24 coaches online • Server time: 05:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Osiris101

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all!

I'm starting up a new Pro Elf team in fresh league and my first opponent is Halflings.

My original idea was to go a no Apothecary build with 3RR Thrower, 2x Catcher, 2x Blitzer and 6 Linemen, but I think that they may go a fouling heavy route.

Should I drop a RR for the Apothecary? Or drop a positional and keep the rerolls? Or just expect injuries and continue as planned?

Thoughts?
kozak

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

2 rerolls is enough with Pro Elf, and I think you should takes the apo. You rely so much on those precious positionals.
Fatyn

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Are the flings going to get a chef for game 1?
Fatyn

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The team you have listed is what I usually take starting out, but I don't play in leagues. Dropping a RR for an apothecary will likely reduce your chances of winning the game, but you run less risk of a permanent injury to one of your positionals.
I don't agree that 2 rerolls is enough for pro elves - they have no dodge on a rookie team, are squishy, and only 2 block - being cheap (enough to afford 3 rerolls) is one of the only advantages they have over other elf teams at the start.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Drop the RR, take the apo and when you can, get leader on the thrower when you can. If the league is bash heavy (Halfings round 1 aside), the apo will be needed!
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I do like to build pro elves with bench and focuse more on that.

So 2 Blitzers, 2 Throwers, 8 linos, 2 rerolls and Apo. 12 players and apo is really nice, pro elf catchers are really expensive and not needed to start with. And skill one thrower asap to leader.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, take a bench and foul them halflings back harder
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

MerryZ wrote:

So 2 Blitzers, 2 Throwers, 8 linos, 2 rerolls and Apo. 12 players and apo is really nice, pro elf catchers are really expensive and not needed to start with. And skill one thrower asap to leader.

Thats insane... how can you not start with the best Catcher in the game? Start with 2 and build to 4...
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
MerryZ wrote:

Thats insane... how can you not start with the best Catcher in the game? Start with 2 and build to 4...

I have done fine without catchers.

You pay almost double price from a catcher thats just a lino with better move and you do better to skill your blitzers first and get leader to thrower so you have rerolls.

Catchers start to be good after 2 skills and even then you should skill them one at a time.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:
MerryZ wrote:

My preferred start also. Pro elf catchers are actually one of the most inefficiently priced players in the game, and the more of them you start with the more detrimental it tends to be to the overall health of your team over time.

They reduce/remove your ability to start with a bench/apo or comfortable reroll buffer, which in turn makes the av7 of your roster hit more as you have less numbers, less RR to spend on dodges/blocks/fails (which the team can suffer plenty of with literally 2 block on the team and nothing else) and no apo to cover a removal. They also hog SPP being natural scorers, and also promote moving away from the 2-1 grind due to that natural scoring ability.

I personally prefer to start 0-1 catchers. Dropping them entirely allows you to get a bench + apo and lean into the other strengths of the team - low cost linos and annoying blitzers. Catchers can be added later and skill easily with a developed team around them.

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

2 blitzers, no catchers or throwers. 1 extra lineman.
Osiris101

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2021 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, thanks for the input everyone.

We were originally a smaller league and to allow for more development we ran a preseason round robin before the round robin that determined playoff seeding. We had a big influx of players and kept it the same so we effectively have a 13 game preseason with a 13 game season afterwards.

I'm not sure if the longer opportunity to develop the team should change the start. Or if it just becomes more of a wash with the long season anyways.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2021 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

If you plan to use 2020 rules then 26 matches is long between redrafting! Even with 2016 it is quite a lot. A game a week for 6 months? But sounds fun as long as you do reasonably well. Is this TT?

At least you start against Halflings. So if you go the no bench or apo route it PROBABLY won't hurt you.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2021 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

It's on BB2 so 2016 rules. We went from 10 teams to 14, so 18 to 26 matches. I nearly got to the finals with Vampires (failed a re-rolled GFI >< to fail to score in turn 16 to lose instead of force an overtime where I was up 4 or more players).

Skaven is my usual team (and I have a TT team for them) so trying something different.
Thresh

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2021 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro elf catchers are the best... you need them. I think the original setup with 3 rerolls and no apo works best.

Have extra reroll so that you can reroll dodges so your people are not on the ground as much, if they are not on the ground as much, they are less likely to get injured. Therefore the apo is no necessary.

Only reason to get it in my opinion is to have insurance in case an unlucky block or snakes, etc.

Pro elf catchers are incredible.
 Jump to: