42 coaches online • Server time: 16:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lord-Willi

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got the following problem:
Some days ago Big Guys who screwed their bone head or really stupid rolls began to assist blocks, which was implemented on version 6.x i think..
I don't think this is really a great idea, it really sucks and is not appending to the Rulebook anyway. If my Troll screws his roll, he will sit down and scratch his ass for the rest of the Turn (or the Game with my luck), but why shall he assist ?
Rulebook states can't do anything for the rest of the Turn and assisting to me is ANYTHING.
If this feature will stay, GUARD would be a proper Response because it will always work on those, even if they can't remember what to do !?!
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

currently, when a player loses their TZ, they still can assist in blocks..however, they don't prevent oppenents from assisting.

The relevant rule for assists is:
1. Must be adjacent to the enemy player
involved in the block, and...
2. Must not be in the tackle zone of any other
player from the opposing team.
3. Must be standing.

Note that you must be adjacent to the enemy player...They don't have to be in your TZ, just adjacent to you.

Now, if you are in an enemy player's TZ, then you can't assist (unless you have guard of course)

And since a boneheaded/really stupid player is still standing, they meet #3.

Also in the assisting section: Assisting a block does not count as an action.

so assisting isn't an action, thus counts as doing nothing.

Maybe the BBRC will change this in the October rules review (some people believe they will).
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 16:58
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

GorTeX wrote:
Maybe the BBRC will change this in the October rules review (some people believe they will).

Whether they change it or not, I hope they will clarify the rule.

Personally, I think it's fine either way. Smile

-- Christer
Vertigo

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems to be a point - but to be exactly correct he can't assist in offence - he can assist in the defence Smile , what, even if it sounds very weird, looks quite playable.

about improper implementation i miss from the client is by the way the automatic roll over when stunned,
can't believe that shaking of a stun has to do anything with intellect. (but so says the rulebook)

since when does doing a non action count as doing nothing ?
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as he's not in an enemy TZ ( or has guard), he'll be able to lend an assist offensively or defensively (or should be able to).

It's been my expereince that 'not being able to do anything' usually only counts to actual actions. A player that can't do anything else in a turn can lend assists, catch the ball, etc.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

so if being prone - the player can catch , use hynotic gaze ?

i don't think so.

btw. big guy handicaps and prone are the only situations i found starring a "can't do anything"
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

well, of course not..but a prone player is specifically disallowed from catching the ball (in the catch section: Prone players may never attempt to catch the ball.)

Also, while prone you can do nothing but stand up for the cost f 3 movement (as part of a move/blitz/pass action). You must do Hypnotic gaze as part of an action, so, by the rules, you could not HG until you had stood up.

Post 11 Posted: Aug 08, 2003 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

very quickly:

Don't forget that in terms of what is being represented, assisting despite Bone head seems really OK:

Assisting can be either lending a well-timed shove, helping to push, or it can just represent distracting the defending player, making them lose concentration while being blocked.

By the second notion, there is no conceptual problem with assists by BH or RS players - I know if I was in the heat of a violent game, standing next to an ogre or troll, I wouldn't take it for granted that the temporary glazed look was anything to trust or depend on... I'd still be pretty darn distracted! Shocked
CmdrGloval

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2003 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Also.. any one here watch Hockey? Ever see what happens when one guy body checks another into the wall. they usually fall.. because damn that hurts.. So in effect an ogre or troll being RS or failing their BH can assist by being the "wall".
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2003 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Rolling over does require a certain amount of thought, it might just not occur to the stupid player that he should be oding anything other than looking for 4 leaf clovers or something.
 Jump to: