33 coaches online • Server time: 01:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2024 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

After 5 minutes of further thought.. I think the simplicity of the toggle switch would just make it too easy for coaches to dance around each other and try and avoid matches they don't like.

I think the default setting, or default mind-set should always be.. I'm going to play what the scheduler gives.

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2024 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
I have not thought about it enough to know, but I suspect part of the problem might be admin not easily being able to tell who is Coach A and who is Coach B.

There might be no easy way to confirm who was the tardy person with less options than the coach who was on time.

In my experience the admin will ask to be added to a PM conversation between coaches and from that it should be pretty clear who is unresponsive. If they don't it might be because they can tell from reputation who's who, or because they don't have time to do thorough research. Either would be acceptable to me on a volunteer run platform.

Of course it could always be a a slip up by an (inexperienced) admin which again I would find acceptable on a volunteer run platform.

That leaves the point that there may be people dodging the odd hard matchup. I'm not arguing that your observation is wrong and agree that it could logically speaking happen.

But in practical terms I think I have had an issue with a box opponent probably 5-10 times or so. People disappearing mid game have probably cost me 2 or 3 wins like that. But that's in 8 years of playing box and a couple of thousand of games. The effect (if any) on the BBT should be close to zero, close enough I believe for us to accept it as part of playing for free on fumbbl.
Carthage

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2024 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a few games unscheduled out of the thousand I've played in the last... 3 years, man I play too many games. Usually from newer coaches rage quitting their 1 die skull and thinking clicking the X on the viewer ended the game.
Give it takes creating a forum post in the discord, and interacting with an admin to direct them to the game you are talking about, it seems probable that were someone gamifying it with any degree of consistency it would be picked up on.
I think the easier to see path to gaming the black box system is trying to figure out when the best players are typically active and queueing up not during that time.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2024 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
I have not thought about it enough to know, but I suspect part of the problem might be admin not easily being able to tell who is Coach A and who is Coach B.

ah yes... did not think on this.
This can be solved if coach A open the ticket with appropriate prompt like "hello I am the coach who is waiting since 15 minutes other coach: please don't unschedule the game, i would like the flowchart diagram will be followed, thanks in advance"
the important point is to open the support ticket in discord as soon as PM message is sent after 15 mins

there is always the possibility of cheating if Coach B sends a ticket in discord to the admins after 1 minutes asking them to delete the game and hoping the admin will react before 14 minutes (so before Coach A open his ticket) Twisted Evil

but honestly we are here in the spy movies realm Smile Smile
I think that the occurrence of a dishonest deletion request is really rare also because sooner or later this practice would be discovered and also because rarely a ticket is solved in 1 minutes (despite the excellent performance of our staff on a voluntary basis, which is sometimes more efficient than the - paid - IT support of many multinationals!) Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2024 - 18:30
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

While there's too much pointless arguing and name-calling in this thread, I posted a response as a blog entry: https://fumbbl.com/p/blog&c=Christer&id=25060

The core topic is important enough to warrant a more public response, and on top of that response I want to stress that certain people posting in this thread should perhaps take a little chill pill and stay objective. There is no need for name-calling and being aggressive, semantically wrapped in thin veneer or not.
asteflix

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

My experience with The_Murker in a competitive setting ; a comprehensive breakdown.

I first got to meet The_Murker in a competitive setting in the league ''Draft League Europe'', or DLE for short. The league is modeled after the NFL where there is a draft before a season start where teams can pickup already skilled players, with the pick order being done same as the NFL where the worst team picks first.

In season 6 of DLE, The_Murker as the Unicorns blatantly and intentionally lost as many games as possible and went 0 wins, 1 draw and 13 losses in the season. Other coaches such as Arcayn, Spelledaren, chimp2020, captainrhino to name a few were also witness to that behavior.

To now claim that he is bringing this topic for the good of the game feels dishonest to me, and it feels disingenuous.

An example of The_Murker losing intentionally in a competitive setting :

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4008737

This is one example of a coach where I do not want to spend time playing, regardless of racial matchup or whatever and would rather get the game unscheduled than play him, if we were to get matched in box.

Thank you, and have a great day.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure there's a need for that immediately after a Christer post that starts "While there's too much pointless arguing and name-calling in this thread..."
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to pile-on if I could, and point out that, because it was an NFL based league, so the fluff kind of assumed you had a big fan base that would not want you to lose games on purpose, that if was league policy at the time that you had to make it kind of look like you were trying to win the game, even if you were trying to lose it.

So no running away.. no intentionally failing GFI for no reason. You had to be seen trying to win.. or at least not intentionally losing.

It was fun going 0-1-13 in that context, and the result led to some good draft picks, and a successful following season. It was a league environment, so as long as the league admin didn't kick me out, FUMBBL in general doesn't care in the slightest.

That's not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. That league was pretty cut-throat at the time, with some great coaches as competition, so below average teams were destined to rot at the bottom without desperate measures, IMO. I played the long game, took the extreme route, and didn't mind doing it.

There is presently very good admin staff in that DLE league, and I recommend anyone who likes playing humans gets involved if you have the time. I'm not there any more, so it has that going for it too.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2024 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

be kind, for Nuffle's sake.
you never know when you'll misclick again

Jump to: