game. I politely turned the game down and offered a brief explanation saying "no thnx - I dont think my team has the correct skills to combat yours".

The offer was from this team:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=87605

vs this team:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=112958

You see a difference in TR. My necro are not skilled with guard - I chose for them not to be. This guy has 5st4 players and 1 st5 and 7 players with guard.

Fine upto here no? I decide not to play because I really do think I would come off very badly indeed.

From here the guy is bugging me saying "dont play necro then",
"you are a cherry picker" etc etc etc.

I point out that i have explained myself and thats it. But he still continues to bug me - saying I have higher ST and I am a cherry picker.

I did not want to bring this out - but am real tired of many people saying "cherrypicker" when it is in fact them who are offereing a real hard game.

I offer a game and say - if you dont like it no probs. End of story - educated and polite.

SO. Take a look at the teams and consiider 2 things
1)Do you think it is fair the match up?
2)Do you think it fair the treatment of being called "cherrypicker" - when I have my opinion and my right to play who I like?.

Then vote in he poll. Thnx. I have left myself open for much critiscim here - so I ask ONE thing - be HONEST.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Wrong place for this discussion, but yeah it was a fair refusal.

If people are going to load up with claws and dp's in an open format league then p*ss off is going to be a common reaction.

Duh Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

fine point made MorbidDeath. However, the only criticism I think you may have opened your self up to is that of citing one coach in particular as being at fault. I think it may have been more sensible to have just used generic examples (copy and pasted his team and removed the names of the players) rather than link directly into their page.

Irrespective of that however, i voted fair game not fair to be called cherry picker. Game would have been fine in a tourney.....but ranked is a different kettle of fish.

I personally would have turned it down as well. Potential for a vast long term carnaging is never pleasant.
Mully

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Acoording to FUMMBL STR it is a fair game. Plus you would get handicaps. Or course the Chaos team is gonna outstrength Necro, they will 90% of the time.

Thats like saying you wont play elves cause they can outdodge you. Whether or not you are a cherrypicker has nothing to do with taking this game though.

Id have to see your past 20 ranked games or so to see if have had the superior team in most of those matchups.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel that the game would of been fair , your fastest players can move nearly twice as far as his fastest players , if you intended to slug the game out you would of lost , but that isnt how you should of played the game if you took it . If you dont want to play though he shouldnt chase you on it , its your decision
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Inquistor, I'm not sure if you desperately feel the need for validation, but I think it was a fair refusal. I'd hazard a guess that you were the 3rd or 4th player who refused, and he was blowing steam. Give the guy the benifit of the doubt.

BTW if you are going to have 16 player on a team that mostly has regen, your TS will always be higher than you can play.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

MorbidDeath wrote:

I offer a game and say - if you dont like it no probs. End of story - educated and polite.

Well that's as far as I see it - just say no, don't bother explaining why if you don't want to. No means no, as they say. Maybe you're a cherrypicker, maybe you don't feel like having your team sexecuted, maybe you have to pee real bad. Whatever. The point is that nobody should be harrassing you once they've said no to a match. If the harassment gets out of hand, report it to the admins.

If you think someone is cherrypicking around your team then, go make fun of them with your buddies if you must, but don't get into an argument with them eh? I've had tons of very fair matches turned down for totally ridiculous reasons, which DO amount to cherrypicking...but I generally just roll my eyes and wish them luck with their next match.

Finally, to answer your question - Cherry Picking as I understand it is more about making game challanges you expect to win/slaughter easily, rather than turning down matches where you expect to get mashed to a pulp...therefore your turning down this match does not seem to qualify.
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I have had some games turned down for silly reasons to.

Had my dark elf team turned down for the reason "i have a bad feeling about the game" . They are not uber bashy....nor is my record with them nearly as good as any of my other teams.

I was confused....but happy to accept rejection.......sniff sniff
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

BTW if you are going to have 16 player on a team that mostly has regen, your TS will always be higher than you can play.

I dont feel this isnt true as the durability in the match of your team is greatly increased , when your opponents players are sitting in the dead box your injured players will be waiting for the next drive .
Jared

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

In a small group of friends you each play the teams theyve got because thats what theyve got and you dont get a choice, but your friends will rarely build a team dedicated to destroying other teams cause thats just mean,

On fumbbl you have a vast pool of players to go against by comparison this means that you loose the boxed in nature you can say no and no and no until you find a fair and even match, now according to the rules that was a fair match, but you have the right to say no to them, what the match wouldnt have been is even as the other team is build to destroy other teams and that just isnt fun, now yes i know i have an ogre team and a chaos team etc and they are high str, but they dont need to be out and out kill the other guy teams,

as they say if you have more than one or 2 people with Claw and Razorclaw dont expect many games as most people simply either arnt dumb enough or dont want the team they have worked on wiped out, now i know its only a game and its only a bit of fun but if ive worked for a dozen games to make a decent team to have some guy just waltz in and blow it to bits in one game i dont find that fun,

So say no when and if you feel like it for no other reason than you dont want to,
Dont argue with people who are going nuts it never helps,
Always look at the other team and decide if its a fair challenge
But posting like this isnt very nice,

XXXtreme ball with added XX
harley-topper

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it was a fair match followig the fumbbl tr/str.

But I also think it was ok to turn this match down.
I never ask why a coach turns me down. It is ok, no matter what his reasons are. Personally I can see the point why you have rejected the offer MorbidDeath.

I get annoyed too, when people ask for reasons why i don't want to play the offered game, or why i paste my teams in gamefinder when i don't want to play a game and so on.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

My one and only gripe about geting games is people who offer to play teams of mine that i HAVNT ADVERTISED if i tell bowlbot that my dwarf ogre and faction teams are looking for games, i dont want to play my wood elves or humans but people will ask me anyway

XXXtreme ball with added XX
MorbidDeath

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not saying it is not ok to ask - thats no problem. When asked I say why. But I dont believe it neccessary to subject someone to a harrassment. Also I would like to see the coach accept the offer if it were reversed - such as his necro vs my kaos. If you know what I mean. Then would he be calling me a cherrypicker as I had more guard and st4´s......

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. This chaos coach has a very impressive record despite having little to zero in terms of passing ball moving skills.

I was called a cherry picker too for turning down a game against a kaos horde coach. I explained, I just played a kaos horde team, no thanks. Then he was ok about it. But I think some coaches in kaos horde are becoming more aggresive about finding games for their uber bashing teams. Too bad, because the kaos coach I played last night resulted in one of the more exciting games I ever played in the last month. Of course, I won because the kaos team lacked ball moving/pssing skills to get the game tieing TD in T-16.

This coach that called you a cherry picker deserves to be publically shamed. Perhaps a shame feast tonight when I get home and log on?

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2004 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:

maybe you don't feel like having your team sexecuted

Sexecuted by a bunch of beastmen, a little Freudian Furry slip there eh?

Jump to: