55 coaches online • Server time: 18:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kenty

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I interviewed a job applicant earlier today and found his answer to a standard question rather amazing.

When I asked him what one of his most challenging situations was and how he handled it, he answered...

"One time I was at a friend's house and they wanted to make pancakes from Bisquick (for those of you who aren't from the states... Bisquick is a pre-packaged mix that you can buy in the store), I like pancakes made from scratch so I made sure that we made them from scratch instead of using the mix."

I sat for a moment in awkward silence and then just nodded and said, "right". He graduated from the same university that I went to and it made me feel uneasy.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Laughing

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Did he get the job?
thesquig

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

And he wasnt joking? lol...

torsoboy

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

That does tell you he likes to get into the deep of things, instead of taking the easy route. Depending on what his job application is, that is either a good thing or a bad thing. It's a creative reply, confident maybe, shows a bit of humor. So he got the job, am i rite?

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

LMAO I like his thinking, answer the question but drift as far away from the topic as possible, confuse the employer into submission, GO PANCAKE DUDE!!!
Kenty

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

No... I couldn't possibly hire him after that. I work in logistics... and when I asked him his idea of the perfect job he told me that he would like to own a coffee shop when people could come in for an expresso and a donut... and play some chess.
Buddy

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

OH MY LORD UP IN HEAVEN, FATHER OF JESUS CHRIST it just gets funnier Laughing LMAO
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Would these answers have made you consider me for the job?

A) I had a project which was to be put on a nationwide exhibition. We we're four people in the team of which two where a couple, they split up quite early in the project and the guy just couldnt cooperate with anyone in the group after that which ment that he left the project. Our overseer then lost confidence in our ability to work as a team which ment that she forced us to do various "team building excercises" and give her constant progress reports before she would give us a budget limit which ment that we couldn't buy the equipment to make any progress with the project. After half a year with these issues were we forced to do something quickly (three months until deadline). I managed to solve the problem by asking a senior technican on another department to buy the basic equipment needed to make the required tests.

B) I want a job where I am allowed to provide efficent solutions directly for the customer. I am not really the kind of guy who constantly moves around to create the "perfect career" or hunt "the perfect job". I am happy if I got a job where I get to work with people and solve complex issues.

I want to know becuase I might have to start looking for a job soon and those would be my answers to the questions.

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

A is good... I would avoid your response in option B..... nobody wants to hear that the job you are interviewing for is a good enough option as an alternative to a perfect job
ibambe

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Gotta respect the honesty.
yavanaril

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

No problem.

I have interviewed and hired in logistics and have no direct problem with either answer. It all depends on the total context.

Plus, anyone who is more flaky than I am makes me feel at least a little bit sane.
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

This is what it's all about. MUAHGAHAAHAHAHA!

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

So? Never understood that idea of "having to sell one self in the best light" with job interviews either. It doesn't make any sense. You either want the person to be as honest as possible to know what he/she IS like, to know if you want to work with that person, or you are just looking for a doll without a personality, IMHO. Asking people to sell themself as "good" as possible, along some sort of formular (do a web search, with a little time invested you can get pretty much advice on what the "perfect" answers to those questions are - there shouldn't be any like that) ... it's that type of model personality, as flawless as possible, fitting the system as seemlessly as imaginable - similar to what is sold in the advertisment world. THAT is what I'd feel to be dishonest and wrong. No-one's perfect.

And yes, I have been as outspoken and open in job interviews too. If after that you feel we can't work together ... then we really likely wouldn't be able to work together. I am an individual, not the perfect candidate according to some arbitrary standards - and while I can bend some, I'll not hold back with opinions.

-Mnemon
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, and most folk lie in interviews to get jobs, stuff on CV's made up,

I remember once in an interview they tried to throw me by asking me what my favourite dinosaur was.... so I said "The Duke of Edinburgh" Wink
 Jump to: