73 coaches online • Server time: 20:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Optihut

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The guy obviously scores on creativity, but I guess it might come across as humouring the interviewer, which would lead to a dismissal. Both the pancake story and the dream job are awesome answers in my book, but I'd be inclined to agree that it doesn't quite fit with logistics. I can't help but wonder whether he'd have had more luck with a waffles or pie story, though.
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Kenty wrote:
A is good... I would avoid your response in option B..... nobody wants to hear that the job you are interviewing for is a good enough option as an alternative to a perfect job

I was rather meaning that the logistics job would suit me perfectly (I thought logistics involved making sure a customer got things from point A to point B as efficently as possible). I'm not sure I want it if it doesn't Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Logistic = logic + optimistic

...just like when you think "hey, this critical 3+ dodge with reroll will probably not fail..."
Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

First question you should ask in an interview.....
do you play BB? answer yes and you get the job, so now you can have a bb7's league during lunchbreaks Wink
Skrofler

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think most employers would rather have a brutally honest employee than an employee that has shown that he can put a little effort into the job interview. Everybody knows it's a lot of BS at interviews. You just have to show some effort, that's all.

Mondays, 20:00-0:00
Tuesdays, 20:00-0:00
Wednesdays, 20:00-0:00
Thursdays, 22:00-0:00
Fridays, preferably not
Weekends, generally daytime 8:00-17:00
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Prolly. But the honest bit is what is one of the major parts of who I am. Hiding that would be quite silly as it only will lead to problems later on. And no, I don't see interviews as BS or at least they shouldn't be. I'd really expect anyone that conducts interviews to put effort into interviewing and identifying qualities of the person he's talking to as well. Always is a two-sided thing. Good management in my eyes is about seeing human potential and grasping/strengthening it not just considering humans as resources (doing so also does wonders for work atmosphere). Leadership and being an employer is more then just an economical, but a social function.

Of course I just don't fit into the conservative type of working environment either - that'd just end up with constant battles.

-Mnemon
Kenty

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

While honesty is nice... the position is sales. A large part of sales is being able to BS with the best of them. A lot of what we do in 3rd party logistics is telling people what they want to hear.

Of course if he would have mentioned Bloodbowl I would have hired him right away.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I can BS with the best of them. Ask me anything!

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you proud of your life so far?
Razz
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I am! Thanks for asking!

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you sure the guy actually wanted the job? At least in Sweden unemployed are often forced (by the dole office) to apply for job they donĀ“t want or isnt qualified to do.

A friend of mine applied for the job as a cantor in the local church, asked about his qualification he answered that he played drums in a punk band but actually didnt believe in god.
Ironik

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Kenty wrote:
I interviewed a job applicant earlier today and found his answer to a standard question rather amazing.

When I asked him what one of his most challenging situations was and how he handled it, he answered...

"One time I was at a friend's house and they wanted to make pancakes from Bisquick (for those of you who aren't from the states... Bisquick is a pre-packaged mix that you can buy in the store), I like pancakes made from scratch so I made sure that we made them from scratch instead of using the mix."

I sat for a moment in awkward silence and then just nodded and said, "right". He graduated from the same university that I went to and it made me feel uneasy.

A) what is wrong with preparing pancakes from scratch?
B)Logistic or sale get a decision mate. It seems you are frying in the pan.
C)What is wrong with coffee and chess?Ahh I see!!! You could have hinted to have a coffee where one enter and plays Blood Bowl. That would have been ace.
Have a nice pancake... day
Kenty

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

A) I actually also prefer pancakes from scratch, I just don't think I would tell a potential employer that it was one of my most challenging moments
B) It's a position selling logistics services
C) I like coffee and chess as well. Bloodbowl would have definitely made a difference. But again, these are aspects about myself I'd save for small talk rather than job interviews.
hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, I see you're in GR... have spent some time there. I graduated from Hope College in Holland, and had friends at Calvin and Aquinas. Smile

What university did you and your creative/clueless applicant attend?

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Grand Valley State
 Jump to: