49 coaches online • Server time: 12:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2020 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Storr wrote:
Norse 20/3/2

Did you miss the Troll at all?
Joost

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2020 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Incredibly impressive run! Squad Joost takes of its hat in humbled silence.
inigocastillo5893

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2020 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats Storr! What a record!!!
I'm happy with 77.5, the idea was reach 75 so fine.
I started a second squad trying win some racial lead.
Storr

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2020 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

No, I didn't miss the troll at all. He would just have raised my TV unnecessarily. When I played against high av opponents I usually had the skill advantage, having the snow troll would have meant 8 more skills like guard or mb for my opponent. He is not worth that in my opinion.
fxiii

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2020 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

congratulations, incredible scores !!
SpecialOne

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2020 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

3rd time is a charm. I made it. In the 3rd try I managed to play all 100 games.

Sorry to say, but I wouldn't have made it without the 1 month lockdown due to corona. My first aim was to finish all 100 games. DONE!
2ndly I wanted to be in the top 100. DONE!
3rdly I dreamed of top 50. CLOSE!

Now for my results.

Ogres 4/8/13
I hope to get 13 games as win/draw, but just missed it. A team I am not used to playing, and that showed. In the stats I am 34th 14 days before the end. Not too impressive. I will probably not play this team for a long time.

Norse 9/10/6
Norse is an old favorite of mine. We are not so close as we used to be, and I made the rookie mistake of getting in too much of a brawl in the first games. So lost a lot of players. But am happy to finish above 50% win with them. Looking at 43 racial. The glasscannon was made of glass this time around

Tomb Kings 13/5/7
This team is more and more to my liking. Also took them to BBT2, but didn't finish the run back then. Was in the run for the best Khemri, but around game 17-20 that dream died with a couple of losses. You guys are amazing at this game! But looks like ending 12th in the racial run.

Undead 16/5/4
A long time favorite of mine. One of my most secure teams to play. Also here I was in the run for best Undead, but also tripped within the last 4-6 games. You know, when you see the goalline and just need 2 GFI without a RR. You will trip. So did I. Might end as combined 2nd place in the racial. Am very happy with that.

All in all, a run I am happy with. Ogres. Not for me. Norse? Got a bit tired of them during the run. Khemri. Should I get some minis for this team? Probably! Undead. the love has not weakend at all! Stil my favrite team to play.

I hope you all get to finish your run of 100 games. Its a nice feeling to make it. I wonder. Will we see a final standing where the coaches with multiple entries are cut down to their best squad? So I can see the final standing, as it should be? Would be great!
fxiii

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2020 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

4th and last squad finished, oof ! painful is not enough to describe this last run (probably should have stopped at 3 but i'm kind of masochist !)

so there was not a lot of choice, having already played 12 rosters. needed vamps and goblins +2 3 points team so i tried nurgles and necros. Nurgles are expensive for 3 points but we have enough in the box, so, fair enough !

Nurgles did 14-9-2, racial lead, which is quite good as the early games without any blockers are hard to deal with (1-5-1 for the 7 first so a strong end) good bashing here (+26 cas average)

Necros did 12-8-5, very bad job after a terrible start (3-0-4), the team never really worked, i couldnt find how to deal with... only +3 cas average after 25 games maybe explain this

Vampires end 13-4-8 after 5 wins in the end... rolled stats up and took them: very bad idea for a 25 game run, been playing tv 140 without any blocker, not very efficient !! now team is correctly built and maybe i'll keep on playing them, when it works it's just too good !! 21-76 cas taken in 25 games though, that's a lot !

last but not least, goblins !! i like these green little boyzz and played them a lot, even if i've never been very successful with... started 7-1-1 and rolled +ag on pogo stick, sky was blue, sun shined and we started thinking of stealing racial lead !! then things turned bad, more than i can imagine, with an amazing losing streak as the team ends 8-3-14 (so 1-2-13 in the last 16 games!!)... overall unluck was amazing, meeting mainly elves, power rosters, good coaches, rolling horrible (even terrible coaches walked on our green faces).

so, really happy to end this, overall score is 70.5 and doesnt really matter and i can proudly say i played 400 trophy games this year, with different fortunes between the teams Smile

see you all on season 4, don't know how things will happen when rules will change but we'll be in, for sure !

cheers !
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2020 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Only 2 days left for this season and I finally finished my run. I really enjoyed it and came in on 20th place with 79.5 points, which is a much better result than I ever imagined I could do. Granted, Storr's #1 run is on a whole different level and completely out of sight, but I did overtake some coaches I hold in very high regard.

Like in the previous seasons, I chose teams I had not played before and went for a mix in playstyles.

Ogres: 12/3/10
After a pathetic start (1/0/5) they surprised me with a good number of wins. Getting skills on the Ogres really improves their performance, 3d is just so much better than 2d. Towards the end, Clobs won games on his own – my MA6 AG3 blodge BT Ogre! I also enjoyed playing them in all 3 rulesets, first without disposable and Punter, then with, then with disposable not counting for pairings. It was interesting and certainly explains the bad start at least in part. They were more fun than frustration which I did not expect. Sadly never kicked a teammate, not even once.

Norse: 14/7/4
They started into their debut match with 3 failed 3+ pickups with team reroll in their first 3 turns. I was dreadfully anxious where this would be going. Like the Ogres they started slow (1/3/2) but picked up speed when the Ulfs got block and MB and the catcher had blodge, sure hands and +AG.
I was hard pressed by being outnumbered in so many games, I can hardly believe I only lost 4. Felt more like 14.

Undead: 16/5/4
Very good race to play, they always seem to bring a lot of power for their TV (opposite experience of my Nurgles in last season). I had a +ST wrestle tackle ghoul that was very helpful, but my mummies had issues. I lost 3 of them on the way, more than ghouls! I think 2 good mummies would have given my team more stability. They joined a RRR (out in 2nd round) and the low TV minor where they made it to the winners semi final. So 3 of 4 losses came in tournies, maybe doing them isnt the clever meta-strategy I thought it is after all. Very Happy

Elf Union: 18/4/3
Surpassed only by Storr (by a good bit though), yet better than even Malmir, I am equally proud and puzzled by such a good record. They just kept snatching wins! Playing agressive with the blitzers at the right times does give the opponent a hard time.

All in all I had a ton of luck with all my teams and got more points than my abilities can be credited with. Feels like I was more windshield than fly this season. I also think I came away as a better coach on the whole with a better understanding for how these previously unplayed races work. I am not as a good as the super inflated CR the trophy left me with indicates, though, not by a long shot! XD
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2020 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well done!
Sableheart

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2020 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Just ended my run, with hours to spare. Lost my enthousiasm halfway through, which I'll get into below, but regained it just in time to finish all games at a reasonable schedule. 100 games is definately more doable then 150.

I ended with 59.0 points, better then the target of 55.5 I set myself at the beginning of the season, ending just outside the top 100. I'm happy with that result, but there's also plenty of room for improvement for the next seasons.

Just like last year, I will add the bonus points you would get for unused team budget to the lower cost teams, to give an equal comparison between teams. For the teams that I also used last year, I will furthermore calculate what their score would have been according to last years system, if I'd played 30 games with the same win rate.

[BBT3] Towering Titans - Tomb Kings - 12 wins (12), 7 draws (3.5), 6 losses (0), 25 completed games (2.5), 1 point unused team budget (2.5) - 20.5 points total
At the beginning of the season, I really struggled with them, going 1/1/4 in the six games I played in 2019. When I picked them back up in June, however, they started rolling, ending up with a very strong result that I had not at all expected. It may be that I'm better with them once they pick up a couple of skills (guard Tomb Kings help a lot, as does a Block/Tackle/Break Tackle TK), it may be that the skill level at the beginning of a Trophy season was a bit too high for me, but I'm very happy with how they ended up. Great team, would play again.

[BBT3] Stonehorn Butchers - Ogre - 7 wins (7), 7 draws (3.5), 11 losses (0), 25 completed games (2.5), 3 points unused team budget (7.5) - 20.5 points total
Season 2 scoring: 8.4 wins (8.4), 8.4 draws (4.2), 13.2 losses (0), 30 completed games (3.0), 3 points unused team budget (7.5) - 23.1 points total
I have mixed feelings about my ogres this season. I love playing them, and getting an AG4 ogre was awesome. However, most of that happened after my 8 month break, which was directly caused by them. I HATED the changes they received. Yes, ogres could use buffs, but I'd hoped those buffs would focus on making the ogres more interesting. Instead, they fully focused on the snots. Kick teammate is far more finicky and far less reliable then Throw teammate, a desperate version of an already desperate tactic. There were several instances were I'd dearly wished that my punter simply had throw teammate. To make matters worse, Ogres don't really have reasonable inducements available for my playstyle, which focuses heavily on the ogres. The main thing the original changes did was make it far less likely for them to find games, especially since the team had 2 out of 5 ogres with injuries right when the changes were introduced. I dreaded activating them so much that they directly caused my half year break of trophy games. When I picked the trophy back up again, the rules had changed to ignore disposable when finding matches, so the problem wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared. I loved playing them, and their result is a clear improvement over last season, but oh, what could have been.

[BBT3] Boxed Racers - Elven Union - 7 wins (7), 7 draws (3.5), 11 losses (0), 25 completed games (2.5), 1 point unused team budget (2.5) - 15.5 points total
Season 2 scoring: 8.4 wins (8.4), 8.4 draws (4.2), 13.2 losses (0), 30 completed games (3.0), 1 point unused team budget (2.5) - 18.1 points total
A slight improvement over last year, but I still struggle with elves. For my target of 55.5, I needed a modified 17 points from each team, and they didn't get there. I don't mind playing them, but that I end up with the same scoreline as my ogres is saying a lot. I'll probably be looking to different teams in future trophies.

[BBT3] RBBC Guardian Dragons - Lizardmen - 12 wins (12), 1 draw (0.5), 12 losses (0), 25 completed games (2.5), 0 point unused team budget (0) - 15 points total
Season 2 scoring: 14.4 wins (14.4), 1.2 draws (0.6), 14.4 losses (0), 30 completed games (3.0), 0 point unused team budget (0) - 18 points total
Last season, I got 12.5 points with them, which was a terrible disappointment. This season I did much better, but still not nearly good enough for what I feel should be my best team. I guess I'm simply wrong about that last part. I love playing them, and will definitely pick them up again, but if I want my best performance, I should not turn to them.

Tomb Kings: 20.5 points
Ogre: 20.5 points
Elven Union: 15.5 points
Lizardmen: 15 points
Team budget modifier: -12.5 points

Total score: 59 points
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2020 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Firstly congratulations to Storr – an amazing score that was well worth the title. And commiserations to Joost as runner-up – an excellent score which I thought would win it!

Finished my season a few days ago too, and a very odd one it was from the sublime to the ridiculous:

Hag Graef Super Hags (Dark Elf) 18-7-0
The Invincibles Very Happy Dark elfs were always a no-brainer for me, great side and well worth 2pts. This side could just do no wrong despite not playing any stunties, only one ‘1 point’ team, and lots of legends and superstars. Although not lucky in the matchups they rode their luck on the dice. Ended up with the race title; if only my other teams could have gone as well…

Slannted and Enchanted (Slann) 14-5-6
I like playing Slann, and last year they were probably key to me winning Season 2 with a 75% win rate. But this time they cost me any chance. Enchanted? These poor frogs were cursed. They got 8 games against dwarfs of one kind or another, which is horrible for slann. You painstakingly skill up a few catchers with dodge, get a strip-baller… all rendered useless by the beardy little *******s with mass tackle and surehands. Meanwhile you have maybe one or two with wrestle or block, they have loads of block, armour, plus guards and mighty blow too. Against dwarfs they won 2 and lost 6 which says it all really; I suppose they did quite well to go unbeaten 12 -5- 0 against the other teams despite having a mangled team with perms and loners for much of the season.

Thor’s Thanes (Norse) 13 - 9 -3
Fairly solid but this team had a strange and uncanny knack of drawing games late on when they should have won. Fun as always with Norse but they were not quite up to the level they needed to be to challenge at the top.

Da Blak Spydaz (Underworld) 12 -5 -8
The BBT is great for encouraging coaches to try new races, so this season I thought I’d try Underworld for the first time. Well I suppose they got a winning record but I think I have a lot to learn with them. I found them a very odd team, very streaky. You have games where the claw/MB blitzers run hot and tear apart the opposition for an easy win (and one or two games against min-maxed dwarfs with only 12 or even 11 players were very cathartic after all the pain with slann - ahhh that was good Very Happy). But I also had games where they would outblock the opponent but not hurt a fly… and meantime you steadily lose gobbos and the weaker skaven. Two-headed gobbos were good fun, but I found the team very hit and miss!

So a season of extremes, strange how some teams just seem to click and go on good runs, while others seem to get bad luck. I guess mangled teams are part of it – obviously you don’t get the luxury of retiring them in the BBT! 10th place overall with 84 ppoints, not bad I guess after that torrid run with the slann!

Well done to all who completed the 100 games and looking forward to the next season!

Last edited by DrDeath on Oct 01, 2020 - 16:35; edited 1 time in total
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2020 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Finished my century today.

Personal highlight was ascending to the top of the Slann ladder with the Sanglac Aviators never having played this endangered species before.

Thanks to forgcommander happygrue for directing us to a safe landing.

16/4/5

Also, hey Slann, I just met you, and this is crazy, but you might be my one true love, I just wish we'd met all those years ago, so call me, maybe?

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Sableheart

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2020 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a link available to the old trophy?

The default link now points to season 4
DonnyRainboe

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2021 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Sableheart"]Is there a link available to the old trophy?

The defa
Sir William Sutherland, KCB, PC was a Scottish civil servant, Liberal Party politician and colliery owner. He was closely associated with Prime Minister David Lloyd George serving as his private and press secretary and later as his Parliamentary Private Secretary. He was one of Lloyd George's go-betweens in the sale of honours for the Lloyd George Fund. In his dealings with the press he would certainly have been labelled a spin doctor if that phrase had had currency in the early twentieth century, indeed he has recently been described as "the first of the modern spin doctors".

:twisted: :twisted: HTML is OFF
DonnyRainboe

Post 17 Posted: Mar 27, 2021 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

HTML is OFF

Is an option.?
 Jump to: