53 coaches online • Server time: 14:22
Index Search Usergroups Profile
Log in
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Human League Premier...goto Post Learning with a frie...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...
SearchSearch 
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Best Post Apocalyptic flop?
Waterworld
34%
 34%  [ 55 ]
Salute of the Jugger (called The Blood of heroes in some regions)
17%
 17%  [ 28 ]
The Postman
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
Dredd (not the sly stallone one)
25%
 25%  [ 40 ]
Deathrace 2000
7%
 7%  [ 12 ]
Deathsport
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Cyborg
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 160


garyt1



Joined: Mar 12, 2011

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2020 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Many of the small changes look encouraging. Possible could be some issues.

Is the skill costing something you have to pay when your player reaches a skill band... so for example if a player get 6 spps then you have to pay one of the fees before you get a skill. If you are bankrupted already from player replacement, or if you just dont want to increase TV/spend money you can just ignore the skillup? Perhaps even wait till you get to 16 spps and pay for 2 skills?

With the 6+ versus no pass the ratio of skeles to zombies could reverse! :O

As mentioned above time wasting punishments if stalling could be a major issue... but perhaps this is something that would be put as optional..doesn't sound like it was in an optional section, but if there was no punishment?..
Having no stalling in a passing league for example could be of interest to a few.

_________________
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”
WhatBall



Joined: Aug 21, 2008

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Is the skill costing something you have to pay when your player reaches a skill band... so for example if a player get 6 spps then you have to pay one of the fees before you get a skill. If you are bankrupted already from player replacement, or if you just dont want to increase TV/spend money you can just ignore the skillup? Perhaps even wait till you get to 16 spps and pay for 2 skills?

I may be wrong, but the way I read the skill up cost is that is how much TV you add. E.g. you can take a normal skill at 20 or double at 40, or gamble and take a random skill and it costs you only 10 or 20 TV respectively. Could be a good long term gamble on some players, especially disposable ones for a first skill.

The random skill choice will be a little easier to gamble with if you can pick the skill category.

I am guessing this is a way to try and encourage more diverse player builds. Might just end up with people dropping more 1st skill players if they don't get a suitable random.

_________________
Image
ph0enyx13



Joined: Nov 14, 2015

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

20k for a random double sounds like a lot of rolling the dice on linos for guard and big guys for block and then dropping players who don't roll either
Jim_Fear



Joined: May 02, 2014

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't care about the new rules, but I'm mad about the poll. I cannot decide between Dread or Cyborg. Damn...

_________________
Image
garyt1



Joined: Mar 12, 2011

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:

I am guessing this is a way to try and encourage more diverse player builds. Might just end up with people dropping more 1st skill players if they don't get a suitable random.

Yes if they banned retiring one skill healthy players it could work. But that won't be happening. Also the rules are not aimed for really long term teams.

_________________
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.”
Kondor



Joined: Apr 04, 2008

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 04:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Normal roll skill determined randomly: +10k
Normal roll skill chosen: +20k
Double roll skill determined randomly: +20k
Double roll skill chosen: +40k
+1Av: 10k
+1MA or +1PAs: 20k
+1Ag 40k
+1St 50k


So, do I read the order of operations correctly?

Choose if it will be a random or chosen skill. Roll the dice. If my dwarf lineman has chosen random, on a normal roll he could end up with Grab as easily as Guard. On a double, I could end up with shadowing as easily as Dodge.

If that is the way it works, I would have to play a ton of games before taking a random skill would be worthwhile. You are FAR more likely to get a skill you don't want than one you do on a player. You will have to burn through alot of players to save a little TV.

On the other hand, if you are happy playing with whatever you roll you could wind up with a ton of skillful cheap players.
Kondor



Joined: Apr 04, 2008

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I am intrigued by the idea of an anti-stalling rule. I am not sure who it would favor but I think it may give bashers a bit of an advantage.

Early in a half on defense you could judiciously let players into your backfield and go heavy after the ball carrier. If he goes downfield too quickly he is forced to score or risk the penalty. He also cannot cage as easily within scoring distance for a couple of turns. It gives the defense time to rally and set up screens between the ball and the endzone.

On the flip side, a fast and agile team no longer has to worry about bashers camping in a cage near the endzone. If they stay 6-7 squares away, you will be able to set up good screens and make scoring very difficult. The basher has to be very careful about when he makes a push to score. In fact, an agile defense may chose to invite the ball carrier to close and then put pressure on the rear of his cage. If he moves forward, you force a score. If he lags you have a better chance to steal the ball.

An anti-stalling rule would fundamentally change the game. At present, I don't know if that would be a good thing or a bad one.
tussock



Joined: May 29, 2011

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 05:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Guessing but Stalling keyword probably triggers the Prayers to Nuffle chart referenced in the kickoff event, on a condition like, if you have no standing players at the start of your turn, or four or less on pitch, or something like that.

Generally hopeless cases in the game that people can stall out when you can't do much, get a fans to stun d3 random players or something, so there's at least some chance. Very Happy

_________________
ImageImage
Kondor



Joined: Apr 04, 2008

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 06:58 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
Guessing but Stalling keyword probably triggers the Prayers to Nuffle chart referenced in the kickoff event, on a condition like, if you have no standing players at the start of your turn, or four or less on pitch, or something like that.

Generally hopeless cases in the game that people can stall out when you can't do much, get a fans to stun d3 random players or something, so there's at least some chance. Very Happy


The following quote is from the original post.

Time Wasting

If a player is stalling defined as follows -
1. player is not marked
2. has the ball
3. can be activated and can walk into the opposing endzone without throwing a d6
4. can do make it to the end zone without having to GFI or dodge


So my defensive turn I blitz the ball carrier and push him within range of scoring on his turn without a GFI. I choose not to follow. He has a clear path to the endzone.

Now, if there is a penalty for stalling, he must either score this turn or take the penalty. If there is no penalty then the text is just wasted print space.

Without further clarification, I would say that throwing a block prior to scoring risks the penalty. If you roll snakes on a block before scoring, it looks like you would be in violation of the time wasting rule.
Grod



Joined: Sep 30, 2003

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:

Without further clarification, I would say that throwing a block prior to scoring risks the penalty. If you roll snakes on a block before scoring, it looks like you would be in violation of the time wasting rule.


I imagine that's the intent. Otherwise you could accidentially dodge a player through 5 tackle zones and pretend to be sorry you were time wasting when he fell over...

_________________
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Oscar Wilde
Balle2000



Joined: Sep 25, 2008

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
So my defensive turn I blitz the ball carrier and push him within range of scoring on his turn without a GFI. I choose not to follow. He has a clear path to the endzone.

This implies that you can still stall without being punished, as long as you don't stall within scoring range.


Last edited by Balle2000 on Aug 05, 2020 - 08:41; edited 6 times in total
mister__joshua



Joined: Jun 20, 2007

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 08:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Kondor wrote:
So my defensive turn I blitz the ball carrier and push him within range of scoring on his turn without a GFI. I choose not to follow. He has a clear path to the endzone.

This implies that you can still stall without being punished, as long as you don't stall within scoring range.


I believe that’s the case. I think it would be hard to determine someone was stalling, from a rules perspective, if they weren’t in scoring range.

_________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Balle2000



Joined: Sep 25, 2008

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Is this the advent of a new stalling ball carrier with -MA x2, that can stay extra close to the endzone without being punished for time wasting?

Will we see a sudden influx in MA4 Stalling Zombies and Stalling Dorfs with Catch or Sure Hands for stalling plays involving hand-offs or fumblerooskies? Laughing
Muff2n



Joined: May 20, 2017

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Fumbble rooksie is the one. Put the ball on the ground just outside the end zone. Now cage the ball. I'm not stalling ref!
Garion



Joined: Aug 19, 2009

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2020 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:

Something I saw in the-Sage's vid on the leaks was that pro would allow you to reroll a single block die. This would be a really good skill if true as using it would be completely safe on 2D or 3D blocks that already had 1 safe result to keep.


Thank you. You are correct, or Sage is. I just re-read the pro and you can pick a dice out a set of block dice and use pro on it. Add to the list.

Big change for Pro effectiveness.

_________________
Image
Display posts from previous:     
 Jump to:   
All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic