36 coaches online • Server time: 01:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What skill to take for Maglon?
Dauntless
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Pro
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Fend
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Diving tackle
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Frenzy
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Other (please specify)
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Pie!
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 28

Bram

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2020 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

Maglon, wardancer of the Silver Guardians, earned his fifth regular skill. What should he take?

He already has tackle, strip ball, wrestle and sidestep.

I don't like frenzy on a wardancer; if you leap in for a -2d on the ball and kick it loose on the first block, you still have to make a second block, which may very well cause a turnover.

Perhaps dauntless? Pro? Fend? Diving tackle?

I'm leaning towards dauntless. Perhaps pro.

What do you think?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2020 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello.
Dauntless.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2020 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi bram,

it is mostly a matter of taste and playstyle here. For me it would be diving tackle.

The leap/strip trick is great but you are good enough already, esp. with your +st dancer, which is why I wouldnt pick dauntless. I had it once and hardly used it. Playstyle.

The higher in tv you go, the fewer the chances for leap/strip. So you need other ways to put stress on your opponent and dt helps me a lot in it. Frenzy would be another. Taste.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2020 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Alternatively, just fire him and cycle.
5 skills and no double/+stat, he's not special, and Strip Ball is quite useless at high TV.
Java

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2020 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

frenzy

diving tackle if you don't mind him being fouled and you want to use him as an expensive marker

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2020 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

No one makes a point for pro?

Or fend?

I don't cycle undamaged players. Perhaps I'll give him diving tackle, then he'll be cycled soon enough.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2020 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Fend is not really of much value on a dancer with the lack of PO now - most of the times he'll be hit repeatedly is post sack attempt, where sidesteps put him into more blocks most of the time anyway, and DT would have much higher value.

Pro is probably "okay" in the sense he makes a lot of rolls in some sequences where the TRR may go early, but it also affects turn ordering. Other skills have the same impact on the game without messing with that. With an st4 WD he's not really even primary sack choice, so the potential pro benefit there is reduced.

Dauntless would be fine if he was primary blitzer, but he's not, and frankly at high tv almost every sack attempt with an st3 WD *should* be -2d due to guard placement, and wrackle strip is as good as it gets for that.

DT is good here.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2020 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

DT is good.

But also, have you considered Jump Up? Synergizes with the Wrestle and Side Step that he already has. Can be really good in the aftermath of a leap play, whether he wrestled the ball to the ground, got knocked over inside the cage, or failed the leap he can get back in the action even if the ball has since repositioned.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2020 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

To maximize sack chance then Frenzy, but bram said he doesn't like it (ideally Dauntless and Frenzy if he had not used a slot for Strip Ball).
About not being the primary blitzer: Dauntless is nice to deal with high ST players, which are common at high TV.
I have 2 Witch Elves with Dauntless and they are very useful vs Big Guys, ST 4 players, ST 5 with Tentacles etc.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2020 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

He has enough tricks with the other players on his team
He just needs reliable blocks during the turn to do all the fun Elf stuff lol
Maybe just JU? ..keep your team speed/range up always helps

Bram

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2020 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I hadn't thought about jump up. It's a skill I rarely use. I don't think I've ever given it to a player. Of course witch elves start with it and it comes in handy.

Still, I think I will go with diving tackle. Not an obvious pick for a wardancer that you want to keep safe, but I mostly shun skills involving dice (pro, dauntless, jump up). And diving tackle offers synergy with block, dodge, sidestep and tackle.

I see the point of being able to blitz ST4 or even ST5 players with dauntless, but I have a ST wardancer already (of course, he can be removed from the pitch...).
Charlesson

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2020 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Give him dirty player - if you want to hide him on bench against bashing/fouling team, do it with some style...

Think outside of the box....
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2020 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

What About Shadowing?
Bram

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2020 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadowing is an interesting option. Didn't consider that. But in the end I think chances of causing a turnover are higher with diving tackle.

I opted for diving tackle.
 Jump to: