42 coaches online • Server time: 00:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Record the length of...goto Post 145 League and Tourn...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are you concerned about Global Warming?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 32 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 48

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
Wizard wrote:
Do some research for yourselfs rather than absorbing the media - then post a comment

Psst, Al Gore's movie is "media"

He also invented the internet.

Al Gore? Shocked

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Montagne wrote:
Whoever says that men is not changing the composition of the planet atmosphere is just blind/stupid/etc. And DDT, CFCs (oh wait, whats Ozone? Skin cancer? BAH SCARE MONGERING!!), long etc.
You have to have a Ph.D. to write a book. Smile

Well I can also speak from a chemist's point of view specializing in analytical chemistry (of which environmental chemistry is a subfield) and can state Daft has it right on many levels at least here in the US.

For decades, environmentalism has been a front to simply gleaning grant dollars, issuing ridiculous law suits, and mandating non-common sense laws which fed off the scare. All of which hurt the life of common everyday people.

Just because someone wears a white lab coat and has a Ph D, doesn't mean they won't lie to you (in a book, research report, etc). We have to pay our mortgages and fund our children's college tuition too. That means many of us will bias our conclusions when talking to those on capital hill. Especially if one conclusion terminates the project, and the other gives another million dollars...gee I wonder what people are going to conclude Wink

I can even remember in 1995, my environmental chemistry teacher laughing about how gullible democrats are in tossing him research money for sub parts per trillion DDT contamination concerns in the Bay. The policy then was, "if the EPA has it listed as 'bad', then any amount of detectable quantity needs to be cleaned." and thus the burden of "superfund". Kyoto is seen as superfund all over again. sorry, but we've dealt with that mistake already.

Even if it turns out to be true and world catastrophe is going to occur, it doesn't matter. The "little boy who cried wolf" has already lost his credibility for poor ethical scientific behavior. Now here's the wolf to eat him up...and no one believes him.

Environment was an 80s and 90s issue and has been taken care of...the USA is moving forward on to other things.

As for me, I'll believe global warming should two things be shown. #1 it's not due to the sun's changing output. If things are getting warmer, why are so few concentrating on the SOURCE of that heat??? We fully understand the sun isn't just a homogenous ball of gas with a steady energy output. Answer, because man has no control over the sun, so little could be done about it, and that means little power and money are to be tagged.

Show me the sun's activity isn't the cause and I'll start believing its validity. Somebody in a past forum on this topic mentioned Mars is globally warming too? why?

#2 Show me the rising sea level wiping out prime real-estate (excl. earthquake tsunamis and hurricanes). Don't show me icebergs melting in the summer heat. Show me coastal hotels being abandoned due to the ocean washing them out. Show me the loss of jobs and ecomony over global warming...which in turn kills people. In other words, show me this is a major problem for society and not just a superficial phenomenon.

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

-Brief Explanation-
Sk8t: The Earth’s atmosphere is all around us. It is the air that we breathe. Greenhouse gases in the atmosphere behave much like the glass panes in a greenhouse. Sunlight enters the Earth's atmosphere, passing through the blanket of greenhouse gases. As it reaches the Earth's surface, land, water, and biosphere absorb the sunlight’s energy. Once absorbed, this energy is sent back into the atmosphere. Some of the energy passes back into space, but much of it remains trapped in the atmosphere by the greenhouse gases, causing our world to heat up.

The greenhouse effect is important. But what happens if we have to much C02 in the atmosphere is that the atmosphere itself thickens to the point were much of the heat that would bounce back into space is instead trapped on earth - which speeds up the melting of ice. Ice is white and helps reflect most of that sunlight back into space, but the more ice we lose the less gets bounced back out and the quicker the remaining ice melts, its a cycle that turns on itself. Without the greenhouse effect, the Earth would not be warm enough for humans to live. But if the greenhouse effect becomes stronger, it could make the Earth warmer than usual. Even a little extra warming may cause problems for humans, plants, and animals.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retreat_of_glaciers_since_1850
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect

Last edited by Wizard on %b %21, %2006 - %17:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
def909

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:

#2 Show me the rising sea level wiping out prime real-estate (excl. earthquake tsunamis and hurricanes). Don't show me icebergs melting in the summer heat. Show me coastal hotels being abandoned due to the ocean washing them out. Show me the loss of jobs and ecomony over global warming...which in turn kills people. In other words, show me this is a major problem for society and not just a superficial phenomenon.

Wouldn´t it be a little too late then? On this topic (but not directed at you): I find it interesting that before the invasion of iraq, that **hole Bush never got tired of mentioning that it would be too late if it turned out that iraq _did_ have weapons of mass destruction. Why can´t he apply the same logic to environmental issues then? (not that I found his logic concerning iraq convincing at any time).

Don´t you see what might be at stake here? The world! It´s not like "Well, I think we have enough booze for the party tonight, let´s just take the risk of running out of it"...
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, even though it's been said before, I'm re-stating the Ian Malcolm point: The Earth is in no danger, regardless. Humanity might be, but the earth can take care of itself.

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
Environment was an 80s and 90s issue and has been taken care of...the USA is moving forward on to other things.

Shocked This HAS to be meant as a joke. Or someone is paying you to write that.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Ok, even though it's been said before, I'm re-stating the Ian Malcolm point: The Earth is in no danger, regardless. Humanity might be, but the earth can take care of itself.

yes i agree, the earth doesn't even care if humans exist or something... but you can be very sure that no matter what will happen, something will survive.... and probably this something will contain some humans.... AND WE ALL WANT APOCALYPSE... admit it
M'Kari

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Glimmervoid wrote:
Macavity wrote:

yes i agree, the earth doesn't even care if humans exist or something... but you can be very sure that no matter what will happen, something will survive.... and probably this something will contain some humans.... AND WE ALL WANT APOCALYPSE... admit it

Ermm no but I think we may have to try to live through it.
StarBreeze

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris: you 'll need some nice changes in the Temperature of the surface of the sun to produce the changes we are having here. Remember that the atmosphere, also protects us from radiation.

Child that shouted wolf before was true. But it seems that the money and human greed suffocated his voice. Smile

Do you remember that guy that studied the ozone cicles and the phenomenom of its destruction? Do you know that CFC industries tried to silence him by sinking his scientifical status?

Do you need another hole in the sky? Maybe you need more hurricanes asolating New Orleans, Cuba and so on. Nah wait. That happened because those sinners deserved gods punishment. Damned communists.

By the way, do the still show creationism in US schools? Phew, mama was made of mud.
*hums Lucy's in the Sky with Diamonds*
Zingr

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:

Psst, Al Gore's movie is "media"

He also invented the internet.

I allways thought it was Chuck Norris.
shaftdiggity

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

And yet, when it's all said and done, not we, nor our kids, nor our kids' kids, nor our kids' kids' kids, nor for anyone for very very very many generations will really have any direct life-threatening problems resulting from all this "global-warming".

On a side note, every been to Ohio in the winter......I opt for global warming.
Tophat

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Montagne wrote:

Maybe you need more hurricanes asolating New Orleans, Cuba and so on. Nah wait. That happened because those sinners deserved gods punishment. Damned communists.

Umm...shouldnt you maybe think before you post stuff like this . Im not overly pleased with it and I dont live in New Orleans or have any friends that do . I hope nobody reports you to the admins...ooh wait ...

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the sarcasm was well-implied....

P.S., Ark, I love you like a fish loves a Goth, but your arguments are also lacking in the argument department. "Someone lied once before" is not heavy on the logic......

Last edited by Macavity on %b %21, %2006 - %18:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
StarBreeze

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah.
Orangensaft

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2006 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

People! - Eat my Shorts!!
 Jump to: