12 coaches online • Server time: 05:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Trif

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it just me, or do we get more worked up about players than teams?

one of my faction team just got killed a few games ago. he was my star stormvermin, with tackle, horns, and +ag. i was a little pissed off.

then it occured to me that when i think about my dwarf team Dig Dug, i dont worry about the players any more, just the team. that may be because the team has played 106 games and as a whole has more history, but with my other teams it's not like that....

just wondering what others thought on the subject

"Now that's an esophagous!"
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I always know that my best player will die. Sooner or later. By counting on that fact you don´t get disappointed when it happens.

Teams in BloodBowl are made up of two things. The Stars and the Henchmen. Neither works without the other.
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I kind of agree with you Trif. My skaven teams has played 174 matches, and now it is the team that worries me, not individual players.

On the contrary on my other teams, the loss of individual players are more annoying.

Once you've played a lot with one team, you sort of get attached to it(lol, sounds like I gotta get some more out in the real world). I remember all the good times with my skaven team, Rotten Flesh Is Our Ecstasy(and hope they will come back again)

Skeloboy
SergeiBautin

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

When your favouritplayer dies, the team dies a bit too. That incident can be the deciding factor that retires a whole team. But if you turn the tables, a really mangled team, might continue just because that really special player is still alive and kicking Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 90 game Orc team, the individuals mean nothing.

On the other hand, on another team, i will be a tad upset if this guy ever btes the bullet, he's a bit of a character http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1206280
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a 190 spp mino in stunty.....he had two niggles and i was looking forward to him dieing just so i didn't have to use the team and him not show up again....but you can't retire a killer like that

he died going for it chasing down a snotling

=D

Noble
dtahyaio

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps I am a little different, because on my longest-live team Badass Monkey, an 80 game Necromantic team, I still care so strongly about the individual players. Maybe thats because the rest all suck :S Oh well ... but just a couple of games ago, I lost my star flesh golem to a foul (well he niggled, and in a fit of rage I retired him and all other nigglers on the team bar one). I would be soo devestated if my star wight http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1042798 Imbecile Ian or my toughman zombie http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1017423 (with 77 spp in 76 games, 11 cas and 11 mvp) died.

And its the same on all my teams, within a short space of time I am devoted to several players, and despair whenever they niggle, age or die.
DrDrink

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of my teams have those shining stars that motivate me to play them, but strangely the team of mine with no players that I really care about has done the best record-wise. I probably spend less time dodging out those players precious to me and spend more time trying to win.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=119952

Of course, it could just be dumb luck Smile
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Imbecile Ian is soo cool I have a wight who wants to be just like him , so far ive got the 2 +AG and all i need now is a double and he'll be away , I always hope of one of my players will make it to be a bit of a fumbbl legend ,when those players die its bad , When a player with something a bit special dies it can be annoying but if a goblin with block dies it aint a tradgedy .

Its those charachters you know will take a miracle to recreate which are the hardest to take

Last edited by nazerdemus on %b %10, %2005 - %16:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't care...about players... not anymore.

One incident cured me of that. Nowadays, i care about TEAMS. If a player dies, or niggles, i'll retire him.

The perfect cure for caring about players is losing your favourite, alltime player twice in one turn.

Nowadays, when i kill a player, or a player gets killed.. i just think of one thing.

Death be not proud. Though some have called thee mighty and Dreadfull...thou art not so.

Death is inevitable. Just live with the loss.

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Zen buddhists believe that things are broken when they are created. If you drop a glass and it shatters, you have not broken the glass. The glass was broken when it was made. It has followed its own path to its inevitable destruction.

Which didn't keep me from throwing my dice across the room when my &?%$ 3-skilled hobbo got killed on my CDwarf team.

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm still bothered by 'good' players dying. But for the most part I care about the development of the team. It's hard not to care about a player that is moving up on the Top 10 lists for instance. It's nice to see them get on there, it's a lot of work to keep such players alive for a long period of time.

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I think as well that a quick painless /painful death is preferable to a situation wherby you have a st4 catcher , who gets a -M , and you think , okay well he aint as cool as before, then he gets a -1 AV , and you still think , you know hes still pretty cool , but then he gets niggled and you dont want to retire him , but you kinda think to yourself that if he dies it wont be a bad thing ....
Bascrebolder

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I probably haven’t played any of my teams long enough to get detached from my players. I had a really hard time when my Block +AG beastman died out of the blue on a normal block. He was my only +AG player on the team and I really needed him for the ball-playing part of the game. I feel hard-pressed to motivate myself into playing another match with this team…
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2005 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Whenever a cool player (stat increases and/or doubles) dies you get annoyed.

It is only natural. (I hope)