18 coaches online • Server time: 05:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Barnlato

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Some likes them cute, some realistic, some think this is just a version of a board game, so the icons should look like the figs... client really needs an option for selecting different icon sets like the pitch changing is done. This "edit the icons.ini" -system is way too compilicated and error prone. But this would eventually lead to a need of a configuation editor program... Ski might not want to get into that, but there is a tons of great icons unknown to the great audience.

Personally I like your new figure based icons (I haven't seen the actual minatures yet) but I'd prefer the black (or atleast very dark colored) outline for playability. With some greenskins, they tend to camouflage themselves on some of my custom pitches B-)

I haven't tested the icon set with a cathode tube monitor, just with my uncalibrated LCD but it seems that some of your blended colors, particularly blues, could also use a little more contrast, just to make the muscles bulge. This is a personal opinion only, but I'm for the old time black-outlined-sprites, since after all, Javabowl is a computer game.

And what comes to the ozjesting's opinion of appearance differences not distinguishing the positions enough, maybe you shouldn't be too strict with following the look of the figs? We all want this exceptionally well made icon set in use for ourselves and to be as playable it can be.

I'm amazed where did you find the time the make all this? As I know how hard it can sometimes be to place a pixel in it's place...B-)
nkelsch

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 23:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I am trying to update these things without deviating too far from the figs or reiventing the icons from scratch. I may pallet-rotate the blue, because the pallet I use is one normally for Hex-based cartrige systems. I am not used to working in 16.8 million collors.

I am going to probably take humans back to the drawing board, but the Orc's IMHO are very distinguishable... I play with them a few times a night and seem to be very natural to see my Linemen from my blitzers and such.

I will play around with 'borders' and maybe make a set with black borders or something... I am using the default SKYJUNKIE pitch for comparison and the green is drastic enough.

This is the 'revised' set... With NORMAL and SMALL icons updated:

I feel these are all position distinguishable... There is drastic enough difference to tell they are different positions. Let me know if there needs to be more changes.

(ALSO, new mummies!!! Gothic mummies coming too)

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

nkelsch wrote:
... since a ton of people still use Small field and many still use CIRCLES. Since the 'normal' icons look gross

I use circles because the normal icons look gross, I can often not tell them apart at a glance, and circles offer me a better tactical overview. Smile

With new icons I may give it a shot. Still having trouble with elf positions (the new ones posted above), and I recall that skaven gave me head-aches to keep apart using the icons, so I'd like to see those.

Good work.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Wood Elves:
*Thrower is the only one with thite hair and has bare arms showing (as most of my throwers do)
*Blitzers are wardancers, And have the wardancer Mohawks
*Catchers have big waving glove hands

Dark Elves:
*Thrower, has ears sticking out and exposed arm flesh, the weediest on the team
*Witches have giant fraying hair
*Blitzers is dark armor head to toe and the face not exposed helmet

I can't do much more to make them 'different'. Any more I will have to make them green and and pink polka dots.

How do you Circle people play tabletop? Do you require your opponent to write the position on the base of every fig? Most people I know who play tabletop use GW figs and paint them VERY similar so it makes it almost impossible to distinguish positions unless you are familiar with the GW line and can tell the figs from each other. I cannot name the number of times a player says 'That was a blitzer? I wouldn't have blocked him' in my previous tabletop leagues because they were not familiar with the Orc Minis.

Maybe people from a tabletop background are more observant when it comes to figs. Circles make my head hurt as I can more quickly distinguish a little fat mummy as STR5 from a Skelle opposed to Circles with letters on them.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2006 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Doh? why does it say I am a guest?
Mezir

Post   Posted: Jan 06, 2006 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I am a table-top person, but in tabletop the the figs are a lot easier to tell apart than the current generation of icons. Also, in table-top you tend to have (and use) more time, you have a 3D view, etc.

I have absolutely no trouble telling figs apart at a glance, even unpainted ones.

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

added:

UNDEAD:
*ghoul1
*ghoul2
*ghoul3
*ghoul4
*Zombie1
*Zombie2
*Zombie3
*Zombie4
*Wight1
*Wight2
*Mummy1
*Mummy2
gallahbrains

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 06:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey man, your new icons rock! I'm going to have a go at making some myself too.

I would suggest that you don't try and emulate the miniatures - who cares? Especially with the Chaos Dwarfs. Their minis just plain suck, those hats are far too stupid and the beards are very uncool too.

I like your new icons. It's hard not to make them "cute" at that size. If they don't have exaggerated features nobody could recognise them! The Wood Elves look awesome too as do the new undead - especially the mummies. Very nicely done!
gallahbrains

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 06:50 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as circles vs. icons go, some people are more visual. I couldn't play with circles myself because it would ruin the whole "illusion" and the icons are just damn cool. And I can also differentiate the icons much easier than a circle with a letter too.

...hell even if I couldn't and I did occasionally block a blitzer accidently ... who cares!? Big whoop.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

gallahbrains wrote:
Hey man, your new icons rock! I'm going to have a go at making some myself too.

I would suggest that you don't try and emulate the miniatures - who cares? Especially with the Chaos Dwarfs. Their minis just plain suck, those hats are far too stupid and the beards are very uncool too.

I like your new icons. It's hard not to make them "cute" at that size. If they don't have exaggerated features nobody could recognise them! The Wood Elves look awesome too as do the new undead - especially the mummies. Very nicely done!

Don't listen to him, the big hat chaos dwarfs are the coolest and funniest of all bloodbowl miniatures!
gallahbrains

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Eeew. That's the first I've ever heard that said. They look like they have a bloody 17th centuary russian temple perched on their head.
nkelsch

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Tinkywinky wrote:
Don't listen to him, the big hat chaos dwarfs are the coolest and funniest of all bloodbowl miniatures!

While I do like that GW kept Choas Dwarves alive in the new chaos Minis, I like the hats and curly beards too.
nkelsch

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2006 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Update:

LIZARDMEN
*saurus1
*saurus2
*saurus3
*saurus4
*Skink1
*Skink2
*Skink3
*Skink4