37 coaches online • Server time: 14:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Java

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2020 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see a few of way bb20 is going to change the way TT tournaments are run.

1) Skill selection can now be done exactly as detailed in the Exhibition Play section. You get a set number of SPPs and you spend them on the team. TOs will decide how much stacking, if any, you are allowed to do (and initially I don't see many allowing double/triple skills)

1b) Probably random skills are not viable for larger tournaments, but I can see a small (8-12 people) tournament where the TO does the rolls in a live video recording prior to the tournament. Opening the door to statups...

2) Tiering is so much easier. Yes, you can still go 5 primary for tier 1, 5 primary and a secondary for tier 2, 6 primary and 2 secondary for stunties... but why not give each tier a set number of SPPs to spend?
The only drawback to this is checking all the rosters, but then again coaches can be kindly asked to show their working Wink

3) Skill selection is more restrictive now. The only problem I can think of here, is that Leader access is very limited for certain teams, which will have to splash out for a thrower if they want that caddy, and no longer just use a double on a lino for that. Are there any teams that have literally no P access across the roster?

4) Stars! There's such a wide variety of choice here. Any team that can take Hakflem and does not have AG2+ players is at risk of being a target of the "Roxanna plus some Amazons" complaint. Only now it's snots, goblins, chorfs, chaos, etc. I'm not advocating for no stars in TT tournaments, I just think this is going to be a trend that might appear, for the sake of variety (paradoxically!), or the standard cash allowance might drop to 1050k or even a nice round million.

How do you think BB20 impacts non-prog/resurrection tournaments?

Last edited by Java on Nov 18, 2020 - 16:25; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2020 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

If the SPPs allows more skills then we can have higher TV tournaments

Personally, I would like to have that on progression too so that teams could go straight into higher TV tournaments and avoid a lot of tedious grinding up TV.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2020 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Java wrote:

4) Stars! There's such a wide variety of choice here. Any team that can take Hakflem and does not have AG2+ players is at risk of being a target of the "Roxanna plus some Amazons" complaint. Only now it's snots, goblins, chorfs, chaos, etc.

Ironically unless there is a change to Amazons in a spike there will will be no more Roxanna plus some Amazons builds (which is unfortunate, because that was my main interest in NAF style) because the teams of legend pdf doesn't give them elf access. Also I checked and all the teams in the rulebook have at least 1 player with p access on singles or doubles. Chorfs are the only team in the ToL PDF without a single P access player.
nainaike

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2020 - 07:45 Reply with quote Back to top

sdvfgh
CAB

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2020 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't random skills be rolled once before each game?!?

That makes them more random and you only need the opponent to see the rolls no need to involve anyone else... you just have specified what type of random skill it is.
Java

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2020 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see the appeal of that. It's worth experimenting with, possibly allowing players a budget of SPPs to spend, so that not all are randoms. Possibly the statup option could be excluded, or maybe not, it's worth a thought.

I can see it making games slightly longer at least initially, as this is a new mechanic, and also because it can make people go back and check skills that are generally not used.

It could also cause confusion and faffing about with skill rings and ruubber bands, because gamers are creatures of habit and for so long we've played with teams that change very little or do not change at all from game to game in TT tournaments.

So yeah, all things to watch out for when designing a rulespack that allows random skills rolled game by game.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2020 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

1) It always could. In certain regions, this was the norm in CRP / BB2016. It remains at TO discretion how they do it, and I think it's most likely they'll carry on with what they've done before / what is popular in their local area. This sort of thing being in the rules may cause an uptick in these sorts of rulesets, but I don't think significantly so. I think for the better, personally, but I suspect that's to taste.

1 b) I'm sure there are ways and means of working in random skills if you want to do it. I think it is trickier at larger events, as suggested, but not impossible.

2) Again, I doubt there will be much change here. It's not uncommon now for things to be done this way, depending where you are.

3) Remains to be seen, I think. I'm not sure that things look more restrictive (and it will take about five minutes for TOs to creatively improve matters if they are), but we'll soon find out.

4) I think stars will be quite the hot potato. I expect more 'mainstream' (for want of a better word - 'on the map') tournaments to heavily restrict their use (probably to Stunties) or exclude them entirely. Others will embrace them fully, and it'll be my big man against your big man and a supporting cast. I'm sure we'll experience both flavours very quickly, and I'm also sure there will be strong feelings over which is the better way.
 Jump to: