23 coaches online • Server time: 09:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is the new Piling On rule overpowered?
Yes - strength teams were too good already before this.
53%
 53%  [ 31 ]
Yes - but I hate elves so much I'm in favour of it.
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
No - but I only play against halflings anyway.
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Definitely not - whatever rate players die will balance itself.
31%
 31%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 58

Glomp

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2004 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I never play chess, monopoly, checkers, etc anymore

Hey I know maybe I should write to the guy who made chess and get him to change the rules! Those queens are so broken they need changing, and pawns suck! They can't do anything. ooh ooh and maybe we should give the white player a chainsaw!

Yeah that'd make it more fun.

Bloodbowls been going for a long tme without major changes. In fact after the last rules change sales dried up and GW considered ending production. This seems to incicate they aren't fast learners :/

oh err hangon in bloodbowl they only needed to change the kickoff and handicap tables - what the hell is going on?

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2004 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Hm.
I really don't care about changes. Some are even good. I'm not forced to play the new BB. (and to buy anymore of this GW stuff) For instance, I like the injury rule where you roll on a seperate table to see what happens to your player if he's injured.

Some changes are just silly tinkering. I'm in this GW Stuff for some years now. Every now and then they create new rules for their games. 'Making them more fun and easier to understand. And erasing all this confusing stuff'. Fact is: The new ones have an equal amount of FAQs. It's interesting when you see the re-implement a rule that was integrated into a older version of the game and changed due to 'playability'.

They just want to keep their business runnning. What should people buy if they have no questions and all miniatures? No White Dwarfs, no minis, and no games...

But the point is: There are lots of players who cheers whenever GW says that they have a new better rule. Hey let's take the Treemen of the Woodelve Roster! They make them too hard! *CHEER*
One Year (mayber two or more) later: Hey let's take Treemen into the Woodelve Roster! That will make them more playable! *CHEER*

I just want to play BB. And it's like inquisitorpustus said: Scrabble, Monopoly or even games like BattleTech are running with the same rules for years. And i like most of the 'old' BB rules. That's why i'm looking for a possibility to do something like this FUMBBL thing without having to use that amount of 'bad' rules. I want a Treeman throwing a Halfing without fumbling almost automaticly. AND I want my Halfing to make a injury roll if the Treeman fumbles and the Halfling goes down. I want my Apo to roll if he can rescue my player and not just rerolling the injury roll. I want to roll a 6 sided die for each Fan-Faktor my team has. I want to...

There's no problem in changing rules. And I know that you can't satisfay anyone. But I'd be glad to play Bood Bowl and not some other Fantasy Football game. Or would you be happy if you're keen on a good old game of Monopoly and someone says 'Oh! before you can buy this you have to make the an availability roll. Wait i'll look up for the modifiers...' ??? Maybe a nice feature but not Monopoly.

Buy the way: If you have a Ogre Team and are allowed to have 12 of them in your team now, what are you doing if you play the Boardgame, being a nice customer? Wink
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2004 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Steeljoker: Maybe the OLBBL would be more your thing.
You won't get a client that's as nice, but the ruleset might be more to your liking.
If you know of it already, me bad. Just popping in for a sec.

As for this topic... I'm usually hugely opposed to change. For some reason, I kinda like most of the new vault rules. Weird. Must be something in the water.

I'm all in favour of more elves dieing, btw. :p
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2004 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah I checked out the OLBBL. Its so badly run its untrue.

Some us us would just like an oldies division where we could play our sad old rules without disturbing you lot.

Respect your elders! Laughing

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2004 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

I'm all in favour of more elves dieing, btw. :p

Must be why you like the vault rules then :/

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2004 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe.

no it's the first time i hear of OLBBL. I'll take a look. But i REALLY like this Java Client. I'm just wondering what it's able to do. I'd be satisfied if this thing let's me play 4th Ed. Games. If that is possible i'd be glad if it has an interface to build my own Site including the client. I'm sure i could tinker long enought to have the java prog doing what i want, but it'd last ages and i'm not sure if it's allowed... Wink
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2004 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well christers the man with the plan.

ask him. Wink

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2004 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Play around with the options a bit and see if you can get something close to the edition you want. There are a few legacy settings in the options menu that might get you close, at least.

As far as running your own league, I commend you. Too damn many people would just whine and try to say, "Christer should do this because I want it that way." I started working on a much simpler package that you could install on your own webserver and run sort of a (very, very crude) FUMBBL-Lite if you wanted to try something. Maybe I'll get back to work on it when I have some free time.

{ edit: Oh yeah. Changing the client is a SkiJunkie thing, not a Christer thing. He's stated explicitly that he's keeping the code to himself because it's his project and he wants control over it. Good. More power to him. If I was making a painting, I sure wouldn't want to release it under the GPL so that anyone who wanted to could scribble all over the thing if they wanted - that'd be daft. This is the same sort of thing. }

{ edited editing: Re: Static battletech rules? All good battletech stopped after 3025. Clans, Schmans. FA$A did the same thing that you were complaining about, only possibly even worse. }

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2004 - 08:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Steel Joker most of the old rules are still in the Client

Thmbscrws My example of an all Jump up Woodelf team is actually a fairly good roster For the VAULT rules not the current rules because under the vault rules Jumpup is just an AG skill so why not take it I mean your opponents are going to do some damage bringing you down so why shouldnt you design your team to be able to play (and even win) from prone.
Britnoth

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2004 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

thmbscrws, I don't think my maths is too far away from what will happen. I often make 2-3 blocks a turn in faction against elves, and rolling a 5+ on 2 dice is 55%, 4+ 75%, so if not all elves have block then I don't consider 30 armour rolls that extreme....

As for the new PO being somewhere between what it is now and the old players strength to armour roll, the only thing to say is did you read what I posted? I included those figures because if I didn't, all we would hear is 'this is just whining you have nothing to back it up'. You can't ignore the figures - old PO rule with str 3 and mighty blow was 23% chance of casualty against av7. With this new rule, PO + mb is 31% - proving it is much better at causing casualties against low armour than before. If they decided it was too good and then changed it, why are they substantially improving the skill again along with near crippling the apoth and no more aging? From what I see, elf teams get nothing so far except mng's being discounted for inducements... everything else is built to improve bashy teams, and their killing skills at that.
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2004 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Because they are eagerly waiting for someone as brilliant as you to let them know how bad it really is in playtesting. Then they are going to treat it just like fouling. If you roll a double on the AV roll, your player will be ejected.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2004 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

well, your example if flawed in a way britnoth, when you got a KO on the injury roll you'll often decide to take it instead of rerolling...
 Jump to: