32 coaches online • Server time: 19:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Change squig hoppers pogo stick to leap+sprint?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 44 ]
No
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
No opinion
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 66

EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2004 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

There was no main reason why squigs/hoppers were given pogo. There were several factors:
1) It represents the squigs hopping ability alot better than sprint and leap (although in my experience multiple hops aren't used to often).
2) Squigs are animals and shouldn't be on the BB pitch and the penalty roll represents that well.
3) There are 6 squigs/hoppers on the roster, ejecting 1/6 per drive was a large balancing factor.
4) Pogo added to the mayhem factor.

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2004 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The best thing about this change is that you can now risk giving away handicap rolls. Before this, Under Scrutiny = Instant loss, and while that might be mayhem-y, it's not fun (and never mind that Cheaters and Gnomes suffer the same).

Although clearly it can't have been enough, because I had my worst Squig game yet today... Wink

/johan

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
Vukoyebina

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2004 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe make the squigs re roll the leaps to reduce amount of turnovers.

Though that would mean contacting Skijunkie to put the new skill (eg. leap1.5) in the client...
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2004 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Which won't happen. SkiJunkie is busy enough getting the LRB skills in to customize JBB (which is not a fumbbl exclusive) for some whacky fumbbl exclusive league.

-Mnemon
johan

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2004 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be very easy to increase the leaping power of the Squigs by giving them AG 5. However, I don't think that's teh way to go.

/johan

Bartok

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2004 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion the problem is that squiqs and hoppers can't choose general skills. This weakens the team a lot since the other teams are equiped with big guys that can. A posibility would be to let squiqs, hoppers or both take general skills.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2004 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I still think its too many negatraits packed onto one player. I forget the whole list now but who thought:

Really Stupid
OFAB
Penalty Roll

was a good idea for a player???

Even on a good day they eat your players or just do nothing and get sent off.

Nothing like the mayhem that squigs should really cause.

I reackon squigs should be rebuilt from the ground up with some proper randomness (like making squigs fanatics (on a roll of 1 they bounce and go BANG! + uncontrollable)).

Currently they're a bit of a poor team.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2004 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of Really Stupid, OFAB and the penalty roll but they could really do with G access, maybe just the squigs and drop them to 0-3 or even 0-2, although this would take away a bit from the squig theme. A possibilty would be 0-12 herders, 0-2 hoppers, 0-2 squigs (with general access) and 0-2 Goblin positionals (no idea what they'd be like though, Netters perhaps).

One thing that is certain is there's no further point in discussing whether or not they should be changed to leap+sprint as it's been done already.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2004 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Dudes, cmon ... plz wake up... sure, u can say : "hey, i made a squig team and i win alot of games, so they are balanced" .
That's rubish, i can also make a squig team and cherry pick like a nut and get a breaking win percentage for a squig team, but that's not the case... that's why the percentages matter, if the team has 25% win rate then its clearly inferior to others...

u can also say they are fun or fluff or whatever, but wtf does it matter when u get smashed to bits and decide to make a different team? any coach with half a brain uses the big guys to smash ur crappy av squigs, and then u have a thrall team, with squigs either getting hurt or hurting you.

i really dont play enough to decide who or what should be changed or done, but plz DO SOMETHING already instead of creating new threads each month to discuss something that i think is already a fact - Squigs Suck
johan

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2004 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Re-rolls at 60 K instead of 70 K would help a lot, and it would be an unobtrusive change. Squigs are one of the very few teams that really wants 8 re-rolls.

/johan

Glomp

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2004 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think their winning percentage is important. I doubt many people play in stunty hoping to win consistantly.

The problem is that they're really, really dull. Something a team full of crazed bouncing monsters should never be.

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2004 - 08:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Keeping pogo on hoppers cause its fluffy and make team less playable giving free wins to opponent and have boring 2nd halfs for squig players is kinda things where I draw the line beetween balanced and fluff in a somewhat different way than some other.
Squig concept in itself is fun even they are and prolly will be among the weakest races there is. What is more satisfying than strugling through hard times with your team to maybe develop it into strange, fun and maybe even to a team that someday can fight better for victory. Kinda like goblins in lrb that never ment to be good race and never ment to really win games. Teams like this aint ment for average joe to enjoy but it surely pleases some maniacs here and there.
johan

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2004 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Squigs are not a strong race, but I really can't understand why they underperform Cheaters and Gnomes. Gnomes were hopelssly bad even back when they had four Slayers, and Cheaters are almost mind-bogglingly crappy. Squigs feel much more solid (well, relatively speaking...)

/johan

Mnemon

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2004 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it might be that those that stick with their cheater/gnome team have learned to handle them a little better. Gnomes get a lot better once the bombers/cannons gain some skills.

-Mnemon
johan

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2004 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Possible. But if anything, the Gnome teams get *worse* once everyone else have two Big Guys with Block/Tackle/Multiblock. I had the biggest Gnome team on FUMBBL for a while, and for a while, I didn't manage to win for 25 straight matches with it... and that was with 4 Slayers/4 Bombers. The combination of the lowest move AND the worst bashing in Stunty is so very painful. It would be a rare match that I finished with more than 5 guys on the pitch.

But yes, once you have Pass+Accurate on a Bomber, he doesn't hurt you more than he hurts the opposition, at least... :-/

/johan

Jump to: