57 coaches online • Server time: 23:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

All this complaining about high TV, yet so few people actually play at high TV.
Even MattDakka when he was complaining, has most of his [B] teams in the 1400-1600k TV range, with the biggest at 2060k

Yes, because I don't like high TV (the game is very unbalanced), yet I had to have a high TV team myself in case somebody monoactivated a 2000+ team.
I could have just cycled teams over and over again but I don't like that either.
The other teams of mine were kept at lower TV because I don't like high TV (even when I'm the overdog), so just 1 high TV team was enough.
I could have had more high TV teams but, considering that high TV is Clawmb or AG 4, the range of playable races would have been very narrow. I like variety.

koadah wrote:
The new Competitive Division rules kill off a whole dimension of the game when all they needed to do was trim a few monsters.

I agree. There was a better compromise between super high TV teams and boring low TV teams (mostly tier 1) with predictable builds (such as hard cap, limiting the stat boosts to +1 per characteristic, reducing the skill slots from 6 to 5 if necessary). Being able to almost pin-point the +stats on a specific player is something I hate. The skill ups used to be an exciting stage of the game for me.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

koadah wrote:
The new Competitive Division rules kill off a whole dimension of the game when all they needed to do was trim a few monsters.

I agree. There was a better compromise between super high TV teams and boring low TV teams (mostly tier 1) with predictable builds (such as hard cap, limiting the stat boosts to +1 per characteristic, reducing the skill slots from 6 to 5 if necessary). Being able to almost pin-point the +stats on a specific player is something I hate. The skill ups used to be an exciting stage of the game for me.

If Matt and I can agree then it must be true. Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Aside : Sp00keh, you made my day with this :
"ThierryM your biggest [R] team is 1820k and [B ] team is 1930k"
Biaised vision of what a "big" team is supposed to be. TV ain't all I think.
Just for your information, This is what I consider to be my "biggest" team, by far... 109/70/137 (almost 1/4th of my 1387 games on Fumbbl, Yes I know, I'm such a monomaniac...)

Main subject : I still can't manage to calculate what will be left of my Big Team after the merge / redraft treatment.
Anyone here is able to reassure me ?

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems that you are not even going to get the full 1350. Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
All this complaining about high TV, yet so few people actually play at high TV.
Even MattDakka when he was complaining, has most of his [B] teams in the 1400-1600k TV range, with the biggest at 2060k

Ideally, all sorts of players should be serviced by the game. I, personally, despise playing at low TV. It is a major impediment to creating new teams for me. Just knowing that I have to slog through a boring, luck-ridden, painful set of games is enough to give me pause creating any new team.(Did I mention how boring low TV is? This is a game, right? Supposed to be fun, right?)

I prefer the mid to higher TV range and seek out that area to play. This new ruleset chops a lot of that off and then actively seeks to kill interesting players by use of the redrafting.

There are some positive advancements, but for people like me that like unique players or building a team or even just the thrill of the dice roll for skills and the possibilities...well, this ruleset trashes a lot of that.
Garion26

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

It's very odd I know we have people who clearly prefer the higher TV BB in this thread but - what percent of fumbbl teams hit the 20 game or say 1800 TV mark even?

Online leagues allow for people to run teams through far far more games then in person games do. BB was designed for in person leagues where the number of games doesn't hit the dozens and dozens. You may run an in person team multiple seasons but for boredom reasons alone people tend to switch over time or the league folds before we get to the heights of some of the most famous stars of FUMBBL. Clearly some teams (high base stats low starting skill rosters) do better at higher TV.

It seems to be worrying about an odd place (super high TV, long run teams) where few teams get, and the core rules aren't really designed for. If someone really wants to run those long teams couldn't you just create a league with no redraft and have it open to people who want to run those teams?
Garion26

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

ThierryM wrote:
Aside : Sp00keh, you made my day with this :
"ThierryM your biggest [R] team is 1820k and [B ] team is 1930k"
Biaised vision of what a "big" team is supposed to be. TV ain't all I think.
Just for your information, This is what I consider to be my "biggest" team, by far... 109/70/137 (almost 1/4th of my 1387 games on Fumbbl, Yes I know, I'm such a monomaniac...)

Main subject : I still can't manage to calculate what will be left of my Big Team after the merge / redraft treatment.
Anyone here is able to reassure me ?

By the way lovely team I appreciate the theming!

Looks like you are calculated at getting 1285 to rebuy a roster currently worth 1340 if I'm understanding the next post.

That's not bad at all - cut one skilled player and you've got all your people back it appears.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion - some of these teams have hundreds, a few thousand, games behind them. Obviously people get attached to those teams. Could people, yes, but this also drastically changes the way FUMBBL was, for years. So, no, it's not odd.

I really question lizards and chaos long term play. Both need the spp to build up slowly.
Kzarik

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion -

Given the way low hard caps and redrafting will push play, why not lobby Christer to relent on the naming rules and just let the players be named 1, 2, 3, etc?

I jest and think that is a terrible idea, but the concept matches the environment. A lot of players don't want their pixels to be nameless, faceless mooks. I get the super high TV argument and am aware(mostly through other guys that played BB long before I did) that the 2500 TV world is a pretty recent development. Personally, I'm not even talking about that world. I'm talking about teams pushing or just over 2k.

Couple that with the rules that will have redrafted players cost extra, which is my primary irritation with this ruleset, and I don't know that I'll be making the competitive division a priority.

I've always been more of a league player. US time zones on FUMBBL push me that way as well as my own preferences for teams with history and meaning. So saying, make a league for these things, is all well and good, but you are also saying without saying that players that enjoy a different environment should "suck it up and deal".

In a lot of ways, I don't think that this is a criticism of FUMBBL, but rather a criticism of GW and what its incentives produce.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Kzarik wrote:
Ideally, all sorts of players should be serviced by the game. I, personally, despise playing at low TV. It is a major impediment to creating new teams for me. Just knowing that I have to slog through a boring, luck-ridden, painful set of games is enough to give me pause creating any new team.

You say that but you've created so many teams! Very Happy
83 teams including retired and 1519 games = 18.3 games played per team average
Average TV is 1450.5k

Redraft actually pushes every team towards the mid-range 1350-1700k sort of area
So you should be pleased, because mid-tv seems to be the intended range of these rules

You don't have to create a new team at the end of each season right, it's just a redraft
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

@ThierryM I do love the all-skele team and they won't work the same in the new rules unfortunately.
It will be sort of possible, but not the same

Fumbbl has been a good home for a lot of crazy thematic teams like that, which can only exist in the rarefied air of a open perpetual environment.

I mean,... we're talking about [C] which is the Competitive division so some things are to be expected.
Consider it a different set of constraints within which to build your themed teams?
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Kzarik wrote:
Ideally, all sorts of players should be serviced by the game. I, personally, despise playing at low TV. It is a major impediment to creating new teams for me. Just knowing that I have to slog through a boring, luck-ridden, painful set of games is enough to give me pause creating any new team.

You say that but you've created so many teams! Very Happy
83 teams including retired and 1519 games = 18.3 games played per team average
Average TV is 1450.5k

Redraft actually pushes every team towards the mid-range 1350-1700k sort of area
So you should be pleased, because mid-tv seems to be the intended range of these rules

You don't have to create a new team at the end of each season right, it's just a redraft

Are you being serious or just taking the piss?

I think that at least for some people it is the ******* redraft that is pissing them off.

Post   Posted: Jan 07, 2022 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes I know the redraft itself is the problem because it cuts teams which is a painful thing to face
My guess is the idea of it will be worse than the actual process of it

Anyway I was addressing his points about not wanting to play low TV and not wanting to make new teams all the time - he won't have to do either of those things

Do you read the Kzarik quote differently from that?
Also he's created 83 teams which is loads and contradicts some of his own point
Thresh

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2022 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone want to start playing bb2016 blackbox with me again then? Very Happy
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jan 08, 2022 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

i mean i've created loads of teams, but i now only create teams for 1 reason: i want to join a league and they won't let me bring in a developed team.

I have a team specifically designed for bb2020 in box, and i have a team that i will play until my last surviving original player dies (and I'll use a scroll of resurrect on him if i ever can) in ranked.. but i won't make new C teams, because I'm waiting to convert over my old teams.
 Jump to: