24 coaches online • Server time: 01:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FDL only has a few s...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ironik

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear DarkWolf
I make a quick emergence from the void
I have recently seen a match of your best sport, ice hokey.
The sport is very interesting, quite exciting; you won't mind if I give my suggestion to make it "better"

1) in any case spotting the ball is quite a task, remove it altogether. (Do the player care about the ball or was it just an impression of mine?)
2) due to the amount of physical contact, why not have remove the stick and allow body slams and piledrivers. That would make the game really exciting!!!

If you could not notice I was being sarky oh please!!!
PS appologies for Macavity and the rest of the Canadian and US people who might be offended but I suppose he called for it.
PS grats for the victory and good luck for the Olympic games.

PS if you play like that in soccer your players are going to be expellled in the first two three minutes of the match.
Ok cut the flame war.
Everybody enjoy what he likes. it is boring to say "oh this is boring"
Best regards

[/u]
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Boo!! I hate hockey!!! Scratch that... I hate the NHL.... how can you care about a season with 50+ games per team???? It's not so bad in the olympics..... when is the rest of the world going to let their women start playing? Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
when is the rest of the world going to let their women start playing? Wink

Completely unrelated I made strange associations when the next topic I read was "always on top"

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ironik wrote:

1) in any case spotting the ball is quite a task, remove it altogether. (Do the player care about the ball or was it just an impression of mine?)
[/u]

Ok.... something you should know... the major U.S. TV networks had (at one point) a microchip inserted into the puck, so it would appear as a big blue blob, and be easier to see......

Now, I don't like hockey, but does Canada have special water or something???? Why the $#%@% can't the rest of the world see the contrast of BLACK ON WHITE??!?!?!?!?!?

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hockey is actually three sports 1) figure skating 2) playing with the thing from the mens urinal and 3) beating the shit out of the other player.

I would recommend you sit while watching hockey, the fast pace, changing players on the fly and constant action would probably be alot of a soccer fan to watch.

International hockey in the olympics will be great this year, lots of great country's that will compete for all the medals.

If you cannnot see the puck, may I suggest a better tv, or digital cable/satelite or a 52" HDTV like I have to watch sports, then you could almost see the sweat dripping from the players face.

If you watch long enough, you will even see soccer style dives in attempts to draw penalty's. The best come from european countries and of course- Claude Lemiuex.

Canadians that don't like hockey are commies!

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Australia are Olympic Hockey champions, which incidentally isn't held at the winter Olympics. Funny that.
Stunke

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Ironik wrote:

2) due to the amount of physical contact, why not have remove the stick and allow body slams and piledrivers. That would make the game really exciting!!!

(snip snip)

PS if you play like that in soccer your players are going to be expellled in the first two three minutes of the match.

ANALYSIS OF TOPIC:

I think I see some of your problems.
Well calling them problems is of course a bit harsh, but obstacles anyway.

First of all, it seems you're italian(hence a hardcore football lover), so telling a canadian about hockey, would be about as fruitless as a canadian telling europeans about football (or soccer as it is known in less civilised parts of the world) Wink

Here are some tips for a better understanding of this odd game of tag, involving heavy men, and freezing cold sports arenas.

There is no ball in hockey, so any attempts at finding one, will be quite futile. Unless you go see a european rollerhockey game held within the ruleset of the IISHF, they use an orange ball for their games, that get somewhat hard to see at night, but are very visible during daytime hours.
Icehockey and most rollerhockey leages around the world, use a puck.
A puck is a hard rubber pancake, 3" in diameter and about 1" thick, weighing about 168 grams. It slides like h*** on pavement, therefore the IISHF decided to use a ball instead, the other leagues will just have to fall in lane sooner or later. This is no problem on ice though, where a puck, once it gets a bit cold, will slide just perfectly on any newly preparated ice rink.
It gets somewhat hard to spot unless you are familiar with the game, and know which direction the players might be inclined firing it in.
But fear not, even hardened veterans will have a hard time spotting it from time to time, simply because the game involves a lot of fast changes of pace, and some very big men to screen a very small object(in this case the puck).

If you have an impression that the players didn't seem to care about the puck, you might have accidentally stumbled upon an old NHL game or the danish league. The rest of the world is trying to prod the players in a more technique-before-physique direction.
The two former represent a heavily contested and rotten league, and just a bunch of knuckleheads, respectively.
I, for one, am hoping they will be sucessful, this will clear a lot of hockeys bad reputation, for being a boxing match on ice, rather than a beautiful and fast paced game.

Removing the stick from the players is not a viable option, since this will make feints and dekes exceedingly hard to accomplish, the stick, I might add, is an invaluable tool when scoring a goal, since the rules state that you may not score by using your hand or your skates.

Bodyslams are already allowed within a strict ruleset, piledrivers are not, since they are too hard to do, once you're on skates, and you tend to hurt your opponents head when executing them. Wink
Although this might not be visible, the IIHF are actually trying to make sure that players heads will be intact at the end of the game, unless the sport starts to loose fans of course!!!

You also state that players, playing like that will be expelled at the start of the match... On that note, I can assure you that players are expelled throughout the ENTIRE match, when playing like this. So do not worry, its all taken care of.

So if you have any questions, just ask, I'll do my best to help you understand the odd ways of hockeyplayers.

tataaa

Dravaal: Sneaky bastards those australians. Rolling Eyes
I heard you went all eccentric on hockey and replaced ice with grass, whats that all about?
How do you skate on that?
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Stunke.... you haven't read DWs soccer posts, have you?

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:

If you cannnot see the puck, may I suggest a better tv, or digital cable/satelite or a 52" HDTV like I have to watch sports, then you could almost see the sweat dripping from the players face.

so that is where the money i sent you for those Norse/Dwarf minis went? :Lol:
Stunke

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Stunke.... you haven't read DWs soccer posts, have you?

Yeah a couple.
I really wanted to pitch in with a sarcastic comment, but it all went idiotic too fast for me to follow. So I just wanted to make sure I got the jump on this one Wink

Hence the comment about canadians giving advice on soccer!

I live in a soccer crazed country, so I get some odd stares as well when I tell people I play rollerhockey, I just realized that sports, art and religion cant be discussed long ago, so I decided to approach this with an I-have-no-idea-what-this-is-about post.

As a matter of fact I never thought anyone disliked canadians, I always figured you guys were the dolphins of humanity. I mean nobody in their right mind hates dolphins, and whats there NOT to like about canada?

You got icehockey and Lacrosse, you got lots of beautiful nature, you got lots of snow and don't bitch about it, and you're not americans, hence the lack of belligerance, so... whats there not to like? Wink

I just think Darkwolf is really an african dictator, pretending to be canadian, so people will approach him more kindly, readying themselves for a literary smack in the face!
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

DW is a Stoned fellow who lives in a part of the coutry that gets no sun, and wishes he was American Wink I know everyone loves me, but Canadians???? Have you met BunnyPuncher???

/me hides before Bunny finds and kills me....

Edit:: By the way, 'grats on knowing what LaCrosse is... The most violent sport ever!!! Yeah, Brownrob, you heard me!!!!

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Canadians are the like the three-toed sloth rather than a dolphin. B/c sometimes dolphins find their way into tuna nets and, well you eat them on bread with mayo.

As before, Canadians are quiet learned about other races/cultures and are adept at many winter/summer sports. We are in a superior position to pass judgement and make value calls on other sports. Sort of like your mental, physical and moral superiors. But like those people in arab countries that think the stuff in the koran is truth, soccer fans cannot handle the truth about their sport.

Hopefully, the officiating will not ruin the great hockey in the Olympics!!

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
... when is the rest of the world going to let their women start playing? Wink

Here we have not ice, just enougth for ice cubes to cool the drinks... while watching women play voleiball at the beach Wink
...really, anoying all this sun and sea and... Very Happy
Macavity

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2006 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

You're right, Nin...... women of winter sports are NEVER worth a second glance!!!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Curling/2006/02/15/1444856-cp.html

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2006 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Stunke wrote:

Dravaal: Sneaky bastards those australians. Rolling Eyes
I heard you went all eccentric on hockey and replaced ice with grass, whats that all about?
How do you skate on that?

Haha, it were the other way round. Sick of being beaten by other countires at hockey, those canadians had to invent their own game to make themselves feel good. Razz

And LaCrosse is cool, but not as cool as Hockey. Ice Hockey is pretty cool too, probably because of the ice.
 Jump to: