17 coaches online • Server time: 06:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which skill?
Dodge
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Sidestep
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Leader
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jump Up
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Pie!
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

Fantabulor

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2014 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey,

I have a longbeard with a double-4s roll. He has Guard, MB, and kick. I kind of just want him to remain on the team (and so far the only member not to miss a game) and play a linebacker-ish position on the team. I'm torn between going with dodge and sidestep in that regard. I'm also thinking maybe leader, as it would provide another utility skill on the same player (DP doesn't seem sensible on a player with kick). I also am considering jump up, though I'm leaning away from it. Although I have a poll, I'm more interested in reasoned suggestions. Please post and end my dilemma! (Team link here, player Clementine: http://www.fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=730208)
Fantabulor

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2014 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, any other suggestions are welcome.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2014 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

both dodge and side step him do his job better, can't really go wrong with either one. At the moment, I'm leaning a little more in favor of Side Step...but not much

Save Leader for a Runner--it's not a double skill on them

Jump up is nice and helps with the MV 4. But I like it more on the Slayers and Blitzers. Rather have dodge or side step on a Longb...err...Blocker.

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2014 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, forgot to put DT in there. That's an option too.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

DT is great, but she has little room left for improvement (most likely one skill, which could then of course be Stand Firm, but you won't get DT + Dodge + SF/Side Step) - I'd safe that for a "younger" blocker or blitzer.

Dodge is good, especially with Stand Firm later, but she'd be your only player with Dodge.

I think I'd go Side Step. Especially on defense it's nice to move her into the scrum once you know what your opponent is up to (since she'll be away from the LOS for kicking anyway). Can't have enough side-stepping guards really. Smile

Don't take Leader, it's wasted on her. Same goes for Jump Up, in my opinion.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

A well earned rest and play some test division matches? You seem to get a fair few games in.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

U have Runners to take Leader if you want. I don't like SS on doubles when you can get SF on normals. Dodge is decent enough and so is DT.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

So from what I'm seeing - Dodge/Sidestep is the general consensus, with emphasis on the latter. I'm thinking that given his backup roll, SS would be more useful than Dodge, but any proponents of DT out there? Please give me your thoughts!
Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd always aim for at least one diving-tackler (Blocker oder Blitzer), better two. However, they really work best with Dodge (+ Stand Firm/Side Step obviously). So, take DT as first, second or third skill (or later if you already have Dodge). Of course you can't really rely on rolling that and therefor plan ahead that much. If you think your team would currently benefit most from Diving Tackle (it adds really nice options, especially against elves/gutter runners), take it. And if you end up with three of those, it's not the end of the world (but pretty awesome).

Side Step is in many situations superior to Stand Firm, as it helps positioning. Well placed, you opponent should think twice before blocking/blitzing a side-stepper with guard (especially when he only gets a one-die block due to more Guard around). It even gets (much) better with Fend (if I rolled a double early on and don't want to take DT, I'd go Side Step/Guard/Fend). And as Jimmy says, Stand Firm can always be taken. Having a mix of both is great.

Dwarves either win through attrition or positioning (some say they can win through balling, but that's hardly true with very little exceptions) and you have much more influence on positioning success than on success in the bashing area. The skills Side Step, Stand Firm and Fend dramatically help you improving positioning.

Edit:
Brumbas and Vundir have both won me games in crucial situations - and together they were a nightmare for many an opponent. However, I once had three side-stepping Guards (if I remember correctly) and those were great times. It's really hard to deal with and they can more often than not rely on AV 9 to hold, so that they can get up and lend assists in an even better position than before getting knocked over (quite the opposite to what happens normally when a blocker goes down).

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally load my runners up with the utility skills. On this guy its between dodge, diving tackle and sidestep. Sidestep is best.

Oscar Wilde
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

DT