38 coaches online • Server time: 15:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BB_Babe

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

This is something I'm developing for tabletop play, but thought I'd check in with Stunty Fanatics for ideas and suggestions.

I recently picked up a pack of Clan Moulder Giant Rats & Handler and was inspired to do a Ratling Team (I don't care if that name is something else in 40K Cool ) Searching through the archives here, there was some discussion way back on a Moulder Team. But after sketching out some ideas that included giant rats and rat handlers, it was looking too fussy and complicated.

For me, the best figure in the pack is a rat-centaur (Musotaur to coin a Greek word Very Happy ) Inspired by this, I've started doing some conversions. Pics below. On the right is the metal rat-centaur from the rat pack blister, and the plastic rat and bat from the WHQuest/Swarms sprue. On the left are my first 4 conversions working from the plastic figs. For the ones with the bat torsos, I used the hind legs from the bat for the forearms. (These bat torsos could also make some fun little vamplings too...)

I think the team is best simplifed by dropping the idea of plain giant rats and handlers, and going with little proto-skaven mutants.

At the very least there should be 2 positions on the team (4-leggeds and 2-leggeds). There could be up to 4 positions if there’s a difference between the rat and bat mutants. 4 types isn’t necessary, but could add more flavour.

RATLING TEAM
40k 0-16 Rat Centaurs 7 2 3 6 - Block, Stunty (Gen, Ph)
60k 0-16 Ratlings 9 2 3 6 - Dodge, Stunty (Ag, Ph)
130k 0-2 Rat Ogres 6 5 2 8 - Wild Animal, Big Guy, MB, Frenzy, Prehensile Tail (St, Ph)

Cheers,
Maureen
celas

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the idea of another skaven stunty (and I have a few posts on my versions of it). Your line up is way too strong. All linos start with block? And then soon to get tackle and RSC on a double. Ratlings are too fast (one-turners in the making) and having two ROs....uffda. I would love to play with that line up, but they would destroy the other team. Rat centuars are underpriced too. They are halflings without dodge, but have block and +2 MV. Ratlings are skinks with +1 MV and -1 AV are cheaper but have access to mutations too? Pretty tough. I like the idea, but it needs more work to tone it down.
Superstar

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Either drop the ratlings STR or MA, they are very strong compared to other Stunty teams. The idea and fluff isnt to bad. I got few constructiv things though, they just look to strong as they are imho.
BB_Babe

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I was looking at cost compared to regular Skaven

A regular Linerat is 50k 7 3 3 7 [Gen, Ph]
Rat Centaur is 40k; -1 ST, -1 AV, + Block

A Gutter Runner is 80k 9 2 4 7 Dodge [Ag, Ph]
Ratling is 60k; -1 AG, -1 AV

However they finally get tweaked, I wouldn't want them overpriced compared to Skaven.

For Stunty Leeg here, do you generally compare everything to the overpriced Halflings instead of the Goblins? For developing my table top teams for a home league, my inclination is towards balancing off the Goblin standard. Fluff-wise, I think the Ratlings, like Skaven, ought to be faster than Skinks. But avoiding OTS's may be a good reason to cut them back to MA 8.
celas

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I would make comparisons to other stunty teams instead of regular skaven since that is who the team will play. I used flings as a comparison out of habit. If you compare the players to goblins and skinks, the Ratlings need to be slowed a bit (if you want them to be faster and have mayhem give them MV 8 and sprint). The ratlings will never be put on the LoS as you have cheaper players for that so they will not die like skinks do. That makes the ratlings a much better player than a skink and for a cheaper cost. The centuars are still underpriced compared to goblins. Not in a ranked division, but definitely for stunty. Yes they can be knocked down easier, but they can score easily with MV 7, get CAS easily with block, and access to general and physical allows you access to too many great skills for Stunty Leeg. You will have a few block/tackle/RSC, at least one with kick and a few with DP. Kick and DP are huge game changers in stunty as kick can eliminate one-turn scoring and hurt the slow teams like gnomes, nurgs, and snots, and a few DPs against the opposing teams BGs after one of the two ROs knock them down will make for a quick game.
BB_Babe

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I do like the idea of the ratlings being faster than Skinks, but not quite as fast as the Gutter Runners. I also like avoiding OTSs. so Sprint is a good answer.

I’m not entirely convinced that the Centaurs are overpriced compared to Goblins. They go up 1 MA and down 1 AV, and get Block and access to Physical in place of Dodge and Right Stuff. Block and Physical are a good combo, but since all the stunties here are AV 6, that puts the team on the bad side of the bell curve for 2D6 armour rolls. So that seems to be a pretty good balance. I think I’d like to playtest this lineup before tweaking the centaurs.

I might consider trading Block for Sure Feet (and possibly Sprint too), like the Bull Centaurs. I’d like the figure to have some skill for its 4 feet. But I think its really amusing to have a blocker with ST 2 and AV 6. This is more entertaining than Sure Feet.

Going with either 1 or 2 Rat Ogres would require tweaking in a format somewhere. Since I’m doing this team for tabletop play, and like playing BB7s, having 2 on the full roster allows 1 for BB7. And 2 should give the team some chance playing non-stunty teams. However, if anyone wanted to adopt this team for the Stunty Leeg here, go ahead and drop it to 1 RO if that balances well here. (I won’t be playing online, I try to avoid any type of computer games. Need to limit my vices. I spend enough time modding and painting miniatures Confused )

RATLING TEAM
40k 0-16 Rat Centaurs 7 2 3 6 - Block, Stunty (Gen, Ph)
60k 0-16 Ratlings 8 2 3 6 - Dodge, Sprint, Stunty (Ag, Ph)
130k 0-2 Rat Ogres 6 5 2 8 - Wild Animal, Big Guy, MB, Frenzy, Prehensile Tail (St, Ph)

Cheers,
Maureen
Gil-Galad

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

huh huh

i'm not convinced that having fatser players than skinks, followed by big guys, is SO balanced compared to skinks, hm
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

*cough* musotaur in greek would mean the bearded bull...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2005 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, 16 potential one-turners..? That is strong...
16 stunties with block? Even stronger...
But if you remove the rat-ogres it might be sort of fair.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

can someone tell me who would ever play skinks anymore after this team?.... its... well.... inzane for a stunty team
BB_Babe

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

LordSnotball wrote:
*cough* musotaur in greek would mean the bearded bull...

mus (mouse/rat) + o (linking vowel) + taur (well this gets tricky -- Minotauros is from [King] Minos + tauros; but from there I don't know how we got Kentauros as the name of the first centaur; I'm willing to go with the -taur ending as generic for half-breed thingies. Other suggestions are welcome.)

Is anyone willing to offer constructive options? If 16 blockers is too much, what do you think would be a good number? 0-4? 0-6? 0-8?

As for Skinks, AV7 is a lot better for your health than AV6. AV7 gives a 15:36 chance of failing an armour roll. AV6 is 21:36.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

O_o

wooossshhhh unbalanced as hell (yes hell is unbalanced don't ask me why).

Even reducing the blockers to 4 it's too powerfull.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

lol, this team must be a joke, stunties can't have block, not even with str1
johan

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2005 - 01:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, this may well be the most broken (of the seriously intended) stunty team I have ever seen!

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
f_alk

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2005 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

My 2€cents:

- instead of Rat centaurs, use
Bone Gnawers
40k; 0-16; 7 1 3 6 - Dirty Player, Stunty (Ag, Ph)
(Fluff: noone wants to fall down close to many rats ...)

-reduce the number of Ratlings to 4
 Jump to: