26 coaches online • Server time: 02:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mully

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2004 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

If you find yourself playing in one of these matches without realising it then you only have yourself to blame

Puss - Im not worried about the vets. Anyone who has hot the 100 game mark on FUMBBL knows enough coaches to match up with someone with similar styles. Im more concerned with the new players who come here, get butchered by a couple of MU coaches and then leave to go to OBBL or some other league cause they think FUMBBL is full of a$$holes.

I certainly wouldnt want this site to have that reputation. But talking to some new coaches that's what they think the majority here is.

Last edited by Mully on %b %23, %2004 - %21:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Seppuku

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2004 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
*sigh*

We do tell our opponents with weeks of spam.
Constantly bumped threads.
Lots of smack talk in the main channel.

I really don't want to have to state the obvious before every game.

Some people, perhaps online less than you pustus, might not get to hear about the 'new' *MU...or a new season. This is infinitely more likely for the newbies. I for one take very little notice of the Thread headlines, or mumblings in main chat, and only if I know what the abbreviations & stuff mean, AND have an interest, do I read them. There's all sorts of stuff I don't know about (playing BBowl well for one), and I've spent a lot of time here in the last year.

Bear in mind not everyone has an awareness, and it's unfair to berate the unwary. A lot of coaches don't know/don't have time to check *MU rosters, and take on a game assuming that, for example, if they are 1-3 down with 3 turns left, only 5 players left and the Apo's gone, that a 'normal' coach might go for another easy TD...and not 3 more DP'd fouls with as many assists as possible, and ignoring the score.

Informing, or at the very least displaying a logo on the team page, would be a fair way of getting rid of the moans & groans. Lots of games happen when people really don't know it's an EMU coach, that's why it's cowardly, and there's ill feeling. I for one would start playing ranked again if the scurge of the silent/secretive *MU'ers was removed. If you're open and forward about your membership before the match is agreed, I'll create an Elf team that would play you.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2004 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
We do tell our opponents with weeks of spam.
Constantly bumped threads.
Lots of smack talk in the main channel.

That sounds like a lot of work. I wonder why you wouldn't take the much easier step and just tell them prior to agreeing to a match.

inquisitorpustus wrote:

I really don't want to have to state the obvious before every game.

It's not obvious, I hardly spectate games yet I'm suprised by the number of games where people are suprised to find out midgame that they are now playing BLOOD Bowl because their opponent is part of some Mangling Union or other.

inquisitorpustus wrote:
Not going to do someone elses work for them.

I find it odd that you call others lazy, yet you have the easier task, yet you refuse to do it. Rolling Eyes

I'd wager that it has less to do with lazyness and more to do with the fact that you would have a much harder time getting games if you had to tell people that you were part of a group that plays BLOOD Bowl and not Blood Bowl. By not being fully upfront about your affiliation, you unwittingly recruit members in to your group (as victims). Sure this may be fun for you. But I don't think everyone enjoys this being manipulated into being a part of a group that plays BLOOD Bowl. But I think it's a safe bet that a coach who joins such a group and doesn't have the common decency to tell his opponent before the match, really doesn't give a damn about the coaches he plays.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Bushy Claus

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2004 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I think everyone is missing the point.. the EMU is EVIL!!!!

I can't speak for the other MUs but...

Personally I encourage every underhanded trick within the fumbbl rules be used to get a match.

KILL!

EDIT:
However, if you all want I can whup up a .gif of a bouquet of flowers to send to noobs who just got salughtered, make them feel a part of the community and all.

Cheers.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2004 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmmmmm. I got an idea. I like MU´s but am not part of anything until next season kicks off. How about we create UMU - Union Mangling Union where you get points for crushing any member that belongs to an MU or Kaos. I would enjoy that - create a real challenge Very Happy

Only problem is I have to join the DMU when its up next season - so I may turn traitor!!!!!! Sad

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be with you, morbid. It's been a long time I dream of an 4 DP elf squad. noooo amazones. no elves. don't know.

would be good. Beat the bashers on their own field.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Look, how complicated is it to look at the forums?

If you have time to play a 1 1/2 hour game then surely you have 2 minutes to skim through the topics. Hell, do it DURING THE GAME! Theres nearly always a bit of slow play or time to be doing smething else!
I'd be willing to take bets that during season time, more new people have heard of the EMU than have read the userguide!

Typical conversation in #Fumbbl_Academy:

<Me> So you've read the living rulebook and the userguide right?
<Them> Ooops no I probably should. I just wanted to learn how to play so I could join that Chaos thing.

Laughing

Oh and to prove my point beyond doubt:

BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD

Razz

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 04:23 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
Look, how complicated is it to look at the forums?

There's any easy way to settle this: automatic group affiliation in IRC, the gamefinder and team bios. Then you wouldn't have the overhead of screaming your head off in the forums.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh.. but then we just don't put our real teams in the group.. just a U place holder team...

Unless the logos in gamefinder are *really* cool

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You are Evil Bunny Puncher Evil or Very Mad

Your ruining this game for all the people who cant be bothered to look at their opponents team roster before joining a game Wink

Didnt paulhicks foul this thread to death way back on page 9
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

what you really need is when you accept a game vs a MU team your irc program should start flashing and beeping at you saying "Warning! MU team! Are you sure you wish to proceed?"

Honestly guys... is it that hard to find a game? if so then start up your own little gropup with friends you have made on fumbbl who play the way you like so you dont have the mispleasure of encountering some powergaming so and so

/me yawns...
paulhicks

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well said brownrob.
And yes i did foul this thread to death but scince it seems to have a limitless supply of apothocaries im quite happy to enjoy the free publicity Laughing Laughing Laughing
Remember: D.M.U. season 2 isnt far away.....
Look.... theres the link down there.... well.... what are you waiting for?
↓↓↓↓