11 coaches online • Server time: 06:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2005 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Bumping this in the hopes that the original message is read by the people arguing about religion in the "Pope" thread......

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2005 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

For me, if someone is happy that they are Christian/Muslim/Taoist/etc, then I am happy for them. No reason to sit there and fight with them and try and argue that their view is "wrong" or "mistaken". It isn't. Their view is right for them.

Happiness and serenity are only obtained with being at peace with yourself. If that means you believe in a supreme being or that you are a strict Scientologist, then great. I'm happy you're happy.

Knowledge isn't wisdom. Knowing doesn't mean you're smart. In fact, I think that if someone did know -everything-, they'd be a very sorry, sad soul indeed.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Bumping again for the sake of the "Freedom of Speech"thread. Please consider Donald Miller's thought, "Nobody will listen to you unless they sense that you like them". I know a lot of guys are fond of saying they don't care if they are offensive or mean when they argue, but if you actually think anyone should agree with you.... try being nice, you'd be amazed at the difference.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

its all about pies in the end.
Grouchy

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

its all about pies in the end.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

hey, Im nice, but i ge ignored Razz
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I'm nice, and I ignore brownrob.
What's wrong?

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Uhm, nothing?

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity, if I follow you it ssems to me that you are talking about the human tendency for us to think we're right about everything. Even when we're wrong, we're right that we know we're wrong, if you follow me. For better or worse, here's my own crackpot theory as to why this is the case (which I am of course right about!):

Human beings are hard wired for survival. Physical survival. However, we live in a world, where for most of us at least, our physical survival is almost never threatened. He have enough to eat, and no one is going to physically attack us (mostly). So the mind, this wonderful tool designed for our survival, in the absence of real physical threats, is always on the lookout for threats to defend against. And the way threats occur in today's "civilized" world is mostly in the form of opinions--You're wrong, I'm right arguments. The mind sees an attack on one's opinions or ego as no different from an attack on one's physical being. So, when we feel "attacked", we fight back. Said another way, the ultimate way to survive in today's world is to be right about everything. You notice how some fanatics are more concerned with being right than in their own physical survival? With some people, the mind is more concerned with the survival of its opinions than the survival of the physical body. It's a cliche, but a true one, that wars are fought about who is right and who is wrong. It could be religion, it could be politics, it could be turn time limits in blood bowl. Human beings just want to be right about everything!

Incidentally, one of the things I love about games is that it gives concrete reality to the worth (or lack thereof) of one's opinions. Your success on the pitch (or whatever game) speaks louder than your opinion about how to win the game. I also find it interesting that games with a decent luck component, like Blood Bowl, people don't improve and become nearly as good players as they do in games like chess that lack luck, because the mind can blame the dice instead of one's strategies--The dice do indeed decide some games, which allows the mind to deceive itself. But that's for another rant...
 Jump to: