35 coaches online • Server time: 12:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PotionOfStrength

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2020 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

Does there exist anywhere a chess style 'Blood Bowl Openers' book/blog/site?

I have been watching Queens Gambit on netflix, lots of references to chess books (OK the game is a bit older and a fair bit more mainstream)

but was thinking there is a bit of a gap in the bb world... I mean there are plenty of advice articles on out there regarding team setup and best practices, but has anyone done anything on opening moves? attacking or defending I suppose.

I guess the differences between chess and BB are that BB has many more variables (skills, player stats, dice rolls, etc)
But given we all try to play the percentages when we play - not make risky moves first etc, I would have thought this might be something everyone would want to read and learn from...

or am I taking this game a bit too seriously?

Cheers
Mattius

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2020 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

These 2 you may find interesting.

https://fumbbl.com/help:Thousand+Losses+Playbook

This one has a huge amount of content and depth (scroll down their page)
https://bloodbowlstrategies.com/en/
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2020 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been meaning to watch that, are you enjoying it?

With blood bowl I suppose an awful lot depends on the two teams, the setup of the opposing team and where the ball lands. I think it's more about having the fundamentals in order to create a strong position with respect to these variables rather than too much of a scrripted opening.

Having said that, there are plenty of sources describing how to go about playing your opening turn but perhaps not to the depth you are describing. Presumably you've seen the strategy section on this site. I'm sure you'd enjoy Wreckage's 1000 losses playbook linked there, if you haven't read it.
dolphinandrew

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2020 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoyed Queen's Gambit. Chess is represented quite nicely in it.

Blood bowl is probably a bit too varied for standard openings (beyond nonspecific advice - bash the LOS as much as possible, blitz a nice target, get ball), and of course uses dice. You can't give a standard opening since you don't know what or where the opponent pieces will be, or the ball, or what the kick-off result will be.

'Blood bowl problems' similar to chess problems do exist though, even if stated probabilistically. E.g. surf this piece with odds > 50-50, etc.
neilwat

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2020 - 13:44
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

BB is very varied so those opening moves are not as easy. You could have opening ideas e.g is it rush one side or make a solid line, cover deep, out early pressure on. There would even be a broad range of these to consider.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Nov 05, 2020 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I embrace chess analogue.
- Control the middle. Middle is given on a chess board, but it is moving in blood bowl.
- Queen's gambit equivalent is giving the rope to the opponent to hang themselves onto. Like giving a difficult sack attempt, while gaining positional advantage elsewhere.
- Material advantage is very translatable too
I could go on and on. And yes, openings are important. I could not have been arsed to learn all the lexical knowledge of chess openings, but i have less problem with it in blood bowl.