17 coaches online • Server time: 04:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MindWright

Post 3 Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

If the Elves can have a Pro team, why not the 'flings?

While the Halflings are lured to the Blood Bowl field only by the culinary magnetism of a Master Chef, a few such coaches have made an effort to recruit small folk with talents useful on the field.

Qty Title Cost MA ST AG AV Skills
0-12 Halflings (standard)
0-2 Hairfeet 50,000 6 2 3 6 Dodge, Sure Feet, Stunty, Right Stuff - A
0-2 Stoutboys 60,000 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Block, Stunty - A
0-2 Tallfellows 70,000 6 2 3 6 Dodge, Sure Hands, Pass, Stunty - AP
0-1 Treeman (standard)
Reroll counters: 50,000 gold pieces each

Chef as normal but no special ingredients allowed since he is too busy dealing with an actual play book and coaching all these different players.

Essentially the new positionals are Halfing Runners, Halfling Blockers, and Halfling Throwers, but I thought these names were more colorful. I used abbreviations for their skill access.

A - Agility access only
AP - Agility and Passing access

I've edited the team above based on feedback from this discussion.

Last edited by MindWright on %b %03, %2005 - %13:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
tza

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

looks like fun:)
thesquig

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the look of it actually.

golan

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

i think that halfling must have the option to take 3 treeman, instead of only 2... in that case the team may compensate for their lack of strong guys.
origami

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks a little overpowered.

Four guys with general access plus a big guy is a bit much. Either get rid of the tree or reduce the number of stoutboys to two.
It's better to start out too weak than too strong when designing a team.
Dooby

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

As a big halfling fan (check out my teams) I would have to agree far too overpowered. Starting with block is a no-no look at gnomes. Think someone mentioned a ruffian once. 0-2 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Stunty, Dirty Player 60,000 G A (or something like that) I always liked the thought of giving these other teams some nasty fouls of our own. Mind you that was an addition to halflings not halfling pro team as suggested.

Love the names of the positional guys though Mr. Green
celas

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Everytime a new team comes out, a group of people seem to like it and some dislike it. We all have different values as to why it would be nice to play such as...oh it looks like a shiny object I would like to play with or maybe...that team would kick all the other teams in the jimmy! My preference is that there be some rationale for developing a new team. A rationale that starts with the warhammer world and not an admiration of a skill or ripoff of another team. Along with the rationale the team should be balanced when compared to others. Finally, it needs to playtested to show its balance and "playability" among other things.

If I am interpreting this team correctly and compare it halflings, you have essentially traded one treeman for 10 postional players (who can kick people in the jimmy), meaning that base lineman are no longer needed to field a full team. I won't go into the specifics of each position since it is obvious that this team is at least twice as powerful as regular flings. Despite this, part of me is intrigued by the team, but I also realize that it may be because it looks like a shiny object, with which it would be fun to play. The purpose of building a team is to expand the league, rather than to make other teams unneeded. This team would make flings unneeded.

After rereading this, my post may seem harsh, so please note the smily faces Smile Wink Razz ;p

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

You would be best off posting ideas like this on the actual blood bowl boards over on bloodbowl.com
MindWright

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Grumbledook, I did post it on bloodbowl.com, it was fairly thoroughly discussed there last month.

The team loses one Treeman, and the ability to try and steal more than one reroll with the Chef for access to the positionals.

Having a max of one Treeman has a pretty big impact however. A focused opponent can take out the Treeman, and the positionals aren't much tougher than base halflings. They all have ST 2 and only the Stoutboys have an improved AV of 7. The reduced ability to shift the odds in their favor makes things a bit more difficult too.

Four guys with general access isn't a big deal playing against regular teams, but origami is right, it is too much for the Stunty Leeg. The only team comparable would be Strigs and they have OFAB to mitigate things. I can see a couple of ways to reduce the power.

Reduce the Stoutboys, or alternatively all the positionals to 0-2.

Drop General Access for the Stoutboys.

Remove the chef entirely.

I can't see dropping the Treeman. These are supposed to be Halfling Pros, but if they don't have at least one Big TTM Buddy they won't be 'flings at all.

Any comments on what would be necessary to balance the team for Stunty Leeg play?
origami

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2005 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, play testing would be the most useful thing for balancing. Look at a few of the suggestions here in the forum, make a few changes, then try them against some other stunty teams at various TR. Personally, I would go with your suggestions of reducing all of the positionals to 0-2 and removing general access from the Stoutboys. See how they do, then...and remember that you aren't trying to make a team that is towards the upper end of the stunty power range.
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2005 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

shiny object

me wanna play
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2005 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

although i would raise the cost of rerolls a wee bit.

at the moment they are like strigs....but with only 1 player suffering from a negatrait and lots of positionals.

Maybe have extortionately priced rerolls to compensate for the fact that they are uber tough
MindWright

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2005 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I edited the team list and dropped the Stoutboys and Hairfeet to 0-2 of each. I also dropped General access for the Stoutboys.

I left the rerolls the same, a "Pro" team should be well practiced.

I think it's time to playtest for comparison to other Stunty teams.
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2005 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

looks a lot more reasonable that way actually.

could be interesting to play test
origami

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2005 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

mutescreamer wrote:
although i would raise the cost of rerolls a wee bit.

Increased RR cost wouldn't make as much difference with this team. The positionals already have sure hands, pass, sure feet, and block. This means that they really won't need the RR nearly as much as another stunty team. Typically, RR are priced according to how useful they are, which is why dwarves pay 40k and chaos pay 70k per RR.
 Jump to: