44 coaches online • Server time: 14:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Daddy_Thorg

Post 22 Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The vault rules are evolving, the new LRB 5 is taking shape und the release comes closer. It is foreseeable that the new rules require major changes to the client and the site. As Christer stated in another thread everything concerning the pre-match sequence will have to be handled by him. Implementing the other rule changes and new skills into the client would require many hours of work from SkiJunkie. We all know, that the ammount of time, he can spend on improving the client is limited, so it will probably take some time after the release of LRB 5, till the client will support it. So I would like to ask this question to SkiJunkie:

"Can you estiminate which changes of the upcoming LRB 5 you will implement into the client sooner and later?".

To specify the question a little bit more, I'd like to know if the first patches of the Client after LRB 5 would rather make major, or minor changes to the rules. Is a playable version, that is more 5.0 than 4.0 rules (depends mostly on the skills in my oppinion) likely to come up this year, or is it more realistic to expect it next year?

To make this clear, I don't want to browbeat someone with this questions, I'm just curious and would be happy about an honest aproximation.
Wallace

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

My guess would be that it will happen when it happens. If we are given a wild-stab-in-the-dark-gestimate of the date some update will be finished I guarantee it will be end up being treated as gospel.

So say Christer says "oh it will probably take about 6 months" then in August there will be 37 1/2 threads in the forums wondering why the update hasn't happened yet. I know we are all curious (personally I think the PBBL rules look like a really good step in the right direction) but I doubt Christer or Ski Junkie would be willing to put a date on anything. I'm happy to be wrong though, as I'm very curious as well....
chunky04

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

The longer it takes the better as far as I'm concerned.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

There's going to be some interesting teething when LRB5 is finally implemented. I'm quite curious too, but until it is implemented I'm in no hurry to rush to conform to the new system.

I believe Christer has posted before that both SJ and himself have limited time to commit to evolving both the Client and Fumbbl, and therefore it's difficult to predict just when the great day of change will be.

Just keep playing and enjoy....it'll get here eventually! Laughing
DaemonicLazoth

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 03:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope it doesnt happen

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

DaemonicLazoth wrote:
I hope it doesnt happen

woot!!! never come to fumbb you damn lrb 5.0....

they aren't tested enough and it's pretty much a step down.
Patrician

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, at the risk of starting an 'Anti LRB5' thread....chunky04, DaemonicLazoth - do tell, what are your grievances?
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It should happen in its entirety rather than piecemeal - It's entirely possible that the LRB5 client will be used in a separate division (replacing DivX, probably), in parallel to the LRB4 client and divisions. This at least would give everyone a choice of what ruleset to play. Eventually, it can then migrate into the main divisions also if it proves to be a success.

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally am I starting to think we should make our own 2006 rulesreview where we basicly make a new niggle rules and rebalances to skills (basicly keeping the two layer system but makes mutations contain both traits and skills).

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2006 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
at the risk of starting an 'Anti LRB5' thread....

That's the problem why I mainly ask this question. The last Rulebook was vastly accepted among the community. Though there where some critic voices about skill and Big Guy changes or Ogre and Vampire Teams, there don't seem to be any groups or tournaments playing LRB 3 today.
LRB 5 won't have that many fans and split the community. Changes are bigger, teams are not so compatible to the previous rulebook version. It seems likely, that the the new rulebook won't replace the old one, but exist in parallel.
As Blood Bowl on Fumbbl depends on the client and therefore on SkiJunkie, his opinion about the new rule book is important. If he likes it, the client could support the new rules one or two holidays after the release, like the last changes. In that case perhaps he has started work right now. If he doesn't likes the new rules, he could wait for the first review till he starts making changes and a finished version of the Dungeon Bowl client could come earlier, than a LRB 5 client.
So I'd like to find out SkiJukies opinion about the topic and his plans on the client.
thesquig

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2006 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Its really a case of whether Ski Junkie wants to/has time to do it.

Aconite

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2006 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I play the new rules, and think they're great, adding more to the game and sorting out some of the problems the current rules set has.

I'll be very happy to see them arrive at FUMBBL, and hope that it can be implemented as soon as possible after the final release of the rules. Though I know the actual time will be dependant on both Christer & Ski Junkie

(Brad Osberg)
monboesen

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2006 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

When (or if) it's done the obvious way to do it is to make a new division with the Vault rules (or use the near dead division X for it) and keep Ranked as it is. That way the coaches who are so against the new rules can continue to play the way they like and the rest of us can try out the funky new rules and tactics that they bring.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2006 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, we could raise cash as an incentive to pull a sickie off work and get us our LRB5! Wink Laughing

Playing a good bit of Vault myself, and my only major gripe is the Amazons, which will be fixed in future, which is OK, and likely wont be using the cards, but the rest is all good
chunky04

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2006 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I just hope Unranked is left alone.

The so called Perpetual Blood Bowl rules achieve their perpetuity by applying a bandaid solution to make a league a series of one off games instead of making any real attempt to address the balance issues inherent in the game for long term league play. Given that Ranked is effectively a series of one off games, it will fit in perfectly. For those who prefer a league that actually has some flavour beyond that of cardboard though, its complete and utter crap.