47 coaches online • Server time: 17:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2003 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

We ought to rename the Ladder league the STAR Ladder League cause all the teams will have to add STAR players just to compete. So now it will be who's Count STAR on the undead team can out play the other Count. It's all BS and has ruined the spirit of the Ladder league which was supposed to be the fun of playing rookie teams.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2003 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

erm yer........ i took woodies to the BB , star environment, same as ladder, i took no stars, i didnt lose a game.
Its all about coaching ability, but sure stars help, a good coach doesnt need them though , tbh.

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2003 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Some stars are better than others...but most cost about the right amount..expensiive. I had to sacrifice at least one RR to get the 2 I put on my Ladder team. Headsplitter is nice..none of this wild animal buisness, but Hakflem is just a slightly better Gutter runner with skills I'd probly not have taken with the massive doubles he's rolled Smile Thought it'd be fun to play with him for a change.

Still, neither of them have block so should be easy to knock down and take out at least occasionally.

I haven't looked at the norse--don't they have Star players you could have chosen or not..

If you dont' like the stars, you can always look at the opposing coaches roster before the game and Not play someone with stars (or only the stars that or ok to use in your opinion...I can't see the secret weapon guys being much of a problem...)

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2003 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

ZY
Its all about coaching ability, but sure stars help, a good coach doesnt need them though , tbh.

That's easy to say for you ..... you havent' played against a team with STAR players yet. Try challenging the undead teams with the Count and see if your superior coaching ability helps. I doubt it will, and if I'm wrong I'll eat my words. But dont talk about being able to outcoach STAR players teams when you haven't even played one yet.

Gortex - No Norse do not have STAR players and I'd rather not create a ladder team that does. Watching 1 STAR player score 90% of the TDs and make 90% of the big plays isn't enjoyabe to me. And your 2nd point is correct, I SHOULD check out rosters beforehand before starting up a match if I don't want to play STARS.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not do like the BBowl tourney at GenCon did this year. Non-secret weapon Stars cost was Base+(Base-100k)
(Basically, increase the cost by the amout over 100k a star is worth...so Lord Borak was 220k. for example)

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Instead of renaming the division, would it be possible to have two ladder divisions - one with rosters that can have stars, one that cannot? It would make sense as there are also NAF tournament that allow you to use stars, but also ones that don't.

Then again, there are so few of us playing ladder games anyway, it might get even worse... Plus not all the teams have stars anywho so...
Vertigo

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZY

well my coaching ability increased from helpless (without stars) to godlike (with maximized stars)
give the vips a try if you don't believe it.
and the stars are underpriced so if one buys a starplayer - everyone must buy a starplayer. (who would
profit from such a design ?)

and if i see teams winning every game that is supposed to be a 50-50 chance+ coaching skill, never having bad luck
or a competent opponent, i smell fish not a superplayer.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Vertigo wrote:

and if i see teams winning every game that is supposed to be a 50-50 chance+ coaching skill, never having bad luck
or a competent opponent, i smell fish not a superplayer.

If you are referring to Evo here, I give you a hint for free: play him first and you know that he is a _very_ able coach.

Cheers

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

well and he hasn't won every game.
i am referring to the undead+count teams who seamlessly advance the ladder.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm. the top 10 ladder teams, only 3 of them have star players on them...two undead and one gobbo team. There is even one undead team with no stars in the top 10.

Guess I haven't been around long enough to see the imbalance.

BTW, not all stars are underpriced. Most or over priced, but there are some decent deals in the mix.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Gortex - what you don't see is all the "non-star" top 10 teams got there by winning games BEFORE the STAR players were added to the ladder. As soon as the "STAR" teams play enough games they will be all over the top 10 list.

I love Veron's suggestion of 2 ladder leagues so that coaches who have fun playing with STAT players can do so. However, I can understand if Christer doesn't want to put the effort into this due to supply/demand concerns.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2003 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

just finished a match with my non-star human team against undead with count drakenmoor. barely managed a draw in the end cause this count is just too strong. he was the main ball handler the main blocker... everything. wouldnt deny it, I want a ag4 str5 guy on my team too, who wouldn´t! But it´s just that you don´t have a real chance to win when playing against stars without having any. It´s a lot of coaching now, but coaching for a draw not a win! I did enjoy the game but without my lucky armour and injurie rolls on the mummies and a lot of fouling from my side i wouldn´t have stood a chance. I don´t like stars on ladder.

So long, just my personal opinion and experince

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2003 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

The ladder league will never be perfectly balanced either way - Can you imagine a Goblin team being in the top ten without stars?

The stats of the stars need to be modified - down powered. I think subtracting 1 str from all star players except those with str3 or less already would work well to balance it out. The price of the players could be modified, or left the same - I don't really mind. What do you think?
Molt

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2003 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

After having looked through the player list, I can't see how this wouldn't work. The only players that would need to be exempt from the rule (other than str2/3 players) would be Grim Ironjaw and Prince Moranion, because if you take away their str 4 they are no better than ordinary players.

All the star players who suffer the stat reduction should be reduced by 10k in price with the following exceptions:

Griff should be reduced by 20k to 160k, to reflect being reduced to str 3
Count Luther should stay at 180, because he is currently over-powered
Lord Borak and Varag should stay at 160 each, because the leader skill effectively makes them the same price as normal players

I think i'm going to post a survey and see how many other people agree.
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2003 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not going to happen. We follow the LRB to the greatest extent possible, which means no house rules or stat modifications.

The Finishing Touch
 Jump to: