22 coaches online • Server time: 05:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I sort of dropped off the FUMBBL radar recently because that pesky brat "real life" got in the way. I was here thinking about looking for a game this morning, when I realized something:

I'm too damn social.

There's lots of stuff I like about FUMBBL, but the fact of the matter is, I don't head into the gamefinder as often as I should because I hate committing about 1.5-2 hours of my life to playing with somebody I don't know from Adam. I like the Academy channel because it's given me a chance to "get to know" some players, all of whom I'm happy to play against now because I know they'll be fun, chatty, not freak out when things don't go their way, put up with me when I freak out because things aren't going my way, etc.

But when I'm available to play, the channel is often empty -- the curse of being a North American playing a largely European sport -- and I just can't bring myself to throw myself into the fray and play against whoever.

Because I'm here for the company as much as for the game.

That's why I like RL BB so much... it's as much the chatter and the banter as the actual winning/losing/team development.

There's no real central point to this -- no suggestions, no real criticism, just something that flitted through my head that I thought I'd toss out here.

- Matt

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

throwing yourself into it and playing people is a great way to get to know everyone. you can chat as much as you like in game. this is the way ive made many of my best friends on here.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep best wasy to learn whos naughty and nice is by playing whoever asks for a game , you soon learn which people not to play , players who complain a lot (Morbid Death aka gingerbread man aka super stealth ninja assasin aka account maker guy ) or players that take 3 hours for a game (Wassex ) Players who are bitchy and bitter (nazerdemus )

I find that if i jabber on in coherently in the little window at the bottom my opponent usually chats back (language permiting) and if he dont i dont worry about it and chat in the chat room instead .

Unless i dont feel like chatting and just want to kill stuff
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to chat when I play. That´s also a part of BB. You meet al kinds of people. Nazerdemus wrote some types but I would like to add the guys wich are realy nice and you get a good laughter together with Wink
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah that was a rather negative post wasn't it

Umm , torsoboy is crazy but very fun to play against , Dreadclaw is good for a laugh if your looking for carnage , Kfoged is always very sporting and good to play against ,

most people here are really fun to play with
Angus

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, i lovee to chat and play... indeed we had a really good game against each other Shepherd. have to have another one:)
paradocks

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course in "RL BB" it's fun to chat and whatnot but I've found one thing I liked about fumbbl was not having to communicate with anyone while playing, it allows me to concentrate more on the game and I don't have to worry about whether or not I'm being antisocial.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

RL BB is about beer , i cant say any more than that ,

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

How to not be antisocial while playing RL BB: Create your own soundeffects. Lame but hilarious.
hugoeng

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2005 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Chatting is part of the game, and IMO its an insult to your opponent if you plan to say nada for 1,5 hours. Unless of course you warn the other coach before the game..
Coaches who dont give feedback are the main reason for me loosing interest in this game..
Chappy

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Zy-Nox wrote:
RL BB is about beer , i cant say any more than that ,

I couldn't of said it better myself. I could of punctuated better, but not said it better. Smile
mstrchef13

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 01:54 Reply with quote Back to top

hugoeng wrote:
Chatting is part of the game, and IMO its an insult to your opponent if you plan to say nada for 1,5 hours. Unless of course you warn the other coach before the game..
Coaches who dont give feedback are the main reason for me loosing interest in this game..

I don't talk much during games because I'm afraid of coming off sounding like a (1) major whiner when my luck goes bad, or (2) condescending blowhard on the rare occasions my luck goes good. My wife always wants to know why I'm cursing at the computer screen as it is.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm quite a moody person by nature and after a bad day it can be a struggle to make conversation and be sociable.

I make the effort the vast majority of the time though.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

paulhicks wrote:
throwing yourself into it and playing people is a great way to get to know everyone. you can chat as much as you like in game. this is the way ive made many of my best friends on here.

So throw yourself into my games sometimes! you keep refusing! i''m a chatterbox! Razz

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2005 - 05:57 Reply with quote Back to top

What I found incredible was that lately I've been meeting other coaches who want to play me, either because they've read my match reports and want to be a part of one of them, or (more amazingly) they've heard from a third coach good words about me. All from meeting and playing a wide variety of coaches early on. Sure, I had my share of games which were less enjoyable than others due to my competition, but I made a number of friends in the good games, and they told their friends, so the circle expanded and I now have friends I never would've had otherwise.

And even the "bad" games vs "bad coaches" can't be taken as a be-all, end-all. Take for example my game vs buskopanz--I had such a bad time of it, I'd added him to my "do not play list". Hadn't played, nor really spoken with him, for months. Yet just the other night, he volunteered to spend several hours of his own time to help me with a computer problem I was having. By the time we figured things out and I was up and running again, he was no longer on my DNP list, and I consider him quite the good chap.

Sometimes, this community of anti-social peeps (we must be anti-social by definition, if not by fact, if we spend as much time online at fumbbl as we do instead of socializing with human beings IRL!!) can be quite the place to make a guy feel welcome...

Jump to: