45 coaches online • Server time: 16:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Kenty wrote:
While honesty is nice... the position is sales. A large part of sales is being able to BS with the best of them. A lot of what we do in 3rd party logistics is telling people what they want to hear.

Smile. Well and that's something I just don't get about the business world. Honesty is one of the prime things for me, and I really can't grasp (I sort of can follow the train of thought, but not understand it) why anyone would want to BS her/his business partners and expects to get BS from them, too. Doesn't compute and just seems much too square with what is my own personal take on "common sense." It MUST have an effect on business culture (and likely society in general) and I can't see the positive.

Knowing that I just don't understand I stay well clear of business jobs though, so we'll definitely not run into each other during a job interview Smile.

-Mnemon
Pirrekurr

Post   Posted: Mar 04, 2006 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hank wrote:
Are you sure the guy actually wanted the job? At least in Sweden unemployed are often forced (by the dole office) to apply for job they donĀ“t want or isnt qualified to do.

A friend of mine applied for the job as a cantor in the local church, asked about his qualification he answered that he played drums in a punk band but actually didnt believe in god.

Another funy little story about this is my friend who just finished his studies at an university and got his diploma. It was in practical philosophy and also in something called Analysis of Society and Culture. I tried to find out what it was called in english, I know there is a better translation out there, but I couldn't find it.

Well, as I said, he had his diploma and went to get a job. At the unemploymentoffice the young woman that worked there told him not to be downbeat, because she had also a diploma in Analysis of Society and Culture, and look what a good job she had gotten. Then she paused and asked if he had applied for her job, this was he first week at it. Stupid as he is, he answered without thinking. "I wouldn't think so", then he realised what he had said, and both the young woman and her more experienced collegue who was helping her this first week looked a bit angry. After that he have had a lot of problems with them, much more than any other unemployed person I know of. Very Happy
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2006 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

heh. Speaking as someone who majored in Philosophy, I can't imagine a PRACTICAL philosophy degree. Plumbling and Accounting are practical, Philosophy is for those of us who are wastrels, who never want to do an honest days work in our lives Smile Incidentaly, I make a very good living in the film industry, slowly eroding the social fabric of our society Very Happy
Optihut

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2006 - 05:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Kenty's firm missed out on a great employee, but they'll never know, so the system won't ever change. No offense to Kenty, but Human Resources people are still going to ask standardised question in 20 years time and because of that they'll still miss out on the best people for a job. But it's ok, because they'll never know and the second best will still be able to do the job in a satisfactory manner. Saturday night rantings after 13 whiskey-cokes Razz
Blackcrag

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2006 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:

Smile. Well and that's something I just don't get about the business world. Honesty is one of the prime things for me, and I really can't grasp (I sort of can follow the train of thought, but not understand it) why anyone would want to BS her/his business partners and expects to get BS from them, too. Doesn't compute and just seems much too square with what is my own personal take on "common sense." It MUST have an effect on business culture (and likely society in general) and I can't see the positive.

Knowing that I just don't understand I stay well clear of business jobs though, so we'll definitely not run into each other during a job interview Smile.

-Mnemon

On the topic of BS my mother is the coowner of a graphical design/advertisement hybrid company - at one point she was competing with one of the big advertisement companies about a certain job - they chose her, stating that both had said the almost the same stuff, except the big company had been speaking Newspeak/BS all the time...

Sometimes stating things straight will get you further - that's why i personally hate all my Marketing lessons on uni - it's BS made sacred...
Pirrekurr

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2006 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
heh. Speaking as someone who majored in Philosophy, I can't imagine a PRACTICAL philosophy degree. Plumbling and Accounting are practical, Philosophy is for those of us who are wastrels, who never want to do an honest days work in our lives Smile Incidentaly, I make a very good living in the film industry, slowly eroding the social fabric of our society Very Happy

Actually, in Sweden the univerities doesn't look like American ones. You don't chose a major ad a minor and so on. You often chose pre-decided programs like the Analysis of bablabla program my friend took. But you can chose to get a degree in a single subject too. It in itself won't get you any work, andis very much for those who never want to do an honest days work Smile . But if you are going to take courses in philosophy you have to chose Praktisk Filosofi (translated into Practical Philosophy) and Teoretisk Filosofi (translated into Theoretical Philosophy). I am the first one to admit that both are very theoretical courses.

But if I have understood it correctly when he tried to explain the differences, practical philosophy is about applications of philosophy. A lot of logic thinking, ethics and things like that. Don't ask me to explain it further, because I really have no idea. Some of the things he have been reading in Practical Philosophy are exactly the same things I have been reading when I was taking some courses in ethics a couple of years back.
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2006 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

a lesser man would have used the mix, give him the job
Adar

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2006 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

And this is why I am studying to get a proper degree rather than some kind of liberal arts stuff.

I can only see one practical application for a practical philosof. Making snuff films...

Last edited by Adar on %b %05, %2006 - %20:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2006 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, if you want to see honesty in the applicatnt, you ask 'What do you see to be our biggest problem as a company?'

this one is good because you get direct feedback from the public, you can't really BS this one and it also shows that the applicant has bothered to find out about your company in the first place. A good answer can't be duplicated here.

Oh, and my boss when interviewing me asked if i'm a team-player and i answered:

'All big things consist of a lot of small things. Hence, if you want to be a functional part of a team, you have to work as an individual. When the other members of the team see and learn that you are efficient and dependable, you bond with the rest of the group. However, to achieve that you must be a solo-player before being a team-player.'

My boss opened and closed her mouth 2-3 times, and decided not to ask me any more standardised questions, and i got the job.

Honesty works treats for the applicant. Its when the employer BSs about your salary that things get murky imo.

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
 Jump to: