62 coaches online • Server time: 20:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Smess

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me be the first to point out that a comparison between these two games might be a little far fetched, because BBowl remains a game where the luck factor plays an important role, and chess is a game where luck plays only a minor -if any- role.

Nevertheless, I have recently picked up chess again after about two-three years, and I noticed that I have suddenly gotten a lot better at it (not that I'm especially good at it, but still). I'm pretty sure that playing BBowl a lot has greatly improved my chess skills.
In particular, I now approach the game of chess in another way. Instead of making up attacking plans and try to force victory, I now focus on what the opponent is trying to do, and how I can counter him. I play from defence, make sure all my pieces are covered well, and then try to get slight advantages over my opponent.
Where I used to often get surprised by my opponent, I now have a firmer control over the game, and can especially way better predict the way the game is gonna go within the next moves.

So what do you guys think? Anyone else noticed an improvement in his chess skills after playing lots of BBowl? Can playing BBowl a lot make you better at chess? Can playing chess a lot make you better at BBowl? Would a grandmaster chess player also own in BBowl after he learned the game? (god I would LOVE to show Kasparov the ropes Very Happy)
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Alos note that tha pace in the two games are completely different.

It's quite natural that you'd be better at chess now - Bloodbowl has trained your ability to recognize patterns which is widely used in both chess and similar games (such as bloodbowl). After hundreds of games you've developed a more keen sence in that regard and since you play to win you've mainly focused at what can garner you a field advantage - much as in chess.

Last edited by MiBasse on %b %22, %2006 - %16:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
thesquig

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see where you are coming from, both games are to do with recognising shapes and predicting your oppositions moves. I'd be alot better at chess if dice were involved Very Happy

This also brings me the question, what skills do you actually need in order to play bloodbowl well?

Meech

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I have noticed that i am able to notice patterns (like Red FIsh said)

I just wish my Troll would stop eating my pawns...

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

thesquig wrote:
I can see where you are coming from, both games are to do with recognising shapes and predicting your oppositions moves. I'd be alot better at chess if dice were involved Very Happy

This also brings me the question, what skills do you actually need in order to play bloodbowl well?

I'd say you need patience, a cool head, basic ability to calculate probabilities, a minor tactical mind, the ability to laugh at bad dice and luck Wink
Fabrizio

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Blah. When I play chess I always find meself thinking about tackle zones and block dices...
Smess

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:
thesquig wrote:

I'd say you need patience, a cool head, basic ability to calculate probabilities, a minor tactical mind, the ability to laugh at bad dice and luck Wink

Yeah I'd say patience and the ability to keep concentrated for a whole game works quite well.
Where most people get frustrated with the dice, and stop paying attention, start playing worse or just throw the game away, I just sit quitely thinking 'Yes you can laugh now, but from the moment you or the dice give me the slightest chance to get back into the game, I'll be all over your a$$!'
Optihut

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The f*ckers forgot to include the dice in my chess game Sad

Oh and the minis look like crap Razz
Optihut

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

thesquig wrote:

For me the game winning skill was to maintain a poker face and then yell "ILLEGAL PROCEDURE!" once my opponent finished moving his first player (the rule in our league was that you had time to fix a mistake like not advancing the turn marker, until you finished your first action).
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I think chess and Blood Bowl have a lot in common. I haven't played much chess lately, but having played a lot of it in my life definitely helped me starting out in Blood Bowl.

IMO, Blood Bowl players aren't nearly as good at their game as chess players are at theirs. It goes beyond the fact that there are millions more chess players and it's been studied for centuries. The introdution of luck has the curious effect of making it harder psychologically for people to improve. If you get whipped at chess, you know that you just didn't get it done, and you have to look in the mirror and see what you did wrong. In Blood Bowl, you can always blame the dice. In most games, you get some crappy rolls in key situations, and you can always point to that. Of course, good players tend to overcome their bad rolls more, and put themselves in positions where they don't have to make as many rolls to win. But it's less clear, and thus harder to analyze your mistakes than in a pure skill game.
Korenn

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2006 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a big similarity that helps is that you have a whole bunch of different pieces to choose your moves from and plan your strategies with. I say this because I'm a pretty fervent Go player and I find that being good at Go doesn't help your Chess game as much as being good at Bloodbowl does (not that I'm all that good at the latter).

I suppose playing bloodbowl trains your thinking to keep unique pieces in mind when planning... or something
fen

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

maxlongstreet wrote:
I think chess and Blood Bowl have a lot in common. I haven't played much chess lately, but having played a lot of it in my life definitely helped me starting out in Blood Bowl.

IMO, Blood Bowl players aren't nearly as good at their game as chess players are at theirs. It goes beyond the fact that there are millions more chess players and it's been studied for centuries. The introdution of luck has the curious effect of making it harder psychologically for people to improve. If you get whipped at chess, you know that you just didn't get it done, and you have to look in the mirror and see what you did wrong. In Blood Bowl, you can always blame the dice. In most games, you get some crappy rolls in key situations, and you can always point to that. Of course, good players tend to overcome their bad rolls more, and put themselves in positions where they don't have to make as many rolls to win. But it's less clear, and thus harder to analyze your mistakes than in a pure skill game.

Quoted for truth.

Also I'd like to add both games at their core are about territory. BB players exert Tackle Zones to defend theirs, Chess pieces have their movement and ability to automatically eliminate a opposing piece. Go also teaches a lot about territory.

Also chess has evolved to the point where, even though its still played for recreation, it's perfectly acceptable to use every resource at your disposal to win. BB isn't anything like that yet. (as a side note, M:TG has evolved a long way towards that purity of game. Something a lot of people dislike.)

And thanks for the game before Max, it's really good to lose. I've watched the replay a few times and I hope to tighten up my play from it.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed there are similarities, but there are differences too.

For example, they REALLY frown on trash talk at chess tournaments (unless your name is Kasparov)
Buur

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

i also cant find the endzone on my chess board.... and where is the ball....
-Buur

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Leap on a Bishop would make it a true gamwinner...bye bye King!