30 coaches online • Server time: 08:02
Index Search Usergroups Profile
Log in
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Bb2020 Will you reti...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post BB 2020, Foul Appear...
SearchSearch 
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WhatBall



Joined: Aug 21, 2008

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Waagh wrote:
The negativity toward the new rules absolutely blows my mind... "Players demanding more money based on how long they have been playing and how good they are!? That's crazy talk!" "A salary cap!? What american football league has a salary cap! Dumb!" "You mean to tell me that players can't play 300 games!? You've ruins blood bowl in real life tons of players have played that many games!" It drives me straight up the wall.

This all makes perfect sense to me except,
...to finish the analogy it would be like the Chiefs winning the SB last year, then having to cut everyone except Mahomes and Hill, then hiring only Division II college kids to round out the rest of the team. Meanwhile players in their prime like Kelce and rest of the game are sent to a premature retirement. The cap in the NFL is nowhere near the 1350TV in BB. Maybe 2000(?) would be more realistic.

So a cap can work, but 1350 is really low (imo) for perpetual leagues like R or B, or L divisions that go over many many seasons. Really, 1350 is for table top players who run a couple seasons and want it to be consistently close amongst their group of 4 to 6 buddies. With so few teams a low cap makes all the sense in the world. The bigger the league, the less sense it makes.

Guess what I am saying is, I hope Christer house rules a bigger cap for R and B (or whatever they become) so it doesn't stagnate.

_________________
Image
koadah



Joined: Mar 30, 2005

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Jerry Rice played 303 games. That is part of the problem. We're gone from being NFL style to college/minor league style.

Instead of using the franchise tag or massaging the contracts to keep players, players seem to graduate or have to find a proper job. Wink

We're now stuck playing minor league ball.

_________________
Image
[SL] Old World Rumbble - Brand new teams only - ALWAYS recruiting
Waagh



Joined: Apr 13, 2019

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

well I'm done arguing here. o/
koadah



Joined: Mar 30, 2005

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:

Guess what I am saying is, I hope Christer house rules a bigger cap for R and B (or whatever they become) so it doesn't stagnate.


The cap is not even a rule. It is a "suggestion". The "suggestion" is 1300 so it is already "house-ruled".

I would be astonished if Secret League Open cut teams down anywhere near as far.. Twisted Evil

Events running in open [L]eague won't have seasons at all. Though they could have TW caps. Mr. Green

_________________
Image
[SL] Old World Rumbble - Brand new teams only - ALWAYS recruiting
ClayInfinity



Joined: Aug 15, 2003

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

So if you have to have 20k allocated to returning players and eventually you cut them, imagine if another team could pick up your cast offs and the site allowed us to do so?

You have a 3 skill DE Blitzed but hes costing you 40k in cap space? You cut him and he goes into a fumbbl hosted pool for a period of time (say 30 days) and another DE team could pick him up without the 40k fee.

It would allow individual players to form a meta history on the site and would make the redraft process a bit more interesting...

Sort of a Blood Bowl free agency?

Edit: Maybe a FA player gets Loner 2+? I am casting my mind back to the late 1980s and Free Booter rules??
Zlefin



Joined: Apr 14, 2005

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Waagh wrote:
The negativity toward the new rules absolutely blows my mind... "Players demanding more money based on how long they have been playing and how good they are!? That's crazy talk!" "A salary cap!? What american football league has a salary cap! Dumb!" "You mean to tell me that players can't play 300 games!? You've ruins blood bowl in real life tons of players have played that many games!" It drives me straight up the wall.


Why would it surprise you? People are often negative about new things; furthermore, fumbbl, of all places, is the most about getting to really long-term build a team. A team with large amounts of history, and with truly famous players and legends, who really give meaning to the term LEGENDARY. The new rules discourage the creation of true LEGENDS. Also, where do all these players go exactly? If they leave, where are they leaving for? It's not like they become star players; it's not like aging where at least it made some thematic sense; they just go *poof* and vanish into the aether.
koadah



Joined: Mar 30, 2005

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Teams legendary enough to be mentioned in the rulebook?

_________________
Image
[SL] Old World Rumbble - Brand new teams only - ALWAYS recruiting
WhatBall



Joined: Aug 21, 2008

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Zlefin wrote:
Why would it surprise you? People are often negative about new things; furthermore, fumbbl, of all places, is the most about getting to really long-term build a team. A team with large amounts of history, and with truly famous players and legends, who really give meaning to the term LEGENDARY. The new rules discourage the creation of true LEGENDS. Also, where do all these players go exactly? If they leave, where are they leaving for? It's not like they become star players; it's not like aging where at least it made some thematic sense; they just go *poof* and vanish into the aether.

This to me is what FUMBBL is all about. The idea that so many of the legendary teams would be cut to 1350 (or whatever TV) seems criminal. Teams that have 1000s of games with revered players and coaches. It would definitely not be the same without them.

_________________
Image
JanMattys



Joined: Feb 29, 2004

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Jerry Rice played 303 games. That is part of the problem. We're gone from being NFL style to college/minor league style.

Instead of using the franchise tag or massaging the contracts to keep players, players seem to graduate or have to find a proper job. Wink

We're now stuck playing minor league ball.


Well I'd argue a Bloodbowl career would be far shorter than a real football career, for many a reasons. If nothing else, because the ball is a spiked pigskin and half the opposing players would gladly literally eat your face lol.

Jokes aside, I'm in the "no more legendary teams is sad news" camp. Smile

_________________
Image
det



Joined: Oct 01, 2017

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, I always thought huge teams should have a home in leagues and not open play due to not being able to game the meta or pick opponents.

It should still be the case. Heck, leagues will have the option of keeping bb16 skilling method and not using bb20 seasons among other things...so no biggie for me.

Obvs I'm new enough that I never had a big team in R or B, so I don't really have that perspective.
koadah



Joined: Mar 30, 2005

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure that blood bowl players are more likely to die on the pitch than NFL players. Smile

I guess that some teams/coaches are better at protecting their stars than others.

I guess we'd better plug a famous team Mr. Green

_________________
Image
[SL] Old World Rumbble - Brand new teams only - ALWAYS recruiting
AzraelEVA



Joined: Nov 14, 2015

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

Jokes aside, I'm in the "no more legendary teams is sad news" camp. Smile

The rules don't stop legendary Teams, your Team can still win a couple of tournaments, they just prevent legendary Players.
uzkulak



Joined: Mar 30, 2004

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The strange thing is someone else hinted at is the skill progression rules are setup to allow legendary players to exist, it just wont be possible to have any actively playing.
koadah



Joined: Mar 30, 2005

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
The strange thing is someone else hinted at is the skill progression rules are setup to allow legendary players to exist, it just wont be possible to have any actively playing.


This is only really a Fumbbl "Competitive" division issue.

Everyone else can configure their seasons to allow legends or not have seasons at all. More options would be useful though.

Many people do fear that high/mid high TV will be worse than it was before as it will be easier to create stat/double freaks. Though +ST may now be too expensive to be any fun taking.

We'll see.

_________________
Image
[SL] Old World Rumbble - Brand new teams only - ALWAYS recruiting
Doofr



Joined: Nov 04, 2015

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2020 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Waagh wrote:
As for whining about the huge teams that "have to redraft" just don't redraft them put them on the shelf then in hopes that things change the way you want. I tell my children "Whining about it won't help you get your way, so muscle up buttercup, dry your tears and figure out how to make it better, and if you can't control it move on"


Chistler said lately that all teams should be automaticaly redrafted, so no option to not redraft our big teams.

_________________
Image
Display posts from previous:     
 Jump to:   
All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic