46 coaches online • Server time: 15:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should your always use your freedom of speech
Yes freedom of sppech is so importent that one should alwayes speek ones mind.
61%
 61%  [ 132 ]
No you should not use your freedom of speech to insult people.
38%
 38%  [ 82 ]
Total Votes : 214

Buur

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Some month ago the danish newspaper "Jyllands Posten" printed 12 pictures of the profet Mohammed, and one those pictures did portrait the profet af a terrorist with bombs in his turban.
All and all one thing took the other... the Islamic countries wanted an official excuse from the danish govement, and the danish prime minister said that even though he didnt like the pictures, he couldnt exuse that the newspaper used their freedom of speech.
This lead to boycot of danish products and now the burning down of the danish embassy i syria and the konsulate in lebanon.

well is i ok to use your freedom of speech eventhough you inslut and hurt people on their most sacred feelings in this case their religous feelings?
-Buur

Last edited by Buur on %b %05, %2006 - %16:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it.

But I fear I might be dying alone. The whole western civilisation seems to surrender to the backward ideas of medieval men. Evil or Very Mad

I mean; even the thought of apologising over a stupid cartoon?

WTF?

Mind you; muslims have the right to burn flags if they wish to do so. As it is my right to label them retarded for such stupid, childish behaviour over a cartoon. Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Being an atheist I´m usually the first to say it´s ok to insult religions. (How can you insult an imaginary god? Except for Nuffle, of course) In this case however, I think the publication of those pictures was a bit unnecessary. With that "from hell"-regime that hijacked the US trying to start a war of the cultures this is like pouring gasoline into the fire. I have no problems whatsoever with the muslims here in germany and I´d like it to stay that way...

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

well i see it this way: If walk into a bar and tell the big biker that i dont like the badge on the back of his leather jacket, i have every right to do so. But first: I am very stupid if i think i can do so, without getting a reaction!
Second what whould i have gained by this action?
-Buur

Last edited by Buur on %b %05, %2006 - %12:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

They have the right to burn flags but not the right to burn embassies, tho...
Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Jinxed wrote:
I mean; even the thought of apologising over a stupid cartoon?

What, so it's perfectly acceptable to insult people? Just because you're free to express yourself, and therefore to insult others, does not make it commendable or respectable when you do so specifically to offend people. A sincere apology is the least the people who printed those pictures could have offered the Muslim community.

That being said, being insulted doesn't justify violence, either; were I to tell a Christian that Jesus was a terrorist, he'd be wrong to strike me or burn my house down, no matter offended he was.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
They have the right to burn flags but not the right to burn embassies, tho...

The US have the [sarcasm]"right"[/sarcasm] to burn whole countries, what´s an embassy compared to that?

Last edited by def909 on %b %05, %2006 - %12:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

That is, unfortunately, the way a lot of muslims feel about the West these days, which is the reason the reactions to the cartoons were so explosive.

Last edited by HollowOne on %b %05, %2006 - %12:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

def909 wrote:
The US have the [/sarcasm]"right"[sarcasm] to burn whole countries, what´s an embassy compared to that?

This is a (I invoke freedom of speech) stupid comment.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

It's never okay to deliberately hurt people by excersising your right to freedom of speech. That being said, this whole conflict derives from a difference of culture rather than one of religion. Those cartoonic drawings were never meant to be hurtfull or insulting. In Denmark we use this form of exspression as a playfull banter. much like the tone on Fumbbl, which could often be perceived as cruel and abusive if we didn't approach each other with a good sense of ironic humor.
The Danish newspaper should have known that Islam forbids portraying of the Prophet. But let's keep things in perspective people. If these drawings insults you, take the appology or get even by making the harshest joke about protestants you can. Don't start torching embasies, that's just insane. The only people to benefit from the further escalation of this conflict are the extreemist groups who fight for a better world by killing innocent people.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, please keep in mind everybody, that freedom of speech also means that you give people who don't agree with you the right to publish whatever insults they may see fit.

A Dutch Islamic party has in a response to the Daniosh controversy posted some cartoons on its website of an anti-semitic nature, in which holocaust denial is depicted. The spokesperson for this party (AEL, also active in Belgium) claims the same freedom of speech as the Danish cartoonist.

Should there be limits to freedom of speech? If you answer no, you should also be prepared to accept that Imams preach that gay people are lower than dogs, that your wife/girlfriend is a ****** for not conforming to arabic/islamis dresscodes.

Personally I find the rise of religious extremism worrying to the extreme. And don't just look at Muslems, because then you risk forgetting:

- American fundamentalist Christians trying to turn back the clock by outlawing abortion and birthcontrol, and forbidden evolution to be taught in schools
- Extremist Orthodox jews who keep building settlements in territory that belongs to others, just because a book older than the often scolded Koran says it is theirs.
- And this list could go on forever.

Let's just hope the upcoming epidemic of bird-flue gives us all enough living space again so that we can stop using religion as an excuse to fight eachother.

(this turned out longer than I intended, sry if I wasted your time)

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I am one of the strongest supporters of the freedom of speech. I do not think that allowing the newspaper to insult peoples beliefs to be a bad thing. I do however think that the newspaper was doing the wrong thing when they actually did insult the muslims beliefs.
I cannot say that I am surprised by the response either, since religion is so close to the hearts of the people living in most of the muslim countries.
Buur

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

It's never okay to deliberately hurt people by excersising your right to freedom of speech. That being said, this whole conflict derives from a difference of culture rather than one of religion. Those cartoonic drawings were never meant to be hurtfull or insulting.

i Beg to differ... I think these drawings where ment af a harsh statement in the danish debate on how muslims should integrate in denmark... i just dont think that "Jyllands Posten" ever considered that it could evolve to an international case.
-Buur

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
This is a (I invoke freedom of speech) stupid comment.

It may be absurd, but what do you think the riots are actually about? Some cartoons that took months to actually brew up this reaction? No, look at the bigger picture; this is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2006 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

@Cloggy: I totally agree with you